Sword and board to pure 12/04/2017 07:14 PM CST
With empaths getting an extra fixskills in a couple days, I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and finally get rid of my girl's sword and shield. Found her a nice fire flaring runestaff for the trolls she's barbecuing in the Keep and fixskilled away her OHE and Shield training.

With the TPs I got back, I was able to bring her PF from 1x to 2x, get Transformation Lore up to 50 ranks (to use REGENERATE 2x a day and DF for 1110), and get 34 ranks in Transference Lore (with the goal of getting it to 50 to transfer scars). As it stands, this is her training at level 52:

Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 5 1
Physical Fitness...................| 208 108
Arcane Symbols.....................| 99 23
Magic Item Use.....................| 122 31
Spell Aiming.......................| 208 108
Harness Power......................| 152 52
Mental Mana Control................| 154 54
Spirit Mana Control................| 154 54
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 150 50
Mental Lore - Telepathy............| 25 5
Mental Lore - Transference.........| 128 34
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 150 50
Perception.........................| 154 54
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 50 10
First Aid..........................| 154 54
Trading............................| 154 54

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 25

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 30

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 52

I prolly should have gone ahead and gotten rid of the MOC rank since I'm not sure how much that's doing for her or when I'll get around to getting more. I'm also not exactly sure why I kept the First Aid training other then it being a cheap skill, I originally had it to reduce the RT for scar herbs...but the new 1116 pretty much makes it wasted TPs where that's concerned (I don't really care whether she gets skinning tasks or not).

She mostly bolts with 111, 1110, and gold wands, but isn't above using 1106, 110, 118, or other spells if they're more advantageous in a given situation. I'm not sure where I'll be tossing TPs once I get Transference up to 50... prolly spells for when she needs to fall back on a CS solution. Any thoughts on adjustments or something I should/shouldn't be training in?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Sword and board to pure 12/05/2017 04:24 AM CST
The rank of MOC is substantially reducing your chance of hitting just one target with a ball spell. There's strong diminishing returns but I'd have two or three ranks of it at level 50 for someone making a lot of use of fire spirit.
Re: Sword and board to pure 12/05/2017 08:26 AM CST
The base range to splash monsters is 0-8.
What I always recommend is to get some of the Spirit Lore to increase that possible range. (And this is cheap, like "one rank == +1 extra" for the first one. With Seed1, a mere 6 ranks is +3 targets, and 10 ranks is +4. That's pretty darn cheap. 15/+5 or 21/+6 are easy goals to aim for, but "ten ranks" of pretty much any skill is a really light investment... and that gets you +50% [adding four (+4) to a base max of eight (8)].)

After that, yes, MOC will help. That single rank you have is already guaranteeing that you hit at least one with a splash, if your first roll is anything at all but a 0.

But generally speaking, you're better off adding to your number of possibles, to increase the likelihood that you will roll pretty well. (Average result of 0-8 is 4; average result of 0-12 is 6...)

https://gswiki.play.net/Bolt_spell#Tactical_Considerations
Re: Sword and board to pure 12/05/2017 03:46 PM CST
>> After that, yes, MOC will help. That single rank you have is already guaranteeing that you hit at least one with a splash, if your first roll is anything at all but a 0.

>> But generally speaking, you're better off adding to your number of possibles, to increase the likelihood that you will roll pretty well. (Average result of 0-8 is 4; average result of 0-12 is 6...)

I thought we determined a few years back during some discussion with a NIR that MOC actually just adds targets after everything else is said and done (and I am familiar with how we thought it worked). No?

Also... maybe a NIR decided that was a bug and corrected it at some point without posting an update that this was changed as well.

Anywho... my current understanding (flawed or otherwise) is that each rank of MOC will add another target to what you rolled (not be capped or limited by your 0-8 roll).

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Sword and board to pure 12/05/2017 03:59 PM CST
What came out of (Estild?)'s conversation was that if you rolled a "2" on your 'possible' roll [including Lore adds], you could have 'lebenty squillion ranks of MOC and you splash... two.

Now, if that got changed, I don't recall seeing it.

GS4-ESTILD
Re: Fire Spirit question  on 11/25/2009 1:49:46 PM 4009

KRAKII
If your "possible" roll is a 1--even if you have +19 targets added because of Lore, so your range is 1-27 targets [rather than the base of 1-8]--then you can have six hundred ranks of MOC, and you're still going to hit one target.

Correct.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

GS4-ESTILD
Re: Fire Spirit question  on 11/30/2009 11:31:46 AM 4023

I don't exactly follow your question, Krakii, but hopefully this precise breakdown will answer it:

1.) Determine the number of Base targets you can hit (random, but weighted roll of 0 - 8). Consider this variable B.
2.) Add Lore bonus for additional targets. Consider this variable L.
3.) Random 0 to (B + L) to determine the actual number of targets to hit. Consider this variable A.
4.) Add in Multi-Opponent Combat bonus to (A). Consider this variable A2.
5.) If (A2 > A) then set A2 to (B+L). <<== forumla corrected in #4044
6.) Splash effect will hit A2 targets.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

KRAKII
Re: Fire Spirit question  on 11/30/2009 11:56:55 AM 4024

Then if I understand your math, Lore is always a fantastic buy (especially about 10 ranks; few enough to be cheap, many enough to get +50% added).
- Die roll will always be 0-8. [your step1]
- Full Lore benefit is always added to die roll. [step2]
- Now roll a second die of <however many sides [step2] says>. [step3]
- Add the lesser of <enough MOC ranks to equal size of the die | all of your MOC ranks>. [step4, step5]

GS4-ESTILD
Re: Fire Spirit question  on 11/30/2009 12:55:34 PM 4025

Correct.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

Yep, it was Estild.
Re: Sword and board to pure 12/05/2017 04:23 PM CST
Different discussion so it may not apply here. The original context was around MOC and splash in general (someplace in the wizard folders) so possibly my assumption that it would equally apply here could be the issue.

I do believe the discussion was somewhat more recent than 2009 (thought maybe not by much).

I'll look and see if I have anything saved around this.

Alternate possibility... I may just be getting older and have mis-remembered the whole discussion. :p

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: Sword and board to pure 12/05/2017 06:45 PM CST
<The rank of MOC is substantially reducing your chance of hitting just one target with a ball spell. There's strong diminishing returns but I'd have two or three ranks of it at level 50 for someone making a lot of use of fire spirit>

This was why I had it... I was completely forgetting about ball spells when I typed that. I tend to make a habit of not hanging out in swarms, so what I've got will be sufficient until I meet my lore goals.

<What I always recommend is to get some of the Spirit Lore to increase that possible range. (And this is cheap, like "one rank == +1 extra" for the first one. With Seed1, a mere 6 ranks is +3 targets, and 10 ranks is +4. That's pretty darn cheap. 15/+5 or 21/+6 are easy goals to aim for, but "ten ranks" of pretty much any skill is a really light investment... and that gets you +50% [adding four (+4) to a base max of eight (8)].)>

I think my 50 ranks in Summoning lore has my max well above what I'll ever encounter outside an invasion. Though I wouldn't have pushed it that far if it didn't also add to the DF and have benefits for other spells.

I'm not even going to bother with the geek talk and poorly expressed proofs in the posts following the ones I quoted... The wiki (barely) explains it better.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Sword and board to pure 12/05/2017 07:14 PM CST
Fire ranks for Wizards works exactly the same way. (And whatever other Lores, like for metal wands. Same same. :)
Re: Sword and board to pure 12/05/2017 07:44 PM CST
An empath training guide on the wiki states you want level+21 ranks in empath spells to maximize CS.

https://gswiki.play.net/Empath_training_suggestions_(guide)

As a new pure empath I've found the CS spells (1101, 1106) more efficient than the bolt spells.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Sword and board to pure 12/05/2017 10:17 PM CST
<As a new pure empath I've found the CS spells (1101, 1106) more efficient than the bolt spells>

You haven't experienced casting 111 into the middle of a swarm of undead and trolls then, Hunting in Karazja Jungle and Miasmal Forest, my empath felt like a goddess. Hunting tomb trolls as I am now, I wouldn't trade my proficiency in Fire Spirit for all the CS in Elanthia, they just heal too fast to kill them without fire unless you can crit kill them...

Empath CS spells have their place, but there's far too much (esp around River's Rest) that's immune to them to rely solely on them. Harm is great for low level living critters but isn't much use at all by level 20, Bone Shatter doesn't work on anything that doesn't have bones (noncorp undead, most golems, elementals, etc), and Wither is a pretty darned expensive way to disarm or leg something if it decides to go after a limb rather then a body part that has a death crit.

Starchitin

Re: Sword and board to pure 12/06/2017 06:25 AM CST
You're right about 111 of course. It is part of my empath's arsenal and go-to against trolls, non-corp undead, and when I have more than one mob in the room. You'd be surprised by how many undead are actually susceptible to bone shatter and wither though. Also if it is taking more than 2 casts of 1106 at 12 mana, sometimes a 1115 will get the job done in one cast.

My issue with a pure empath has been mana.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along an interesting page about empath training in my last post.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Sword and board to pure 12/06/2017 09:03 AM CST
<You'd be surprised by how many undead are actually susceptible to bone shatter and wither though>

But then she couldn't do her Bevis impression: "Fire fire hmmhmm fire!"

Starchitin