Sand Beetles - Where you at? 12/09/2012 03:59 AM CST
Spend a good while on the North Beach looking for Sand Beetles last night, and found no sign of them. Has their spawn location changed?
Re: Sand Beetles - Where you at? 12/09/2012 05:26 AM CST

Last character that hunted dark shamblers encountered a beetle or two. They only spawned for me in that ring along with shamblers and I got the impression they acted a bit more like roa'ters in the lake, ie a random hazard.

Lochiven
Re: Sand Beetles - Where you at? 12/09/2012 05:33 AM CST
Yeah, we are looking for a safe 30-35ish hunting area in the Landing/Solhaven, and this seemed a good choice. Nothing else has seemed very appealing. Sucks that they aren't a normally spawning enemy then.
Re: Sand Beetles - Where you at? 12/09/2012 04:20 PM CST

Pookas are about the safest that come to mind. Rotting corpses in Varunar are also excellent hunting AS LONG AS you know to run like the bejeezus when a roa'ter is in the worm.

Lochiven
Re: Sand Beetles - Where you at? 12/09/2012 07:16 PM CST
>>run like the bejeezus when a roa'ter is in the worm.<<

Heeeh; a bit of a Freudian slip there. You mean "room" and not "worm".

Also, be advised that the roaters there can chase you, if you hang aroung long enough for them to target you. They can follow you into the Castle (they can burrow under the node but can't erupt into the sanctuary, but they can pop out into the normal rooms on the first floor). Also, they can follow under the bridge; I once had one follow me back to town as far as the switchbacks. Pesky things!

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Sand Beetles - Where you at? 12/09/2012 07:50 PM CST
>Pookas are about the safest that come to mind.

Biggest issue: The hunting is for three of my characters and one of my friend's characters. Three of the four use claidhmores (one is a cleric with a sancted 4x greatsword, so he would be fine). Ideally, we need a corporeal living target.

I'm very much considering some very cautious uphunting of Kiramon, but I hate Darkstone for the inconvenience factor, so we are considering the move to Illistim at this point just for better Kiramon hunting.
Re: Sand Beetles - Where you at? 12/09/2012 08:28 PM CST
Bandit tasks should be a breeze with a mob like that and with 4 of you to ask for tasks, you should get them pretty often.

Kiramon also exist on Teras, though the elven ones are the easiest to get to. With a Voln master in the group Darkstone is almost as easy to SEEK out.
Re: Sand Beetles - Where you at? 12/09/2012 09:14 PM CST
>>Three of the four use claidhmores (one is a cleric with a sancted 4x greatsword, so he would be fine). Ideally, we need a corporeal living target.<<

I should like to point out that claidhmores have some serious drawbacks. OK, they are massively crit weighted; but they can't hit undead or magical creatures (unless of course you are a paladin and bonded to a claidh, in which case you can hit anything, or you have paid a bunch of cash for a magic metal claidh). They are also slow. My gals who use THWs have 7x mauls, flails or mattocks, and are quite happy with them. And, they can all be blessed!

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Sand Beetles - Where you at? 12/09/2012 09:14 PM CST
Oh, PS, I have a 7x maul up for sale :)

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Sand Beetles - Where you at? 12/09/2012 11:38 PM CST
>Bandit tasks should be a breeze with a mob like that and with 4 of you to ask for tasks

I should clarify; I have three characters all on the same account which I am alternating between who are looking for an enemy at that level. I have a friend with one character who is the same. So its just the two of us, with my characters switching between whoever has Serenity at the time.

Of my three, only one is not claidh oriented, and that same one is the only one in Voln.

>Kiramon also exist on Teras, though the elven ones are the easiest to get to. With a Voln master in the group Darkstone is almost as easy to SEEK out.

I'd rather go to the Nations than Teras, especially since my friend is relatively new to Gemstone and already finds the Landing to be "too lonely". Any other city will simply be too unpopulated. Illistim is a possibility, but anything else . . .

And yeah, only my cleric is in Voln, and isn't even close to mastered yet.

>I should like to point out that claidhmores have some serious drawbacks.

I know. I've messed with a variety of other weapons before, and I find it difficult to be satisfied with melee weapons that don't deliver the punch of a claidhmore. The one who DOES use other weapons has a sancted 4x maul, two-handed sword, and flamberge, and the difference (to me) is tremendous.

>Oh, PS, I have a 7x maul up for sale :)

I'd consider it if I thought I could afford it. My assets are quite limited.
Re: Sand Beetles - Where you at? 12/12/2012 10:25 AM CST
Ended up doing Skeletal Giants in Sentoph. While undead (and requiring secondary, blessable weapons), and despite the somewhat dangerous Storm Giants lurking around, they are pretty simple and easy, and are working great.