Returning Empath - Training Help! 12/11/2013 03:56 PM CST
Hello all,

I've recently returned to the game after some time away, and would like to check up on whether my character is still viably trained or not. She is intended to be a healer who can also hunt via pure casting. I know the racial choice isn't entirely to my benefit, but I'm on Platinum, so it's a role-playing thing. That's also why I have so many spells; self-sufficiency helped a lot, at least when I last played. I do have fixskills, but no fixstats.

Race: Forest Gnome Profession: Empath (shown as: Healer)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 81 (5) ... 81 (5)
Constitution (CON): 74 (22) ... 74 (22)
Dexterity (DEX): 55 (7) ... 55 (7)
Agility (AGI): 64 (17) ... 64 (17)
Discipline (DIS): 66 (13) ... 66 (13)
Aura (AUR): 64 (7) ... 64 (7)
Logic (LOG): 66 (13) ... 66 (13)
Intuition (INT): 46 (-2) ... 46 (-2)
Wisdom (WIS): 94 (27) ... 94 (27)
Influence (INF): 94 (17) ... 94 (17)
Mana: 67

X (at level 13), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Physical Fitness...................| 114 28
Arcane Symbols.....................| 66 14
Magic Item Use.....................| 114 28
Spell Aiming.......................| 114 28
Harness Power......................| 66 14
Spirit Mana Control................| 66 14
Mental Lore - Manipulation.........| 45 9
Perception.........................| 20 4
Climbing...........................| 20 4
First Aid..........................| 114 28

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 9

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 13

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 14
Training Points: 105 Phy 0 Mnt (232 Phy converted to Mnt)

No society membership chosen at this time, but I'd suppose CoL.

Thanks for any advice! I might be fine, but with time away comes changes, so it can't hurt to ask.
Re: Returning Empath - Training Help! 12/11/2013 05:31 PM CST
Looks pretty standard to me, honestly. If you lean more healer then hunter I'd suggest you pick up either transformation lore or blessing over manipulation. Forest gnome isn't a bad choice for an empath actually, you have the best spirit regen, second best maneuver bonus, and +5 WIS bonus which gives you the highest possible CS for an empath and only DEs can tie it. With my highest level empath I went pure caster and overloaded on empath spells because I don't like using wands but to each their own, his stats were also set for growth at level 20(His 30 days ended).
Re: Returning Empath - Training Help! 12/11/2013 07:09 PM CST
Thanks very much for your reply. Truth be told, I haven't had a chance to hunt with the character yet after all this time, but I remember being very reliant upon wands - for mana issues, not CS issues. I'd never be able to keep up with the demand but for the generosity of the Plat community in tipping for healing.

Since you aimed to pure cast without employing wands, is there a change in path you'd want to suggest to me?
Re: Returning Empath - Training Help! 12/11/2013 07:35 PM CST
<<Since you aimed to pure cast without employing wands, is there a change in path you'd want to suggest to me?>>

Pretty much all of my advice for training an empath can be found in an earlier post I made that someone has saved: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Empath_training_suggestions_(saved_post)

The advice still holds true, though there have been some additional mechanics added for mana controls, so it's even more useful to train in them.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Returning Empath - Training Help! 12/12/2013 03:29 AM CST
>>Since you aimed to pure cast without employing wands, is there a change in path you'd want to suggest to me?

I went with a very spartan training plan on my CS empath. He has 2x PF, 1x HP, 1x SMC(was MMC, changed it because it no longer affects boneshatter), 1x perception, 1x climb, 1x FA, 1x split between the two spirit circles, and all the rest into empath spells. He doesn't use MIU or scrolls so I didn't train those skills. He also doesn't use a runestaff, if I was without a wizard he'd be using one though. And if I was to level him up again I'd double harness power until 100 ranks.

During his first 30 days I had his wisdom set to 100 and by level 20 he was hunting things 5 levels above him with ease. Setting it down for growth though he lost 17 CS and he under hunted for a couple levels then hunted zombies like level and a bit under when I didn't get a good bounty.

Society, went with CoL myself too, nice, easy, and basically having double mana was great. It is actually possible to get more mana being in voln but it would be at the cost of deeds.

Channeling in offensive stance with empty hands adds a phantom +40(+20 per empty hand) to any endroll that connects, this helps a lot. I go emptied handed because it is easier then stance dancing and stowing my runestaff.

2x harness power - some say this isn't worth it but every 3 ranks over your level is 1 more cast of boneshatter for those in CoL, also the increased max mana means more mana per pulse. At level 48(when you'd hit 100 ranks and stop training this) those ranks of harness power are costing you 13 spells(6.5 CS) but they are giving you 17 more casts of boneshatter at a minimum.

3x spells - limits other training options, but compared to someone without by the time you cap you are going to have more CS and DS. When training secondary circles try and leave them at multiples of 3 +1;1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, ect. As long as the number of spells in the circle is 2/3 your level or less those are the points you gain CS from them at. Not something I'd worry about until 40+ because you'll want to pick spells up for DS and utility before then.

CS - You can never have too much, the higher this is the harder your spells hit and the less casts you'll need to kill something

Rescuing - Having 225 and 130 at level will hurt your CS if you can hold off until level 40 the loss isn't so bad.

There are some draw backs to this path though. It slightly limits the creatures you can hunt, neither boneshatter nor wither work on elemental creatures or golems. At higher levels you aren't as group friendly because you'll kill more things in one shot. You may also find yourself useless in invasions with high level creatures, there are no force on force affects applied to the TDs of creatures like AS attacks(bolts included).

When I rolled up my CS empath I did so for the expressed purpose of being able to boneshatter things, if I want to bolt I play my wizard.

At the end of the day this game is about fun so find out what you enjoy doing and how to make it work.
Re: Returning Empath - Training Help! 12/12/2013 07:08 PM CST
It's rough without spell aiming. IM me at Lyradie and I can get you all the charged wands you could ever want in Plat. It's far better to ask for wands in Plat than not have a well-rounded empath. You're really going to want spell aiming and you're really going to want 130 and you're most likely going to want your transformation lore for healing. I agree though with training in HP as much as possible early. I dropped down to singling in my 50s.

~Lyradie
>With a startled yelp, a young elven child suddenly tumbles from somewhere above you, landing gracelessly in a pile of refuse!