Hurricane Irene 08/27/2011 05:40 PM CDT
Central North Carolina checking in here. Lost power a couple times, once for about an hour but that's it, no major damage or anything. My thoughts and prayers go out to those along the coast and still in the path of the storm. Stay safe!

-Amber
player of many
Re: Hurricane Irene 08/27/2011 06:03 PM CDT
I'm expecting to lose power tomorrow night up here in southern NH, but that's because my area loses power if someone sneezes too loudly in the direction of the lines.

--
You quietly whisper to Tolomyn, "I would like 'an unpretentious albugineous rumchunder dress whorled with chrysochlorous penniform arabesques', please."
>
You gaze hopefully at Tolomyn.
>
Tolomyn stares at you.
Re: Hurricane Irene 08/28/2011 01:22 PM CDT
The storm came and went here without any real issue for my place. Though I know other parts of town don't have power, and have some flooding. Hopefully everyone else who gets a visit from this classy lady Irene gets through it okay.

-Kilthal

"He came like the wind, like the wind touched everything, and like the wind was gone."

"For all that this may cause Hell to freeze over, I agree with Kilthal." -Siwas
Re: Hurricane Irene 08/28/2011 05:30 PM CDT
By the time it his Boston, it weakened a lot. Pretty much not a huge deal in the city. Power and internet both stayed intact!

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Hurricane Irene 08/29/2011 05:55 AM CDT
We are back in the Chesapeake, safe and sound. We fled to DC with the wee one; first time I didn't just ride it out.

Still no lights, but we are crashing with family for the time being.

Godefroy

Morvule hisses, "Ssssally ssssellssss sssseashellssss by the sssseasssshore."
Re: Hurricane Irene 08/29/2011 10:30 AM CDT
Living in South Florida I'm used to being "disappointed" by hurricanes. Most of them are just boring thunderstorms that you spent a lot of time and effort preparing for.

Drew/Chiv

Proud inventor of the Droit ballista and the Droitapult.

Invasion canary in the coal mine.
Re: Hurricane Irene 08/29/2011 10:35 AM CDT
Oh don't worry, we might get lucky and get power back within a week! I think you might get them up first though, Godefrey. Even our cell towers are out.
Re: Hurricane Irene 08/29/2011 12:00 PM CDT
>Oh don't worry, we might get lucky and get power back within a week! I think you might get them up first though, Godefrey. Even our cell towers are out.

Eek, good luck. We got power back around 6:30 this am, and internet back around 10 or so. Benefit of that last Nor'Easter? All the weak limbs from this hurricane were already down, so the damage was apparently further up the line.

Good luck!

~Godefroy

Morvule hisses, "Ssssally ssssellssss sssseashellssss by the sssseasssshore."
Re: Hurricane Irene 08/31/2011 04:40 PM CDT
Unfortunately when you work for the man (insurance company) you see this happen a lot. I hope everyone made it safely and power is restored in a semi-orderly fashion.
Re: Hurricane Irene 09/01/2011 04:11 PM CDT
Just made it back home myself & got power back this afternoon. I timed my trip to PAX just right, flying out immediately after the first earthquake & returning right when electricity is restored. Woohoo!

- Overlord EK
Re: Hurricane Irene 09/01/2011 04:39 PM CDT
Hey, EK, are you still down around Surry? Was wondering how bad they got hit down there. A coworker from Disputanta told me he had almost a foot of water in his yard. Richmond is still a mess. Power is out all over town, from one end to the other. I couldn't say how many but I know my sister and niece are without still since Sat. and so is her boyfriend. I'm glad you got your power back and hope you had fun at PAX. Glad you're safe.

~Galenok
Re: Hurricane Irene 09/01/2011 05:47 PM CDT
If you really want bad, our power company on their website is reporting our entire county as having power, and most of it doesn't. In fact, the main government building is still out.
Re: Hurricane Irene 09/02/2011 03:10 PM CDT
Hey thanks! Yeah, I'm in Surry for less than one week before I move to a new site up in Woodbridge. My park got slammed pretty hard - one of the three worst hit - and we finally opened our gates today to the public. Not much structural damage, thankfully, but we've had tons of downed trees.

PAX was incredible. It keeps getting better each year. I can't wait for East next April, and also MAGFest in January. :)

- Overlord EK