Polearm warpath 08/31/2013 03:03 PM CDT
So, I just fixskilled from pure caster to polearms for the fun of it. Here's my training plan:

>skill
(at level 52), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 120 30 --> 7x fusion brig with dex/agi enhancives to reduce RT
Combat Maneuvers...................| 70 15 --> not sure if this should also be 1x? If so, what training do I reduce?
Polearm Weapons....................| 154 54
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 25 5
Physical Fitness...................| 154 54 --> should this be 2x? I know it impacts maneuvers
Arcane Symbols.....................| 90 20
Magic Item Use.....................| 90 20
Spell Aiming.......................| 208 108 --> figured this would be good for bolt spells because I'm considering switching to GoS
Harness Power......................| 154 54
Spirit Mana Control................| 120 30
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 120 30
Perception.........................| 154 54
Climbing...........................| 66 14
Swimming...........................| 50 10
First Aid..........................| 208 108

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 25

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 32

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 55

So, what do we think? She's currently in RR using a lance on tomb trolls, tomb troll necromancers, and flesh golems. I'm having fun with it, but I think I may have made some mistakes with the fixskill. Thankfully they are cheap to buy, so what do you guys think?
Re: Polearm warpath 08/31/2013 03:43 PM CDT
I'm no expert in mutant builds; but if you're considering going GoS (which I highly recommend), you'll want to get another 5 ranks of Blessings (up to 35) so that you can get 50 stamina back from 1107. Quit there and start training in Summoning Lore.

Every empath should be doubled in PF regardless of their training path. It's cheap, yet incredibly important. In fact, once my pure empath is at level+21 in spells, my next goal will be to 3x PF.

And yeah, definitely keep the 2x spell aim. 111 + Summoning Lore + troll warcamp = fun for the entire family.
Re: Polearm warpath 08/31/2013 04:31 PM CDT
I preferred THWs; my gal is a big fat ole giantkin, so lances were a bit slow for her. Let me grab her out of semi retirement and see what she looks like currently ...
I have put her through several phases. Initially used OHE/shield, switched to pure caster, then went back to weapons when the casting route proved too easy. Some folks may disagree with my lack of some lores but it seems to have worked out.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Polearm warpath 08/31/2013 04:47 PM CDT
Ah, here we go. She's not that far post cap; most of her skill training was done prior to level 100. I tried to keep her 2x in PF at least, then started tripling around level 90. Initially I gave her some MOC training to help with ball spells; when she went back to weapons I decided she needed more. I pumped her MOC up to the point where she can use a focused M-strike, which is always fun and causes her warrior friends to blink a bit.

Interestingly enough, her weapon AS is high enough, when using a white crystal, that she can even hunt with spell 102 in effect. That's with a 7x weapon, of course. I also tried to keep her from converting any TPs.

Name: Guennhafyr Zauberwalde Race: Giantman Profession: Empath (shown as: Mender)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (40) ... 102 (41)
Constitution (CON): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (20) ... 103 (21)
Agility (AGI): 100 (20) ... 103 (21)
Discipline (DIS): 84 (17) ... 84 (17)
Aura (AUR): 98 (19) ... 98 (19)
Logic (LOG): 82 (11) ... 85 (12)
Intuition (INT): 77 (13) ... 77 (13)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (25) ... 105 (27)
Influence (INF): 100 (30) ... 105 (32)
Mana: 315 Silver: 205
>skill
Guennhafyr (at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 90 20
Combat Maneuvers...................| 201 101
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 204 104
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 120 30
Physical Fitness...................| 332 232
Arcane Symbols.....................| 120 30
Magic Item Use.....................| 151 51
Harness Power......................| 200 100
Mental Mana Control................| 145 45
Spirit Mana Control................| 120 30
Mental Lore - Manipulation.........| 160 60
Perception.........................| 140 40
Climbing...........................| 150 50
Swimming...........................| 170 70
First Aid..........................| 300 200

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 55

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 55

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 102
Training Points: 1 Phy 14 Mnt
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

The bells of Hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling for you but not for me
Re: Polearm warpath 08/31/2013 05:12 PM CDT

Guen, thanks. That's helpful. Any reason you stopped at 55 ranks of MnS and MjS?
Re: Polearm warpath 08/31/2013 09:05 PM CDT
>> Any reason you stopped at 55 ranks of MnS and MjS?<<

Well, sort of. I was at 54 ranks in each, then realized that 55 ranks in each would raise my empath CS by 2. After that I am going to concentrate on raising empath CS even more. We are spell casters after all. Using spells to disable a foe before beating it senseless is a perfectly valid tactic, and usually the best way to go.

Having run out of things to train in that raise my ability in weapons (maxxed out in CMan and weapons), any PTPs gained will be directed towards getting more PF. If you train more than 2x in spells you cannot get redux, but empaths can come close. There is not much else to spend my PTPs on at this point. OK, I could go for 60 ranks of MOC and pick up a triple focused MStrike, but that seems a bit over the top, even for me, not to mention taking forever to achieve.

Also, Guenn totally didn't train in transformation lore. All those ranks of FA not only help her skin well, but also cuts down on the RT from using herbs. Guenn always has a full selection of herbs for healing. Even in a location where sanctuaries are dispelled almost immediately (like OTF), she can usually cast one and then use a macro to grab and use the appropriate herb before it is dispelled. At uttermost need, she can pop off a regen spell.

Hint: you can cast regen with insufficient mana; it blows your nerves, but guess what? The spell promptly heals this injury, along with all others, once in effect! Wheee!

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Polearm warpath 08/31/2013 10:17 PM CDT
>>So, I just fixskilled from pure caster to polearms for the fun of it. Here's my training plan:

My training at 47 with two-handed weapons is pretty similar to yours. The main difference is that the only lore I've got is 20 ranks of Spiritual Lore - Summoning. Because Web bolt is just generally amazing.
Re: Polearm warpath 08/31/2013 11:16 PM CDT
Just wanted to add this bit as an addendum, illustrating one last cute trick you can do. At one time, spell 102 could NOT be dropped voluntarily once cast, specifically to stop the following tactic. The last spell review changed that. So now, one can use macros to drop 102 just before attacking, then recast it once you are out of RT. Right now I usually don't bother; I just leave it up all the time. 410 AS will hit most anything, especially after I feint it into offensive stance or web it. But it is a possibility if I want it. You will lose significant DS, so this tactic is best used vs a single opponent. (In the example cited below, I would lose 46 DS, the same amount I gained in my AS).

>>
You feel more refreshed.
>stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
>at
You swing a superior mithril flail at a hill troll!
AS: +410 vs DS: +217 with AvD: +44 + d100 roll: +91 = +328
... and hit for 110 points of damage!
Weapon arm mangled horribly.
The hill troll is stunned!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>stop 102
With a moment's concentration, you terminate the Spirit Barrier spell.
The air calms down around you.
>at
You swing a superior mithril flail at a hill troll!
AS: +456 vs DS: +191 with AvD: +44 + d100 roll: +54 = +363
... and hit for 134 points of damage!
Left arm ripped from socket at the elbow!
The hill troll falls to the ground and dies.
The deep blue glow leaves a hill troll.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
R>
You feel at full magical power again.
>incant 102
You gesture while calling upon the lesser spirits to aid you with the Spirit Barrier spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
The air thickens and begins to swirl around you.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.<<

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me