Where to go next? 09/28/2014 06:01 AM CDT
So I'm looking at my main Empath's training and trying to decide where to go:

(at level 46), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Shield Use.........................| 148 48
Edged Weapons......................| 148 48
Physical Fitness...................| 148 48
Arcane Symbols.....................| 99 23
Magic Item Use.....................| 122 31
Spell Aiming.......................| 196 96
Harness Power......................| 146 46
Mental Mana Control................| 148 48
Spirit Mana Control................| 148 48
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 148 48
Mental Lore - Telepathy............| 25 5
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 120 30
Perception.........................| 148 48
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 50 10
First Aid..........................| 148 48
Trading............................| 148 48

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 25

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 22

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 47

She hunts primarily with bolt spells and wands, though she will swing her sword once a critter is otherwise disabled so long as she's not too encumbered with loot to save mana. Occasionally she'll use Bone Shatter, but usually only to mix things up a bit (I honestly wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it). She's been an absolute terror in the hunting grounds since her early 30's, so I'm not looking to solve any problems... I'm mostly trying to determine the best place to put my excess TPs to prevent any problems from popping up in the future.

I don't see any point in training in more AS, MIU, or any lores other then Summoning (though, if someone can make a good argument for one of the Mental lores, I wouldn't be against it), so that just adds to the excess TPs.

Things I've considered are:

-working my way up to 2x in PF to help against maneuvers
-getting more (possibly even 2x eventually) Harness Power to decrease my reliance on wands since I'll eventually find myself in hunting grounds that are no-where near as rich as my current ones
-picking up some ranks in CM (though I have no idea what I'd spend the cman points on) or Dodging

I know I could do without FA and Trading, but I'm not hurting for TPs by any stretch, so I don't see any reason to stop training in either of them since they generate more silver for me.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Where to go next? 09/28/2014 07:00 AM CDT
Possible tweaks

A couple ranks MOC (for extra ball splashes)
one rank AS, if you are going to 23 you should get 24 so you can read 1720.

Cunning defense would seem the obvious place for CM points if you went after them.

MnS ranks (even at 3x cost) are better value for defense than dodge ranks, so there's no point in dodge unless you are already 3x in spells or at level in MnS. Dodge is the place to go for DS after you can't train spells any more, but not before.

Spare points put into 3x spells come back fast as you level up, so thats always a good place to put points you haven't decided just what to do with yet. Rounding one control up to a multiple of 10 (or both to a multiple of 20) a few levels early is another good temporary use for spare points.

1x/0x won't be getting you top silver from skins by any means and it will be on a downward trend as you level. You need 2 ranks per level to maintain quality. However, skinning gives best value relative to other loot at lower levels and you are getting close to the point where good skinning targets are hard to come by.
Re: Where to go next? 09/28/2014 07:56 AM CDT
<<A couple ranks MOC (for extra ball splashes)>>

I don't know how this snuck by me....

<MnS ranks (even at 3x cost) are better value for defense than dodge ranks, so there's no point in dodge unless you are already 3x in spells or at level in MnS. Dodge is the place to go for DS after you can't train spells any more, but not before.>

Good point, I generally only think of CS when I think of reasons for over-training in spells and forget about all the spells that increase in effectiveness. Though, it is a bit less useful for me then others to get MnS ranks just for this since I swing my sword fairly regularly and rarely have 102 up because of it (generally only during invasions when it's suicidal to swing my sword).

<1x/0x won't be getting you top silver from skins by any means and it will be on a downward trend as you level. You need 2 ranks per level to maintain quality. However, skinning gives best value relative to other loot at lower levels and you are getting close to the point where good skinning targets are hard to come by.>

Yer, I'm not really trying to be the best, just squeeze some extra silvers out of what I'm hunting and get a few more skins then I otherwise would. If I find myself in need of the TPs for something further down the line I can fixskills it away, but for now it's cheap and I'm not hurting for TPs.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Where to go next? 09/28/2014 12:15 PM CDT
>Though, it is a bit less useful for me then others to get MnS ranks just for this since I swing my sword fairly regularly and rarely have 102 up because of it (generally only during invasions when it's suicidal to swing my sword).

102 is stoppable these days and your sword will get less effective offensively as you level, even if you do start picking up CM.

Without 102 and with shield you are into the region where dodge/MnS are similar value, particularly if you never use CS spells. I'd still want 140 before going for dodge ranks.
Re: Where to go next? 09/28/2014 03:44 PM CDT
The biggest problem I ran into as a blade waver was that the monsters combat abilities get much better as their levels go up and an Empath, being a pure with melee skill training so costly, just can't be a good general melee hunter. I finally gave up on blades and fixskilled to a pure after 50 some trainings. Tanivar now no longer has to hunt 5 7 levels below his, he can now hunt several trainings above his level as a full bore spellslinger.

Tanivar Somakre

"Healing, you want it, you shall have it."
Re: Where to go next? 09/28/2014 06:32 PM CDT
I will second Rorn's comments; well, sort of. You can't use sword and board much longer, without going heavy into combat maneuvers. Drop the OHE/shield and go 2x in harness power if you want to be a pure caster. You will need the extra mana, especially if you hunt critters without bones, since wither will then be your main attack spell. Use of wands will, of course, continue to be useful there as mana extenders.

You all probably know that I went full bore warpath, so I won't tout that again as an option (except for the below comment)

>>an Empath, being a pure with melee skill training so costly, just can't be a good general melee hunter.<<

Lies, all lies I say!

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Where to go next? 09/28/2014 07:17 PM CDT
>You all probably know that I went full bore warpath, so I won't tout that again as an option (except for the below comment)

>>an Empath, being a pure with melee skill training so costly, just can't be a good general melee hunter.<<

>Lies, all lies I say!

>Throgg

The above shows just how hard the monsters beat melee Empaths upside the head... < wisely ducks into a deep hole and pulls it in after himself :) >

Tanivar Somakre

"Healing, you want it, you shall have it."
Don't try this at home, folks! 09/28/2014 07:33 PM CDT
A classic error. I have a spell up script, of course, but for some reason I neglected to include 115 in it. No big deal right? Just cast it manually, right? You can see the typo coming, I suspect. Needless to say, I have now emended my script.

>>prep 102
>cast
[script done]
You gesture while calling upon the lesser spirits to aid you with the Spirit Barrier spell...
Your spell is ready.
K>
You gesture.
The air thickens and begins to swirl around you.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
K>pre 1115
You focus your thoughts while chanting the mystical phrase for Wither...
Your spell is ready.
K>cast
You gesture.
The replenishing effect fades, but you are left with a feeling of wellbeing.
Your mental command surges outward, echoing your need to the stray spirits nearby...
CS: +479 - TD: +412 + CvA: +25 + d100: +93 - +5 == +180
Warding failed!
A nebulous haze shimmers into view around you, plunging inward to envelop your left eye!
... 10 points of damage!
Left eyelid turns to dust, causing you to blink rapidly, or try to.
... 20 points of damage!
Blast removes sections of eye socket.
You are stunned for 5 rounds!
... 45 points of damage!
Precise shot vaporizes left eye and much of brain behind while leaving skull intact.
Your heart hammers suddenly in your chest before failing entirely. Even the influence of Troll's Blood is not enough to change the fact of your death.
The very powerful look leaves you.
The white light leaves you.
Like sand through an hourglass, your visions of the future slip away and fade from your mind.
The powerful look leaves you.
The light blue glow leaves you.
The air calms down around you.
The deep blue glow leaves you.<<

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Where to go next? 09/29/2014 01:19 AM CDT
<<I will second Rorn's comments; well, sort of. You can't use sword and board much longer, without going heavy into combat maneuvers.>>

Yes, she does swing her sword regularly, but it's not her primary method of attack. Her primary attack is bolts, the sword only gets swung when a critter is already prone, stunned, or otherwise severely disabled from the bolts (and it doesn't get swung at all at undead since it cannot be blessed). Why cast another spell or use up another charge of the wand when I can just smack the critter a couple times with my sword to finish it off?

I long ago abandoned the idea of her using the sword as her primary attack... that's why I went the bolt route with her. Having her carry around a stick rather then the sword and shield she has would be like taking away Professor X's wheelchair and making him able to walk though, she wouldn't be the same character.

Besides, I'm not that far off from hunting critters with maneuvers that runestaves cannot help you avoid but shields can.

Starchitin

Re: Don't try this at home, folks! 09/29/2014 07:56 AM CDT
Friends don't let friends not use incant.

Gretchen

Visit the GSGuide wiki, now home to merchant shop inventory lists! http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/GSGuide_Wiki
Meeting Nilandia: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Nilandia
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Where to go next? 09/29/2014 08:18 AM CDT
>>Besides, I'm not that far off from hunting critters with maneuvers that runestaves cannot help you avoid but shields can.<<

Ah; you know, if you realize that you eventually won't be able to use the weapon to attack, you might want to drop OHE for brawling. Singling in brawling won't really let you use the UAC system well, but you will be immune to certain maneuvers and attack forms, such as disarm and weaponfire. Right now I am hunting the Deadfall, and the major threat to me there is the mages using weaponfire. I can't ward that one off, and it's a killer. (Note: weaponfire works a lot better for critters than it does for player characters). Brawling and shield does give you a good DS vs weapon and bolt attacks, and also lets you keep one hand open for channeling purposes. My cleric is constructed this way. And if you really really want to occasionally use a weapon, you can grab a sai or a troll claw.

Re: Where to go next? 09/29/2014 11:19 AM CDT
<<Ah; you know, if you realize that you eventually won't be able to use the weapon to attack, you might want to drop OHE for brawling.>>

Yer, you make some good points. Unfortunately, taking away this characters sword would be much like taking away Wolverine's claws: they'd both still be able to kick major butt, but they just wouldn't be the same character.

Starchitin