Just thinking 10/12/2015 01:51 PM CDT
So both my sorcerer and empath have been around since GS3, both trained in OHE/shield (though only the empath actually kept swinging a sword past level 5 or so), but only the sorcerer has been switched over to a runestaff user. When I switched my sorcerer over to his staff (years after GS4 came around), I realized benefits to his skills that I hadn't expected (but were MUCH needed) and that got me thinking what might be possible if I switched the empath over to a runestaff as well.

The problem is that I'm way more attached to her sword and shield then I was my sorcerers since they're two of the first alters I ever got, so I'd need a pretty good reason to stop using them... and so far I'm not seeing a whole lot I can do with the TPs that would make her more deadly then she already is. She primarily bolts with 111, 1110, and gold wands, though she also makes regular use of 1106 (usually when something's DS is too high to stun reliably with a bolt) and swings her sword at the living once they're stunned to conserve mana/wands. I've experimented with Web bolt, but haven't been impressed with it so far... prolly because most of what she's hunted so far has a weakness to fire (there's not much that's more fun then hunting trolls with Fire Spirit).

If anyone can spot something I'm missing that would make the switch worth it, I'd appreciate it. Here's her training:

(at level 47), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Shield Use.........................| 149 49
Edged Weapons......................| 149 49
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 5 1
Physical Fitness...................| 149 49
Arcane Symbols.....................| 99 23
Magic Item Use.....................| 122 31
Spell Aiming.......................| 198 98
Harness Power......................| 147 47
Mental Mana Control................| 149 49
Spirit Mana Control................| 149 49
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 149 49
Mental Lore - Telepathy............| 25 5
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 120 30
Perception.........................| 149 49
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 50 10
First Aid..........................| 149 49
Trading............................| 149 49

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 25

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 24

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 47

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Just thinking 10/12/2015 05:44 PM CDT
There is absolutely no pressing reason to give up your skill set, having gotten this far. Mind you, there are benefits to using a runestaff but they aren't overwhelming.

Runestaff Pros: You can devote more TPs to spells, making your magic more effective.
Able to block bolts from critters completely.

Cons: Vulnerable to being disarmed.

You will still be open to being disarmed with a weapon and shield, but the shield will give you a better defense if that happens, as well as decent bolt defense.
Also, there is nothing preventing you from carrying a runestaff as a back up; you will have plenty of magical skills for runestaff defense should the need for such arise. Stow weapon and shield, grab the staff, and you're good to go.

If you are actually planning to use the weapon later on, you may need CM training to buff up your weapon AS; that would be hard to squeeze in with your current training regimen. Web bolt would be useful there by dropping foes DS. You may also need to do without spirit barrier.
Re: Just thinking 10/12/2015 08:12 PM CDT
<If you are actually planning to use the weapon later on, you may need CM training to buff up your weapon AS; that would be hard to squeeze in with your current training regimen. Web bolt would be useful there by dropping foes DS. You may also need to do without spirit barrier.>

Yer, I learned long ago that trying to use her sword as a primary means of attack isn't a wise route to go. It's mainly just something I use when a critter is already stunned or otherwise incapacitated to keep the amount of silver I spend on wands in check.

The only times she has 102 up is in invasions, outside of that she never has it up... though that might change once she starts taking on flesh golems in a few levels. CM would be nice... but the only way I'm getting the TPs for that is if I dump OHE/shield training, which would defeat the purpose.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.