Prev_page Previous 1
Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 08:11 AM CDT

Anything ever come of providing a NPC source for the three massie DS spells which are so necessary for those of us limited to 1x training in weapons? I play a Healer and hunting my level with enough AS to get a hit every couple of minutes after leaving a monster only a +20 to 40 to it's attack roll can be a problem without the 40 DS points from the three massie spells.

<rolls eyes> <chuckles> Yes, yes, I know I could hunt anything my level with astonishing ease if I was competent, capable of figuring out which end of the sword to hold, so on and so forth, but seriously, even with getting the tar hacked out of me while hunting not being much of a problem, surviving while trying to do in a same level monster, particularly an adventurer's guild quest is a royal pita if even survivalable after leaving enough AS to occasionally hit my opponet.

What I currently have skill-wise after dropping THW to regain the DS of a shield is:

Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Edged Weapons......................| 145 45
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 50 10
Physical Fitness...................| 145 45
Arcane Symbols.....................| 143 43
Magic Item Use.....................| 140 40
Spell Aiming.......................| 186 86
Harness Power......................| 143 43
Spirit Mana Control................| 105 25
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 70 15
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 90 20
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 160 60
Survival...........................| 143 43
Perception.........................| 143 43
Climbing...........................| 50 10
Swimming...........................| 25 5
First Aid..........................| 143 43

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 20

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 25

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 43

Current weapons are my THW bastard swords used one handed. I carry thanot wands for blowing legs of monsters.
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 08:31 AM CDT
>>What I currently have skill-wise after dropping THW to regain the DS of a shield is:

I'm seeing Edged Weapons training, but no Shield Use? Single training in Shield Use would more than make up for the DS you gain not having Guards/Colors/Blur -- which I can't imagine will ever be offered by NPC. You could train in Armor Use as well -- my empath is in brigandine, and it helps a lot. And you have zero Combat Maneuvers -- that might not add to your DS directly anymore (I lost track of some of these changes), but it will help your offense. You have plenty of training points that you're currently spending on luxuries for a swinging empath.

Or, if you want to play with what you've already got, put those Magic Item and Arcane Symbol skills to use, go out, and find some items and scrolls for defense.

The problem isn't that there is a general lack of defense. The problem is that you're trying to scrape by as a swinging pure on the merits of 1x OHE and no other training. Most builds are viable, but you're going to need to recognize that you're making it difficult for yourself.
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 08:39 AM CDT
"Combat Maneuvers -- that might not add to your DS directly anymore (I lost track of some of these changes)" -- Pricklies

For years I have wished I could go back in time and strangle that stupid S.O.B. who wrote that mis-leading guide that I swear to god EVERY SINGLE PERSON who ever joined through AoL read.

CM never "added directly to DS". It did add to AS, which you could then parry away by changing your stance up towards Defensive.

The number of twits spouting that in-game (frequently when they were themselves "teaching" some even-newbier) that I wanted to throttle was just astronomical.

<mutter, grumble, swear, kick puppy>
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 08:53 AM CDT
>For years I have wished I could go back in time and strangle that stupid S.O.B. who wrote that mis-leading guide that I swear to god EVERY SINGLE PERSON who ever joined through AoL read.

Aww, now I feel bad. Sorry to have caused a blood pressure spike. I'm floored that the Statistical Sorcerer's Guide lead me astray...

But now CM does not even indirectly help DS via parry?

P.S. UNLIMITED AOL 1996 4 LIFE!!!1
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 10:02 AM CDT

>I play a Healer

you play a pure profession in a mutant build. you will have issues with some things.
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 11:01 AM CDT
In Ta'Illistim there is a NPC merchant which is around during certain times which sells common defensive spells in item form. Unlimited supply. Might be worth waiting until he appears and buying up everything useful.

!>tell child to be quiet
The child cries, "I don't wanna!"
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 11:11 AM CDT

"you play a pure profession in a mutant build. you will have issues with some things."

I'm playing what used to be called a Warpath, why do you refer to it as a mutant build? I've taken some lore to improve my ability to heal in TS but otherwise my character is a field medic Healer type circa G2, and G3.

What changes would you recommend for someone who commonly sits TS healing but enjoys going out and hunting where Bad Things play on occasion?
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 11:46 AM CDT
>>What changes would you recommend for someone who commonly sits TS healing but enjoys going out and hunting where Bad Things play on occasion?

The Empath folder is going to be the best place to get training advice, but you're going to be able to substantially improve your hunting (without hindering healing) just based on some changes in your training.
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 01:37 PM CDT

>I'm playing what used to be called a Warpath, why do you refer to it as a mutant build?

because empaths are pures meant to use magic for hunting. the empath circle was updated with very potent hunting spells. While warpaths are very viable, they will have some issues, as they were meant to use their training points on spells and magical skills (the training point costs reflect that), not swinging weapons. You should expect to be deficient in some areas when you spend your points on swinging a weapon. This is not GS3, you need to stop thinking in those terms.
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 02:52 PM CDT
<<<Anything ever come of providing a NPC source for the three massie DS spells which are so necessary for those of us limited to 1x training in weapons? I play a Healer and hunting my level with enough AS to get a hit every couple of minutes after leaving a monster only a +20 to 40 to it's attack roll can be a problem without the 40 DS points from the three massie spells.>>>

Natural Colors (601), Thurfel's Ward (503), and Elemental Defense I & II (401 and 406) (to name a few) are all commonly available on scrolls, which can easily be charged up to capacity by a sorcerer. 414 is less common, but awesome if you can find one. (Tip: if you find a scroll with any of those spells, DON'T use it until you get it charged up).

Any of the guards (401, 406 and 414) can be imbedded by wizards, sorcerers, bards, and even some older rogues. A ranger-made rod can hold at least 5 charges of 414, which should last a good long while with your magic item use. And if you ration your supplies and just use them when they can't find an actual PC to cast them, you should never have a problem getting what you need. It does take a little preparation, however.

No NPC required.

~ Heathyr and friends

PS: Feel free to contact me if you need any of the above! :)
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 03:43 PM CDT
>>because empaths are pures meant to use magic for hunting. the empath circle was updated with very potent hunting spells. While warpaths are very viable, they will have some issues, as they were meant to use their training points on spells and magical skills (the training point costs reflect that), not swinging weapons. You should expect to be deficient in some areas when you spend your points on swinging a weapon. This is not GS3, you need to stop thinking in those terms.

It's not really a matter of 'GS3 terms'... for most of GS3 we had the 800s and nothing at all to help empaths swing. That was a considerably worse time to be an empath with a weapon. Skip to today, and we've got the 1100s without losing the 200s (as originally intended). This is a much better time to be a fighting empath, and if I'm not mistaken empaths can actually achieve the highest AS among pures.

So you can say that pures with weapons are mutants simply because they aren't training for runestaves, period. And okay, they aren't the archetypical build... so there's some truth to that. But it's also true that dev over the years has supported both, so it's not exactly bizarre. (Not like a sorcerer with a weapon. That's just sad.)

But that's not the issue at hand -- the original poster needs a little more guidance about how to construct an empath that successfully hunts with a weapon. Because it's certainly not the case that empaths are so bad at hunting with a weapon that they require mass spells to survive.
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 04:12 PM CDT
I went and read in the Empath forum as was suggested and I've used a fixskills potion to change to a casting empath with no weapon skills. Luckily the new UAC is enough without Brawling to let me mix it in with the spells while hunting lower level undead for Voln favor. I was surprised at the Sympathy spell though. The monsters take a whole one swing at each other and the spell ends. <rolls eyes> :)

Multi Opponent Combat..............| 50 10
Arcane Symbols.....................| 145 45
Magic Item Use.....................| 145 45
Spell Aiming.......................| 190 90
Mental Mana Control................| 90 20
Spirit Mana Control................| 140 40
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 70 15
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 140 40
Mental Lore - Manipulation.........| 90 20
Mental Lore - Telepathy............| 102 24
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 70 15
Survival...........................| 145 45
Perception.........................| 145 45
First Aid..........................| 145 45

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 19

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 20

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 43
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 04:31 PM CDT
This should really be in the empath folder, but some suggestions:

The MOC points could be far better spent elsewhere. I only have 1 rank to ensure ball spell splash and didn't get that until 80. It also wasn't until 80 that I found anywhere that swarmed enough to even consider the FoF protection benefit. It's far too expensive for a caster and you really need CS more than anything MOC has to offer.

PF is so very cheap it's a shame not to double train, and it's especially handy against some maneuver attacks and overall for SunFist. The same for FA. Skinning can be very profitable, both straight silver-wise and bounty point-wise.

SMC over 25 is much more useful in MMC. You get more bank for the TP.

I have zero manipulation lore. It's fairly useless. You can look at the Empath folder to see discussions about it.

Survival costs more than First Aid and is basically for the same thing, unless you're a full-time Icemulean and plan to stay that way. You can free up points there.

A pure caster should pump every leftover TP into the Empath spell base until 21 over level. CS is your hunting lifeblood. Perception over 24 or 30 (depending on preference) isn't as useful as your CS.

~Lyradie
>With a startled yelp, a young elven child suddenly tumbles from somewhere above you, landing gracelessly in a pile of refuse!
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/21/2013 07:46 PM CDT
Even as a caster empath, you should really at least 2x in physical fitness. The benefits are great.

As for the previous comments you made, of all the pures, the empath is by far the best at being a weapon swinger (some debate this when compared to a haste warmage, but overall AS and DS are better for an empath). Honestly, if you were lacking in DS, you were doing something wrong. Not sure what, but something was just not right.

If you do go back to being a weapon swinger, you should probably get more ranks in cbt manuevers, and possibly get some cmovement ranks(more DS), as well as cunning defense(better defense against manuevers)

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/22/2013 08:48 AM CDT

This pure caster bit beats the tar out of melee, I'm missing on an attack every couple of minutes instead of hitting on an attack every couple of minutes. :)

I'm going to keeping adding to Manipulation to boost the damage Harm does, that's going to be a bread & butter spell for me until I get my mana pool a fair bit larger. Only 19 or 20 casts to kill a Storm giant and I'm getting about the same damage per hit OHE was doing, so I can commonly kill them without having to expend mana to disperse their clouds. Having the weapon skill points in lores to help the spells has certainly made a serious difference in the effectiveness of the attack spells.

Life as a pure spellslinger looks promising :)
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/22/2013 09:11 AM CDT

Velfi is a prime example of an emapth wielding a weapon successfully. I would seek him out for advice.
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/22/2013 09:50 AM CDT

>Only 19 or 20 casts to kill a Storm giant and I'm getting about the same damage per hit OHE was doing, so I can commonly kill them without having to expend mana to disperse their clouds.

you should be killing them in 1 or 2 casts with 1106
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/22/2013 02:12 PM CDT
You can probably even be channeling 1106 in guarded stance and doing significant damage to storm giants. Less mana, quicker kill, more satisfaction all around.
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/22/2013 03:49 PM CDT

[Upper Trollfang, Sentoph]
Wind whips through your hair, raising chilblains on your face, and anywhere else that's exposed to the air. Frost is forming in the shadows of the rocks, leaving the footing icy and treacherous. You also see a storm giant.
Obvious paths: northeast, northwest
>stance offensive
You are now in an offensive stance.
>
You feel at full magical power again.
>
A storm giant swings a morning star at you!
AS: +247 vs DS: +217 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +45 = +107
... and hits for 2 points of damage!
Blow nicks your right hand.
>
You feel more refreshed.
>
You focus your thoughts while chanting the mystical phrase for Bone Shatter...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a storm giant.
You concentrate intently on a storm giant, and a pulse of pearlescent energy ripples toward it!
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +20 + d100: +36 == +112
Warding failed!
The storm giant shudders with mild convulsions as pearlescent ripples envelop its body.
The storm giant is battered for 31 points of damage!
... 20 points of damage!
Light strike to abdomen.
... 10 points of damage!
Brushing blow to temple.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>
Your spell is ready.
You concentrate intently on a storm giant, and a pulse of pearlescent energy ripples toward it!
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +20 + d100: +32 == +108
Warding failed!
The storm giant shudders with mild convulsions as pearlescent ripples envelop its body.
The storm giant is hit for 29 points of damage!
... 20 points of damage!
Light blow to left arm.
... 10 points of damage!
Blow grazes neck lightly.
R>
You begin to feel a little better.
R>
AS: +237 vs DS: +217 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +30 = +82
A clean miss.
R>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +20 + d100: +42 == +118
Warding failed!
The storm giant shudders with moderate convulsions as pearlescent ripples envelop its body.
The storm giant is battered for 34 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Nice blow to left leg!
The storm giant is stunned!
... 20 points of damage!
Light blow to back.
R>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +20 + d100: +4 == +80
Warded off!
R>
AS: +237 vs DS: +217 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +88 = +140
... and hits for 18 points of damage!
Stomach shot lands with a hollow thump.
R>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +20 + d100: +74 == +150
Warding failed!
The storm giant shudders with sporadic convulsions as pearlescent ripples envelop its body.
The storm giant is smashed for 50 points of damage!
... 30 points of damage!
Good blow to left arm!
... 20 points of damage!
Light strike to chest.
R>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +20 + d100: +67 == +143
Warding failed!
The storm giant shudders with moderate convulsions as pearlescent ripples envelop its body.
The storm giant is smashed for 46 points of damage!
... 15 points of damage!
Blow grazes left leg.
... 15 points of damage!
Brushing blow to temple.
R>
You begin to feel a little better.
>
A storm giant throws its head back and roars in anger, shaking off the stun!
>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +20 + d100: +34 == +110
Warding failed!
The storm giant is hit for 30 points of damage!
The storm giant crumples to the ground motionless.
The powerful look leaves a storm giant.
The light blue glow leaves a storm giant.
R>stance defensive
You are now in a defensive stance.
>skin
You skinned the storm giant, yielding a giant skin.
>search
You search the storm giant.
It had a reinforced shield, a morning star.
It had 117 silvers on it.
You gather the remaining 117 coins.
It had nothing else of value.
A storm giant vanishes in a dark swirling cloud rising up into the air.
>

Seven casts at offensive stance using the spellslinger skill numbers posted earlier. What changes will bring it down to just two Boneshatter casts to make the kill?
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/22/2013 03:56 PM CDT

from the website:

1106 ยท Bone Shatter [BONESHATTER]
Duration: Immediate

Type: Attack

Study of anatomy reveals the importance of bone structure. By utilizing this knowledge and the perceived state of need from such a mechanism for a number of living beings, Empaths manipulate the bones in their target causing them to instantly, and painfully, shatter. The power of the attack is enhanced upon a successful cast on a target with ranks of Mental Mana Control. Training in Mental Lore, Manipulation provides for a chance to completely abolish the target's bone structure, resulting in instant death.

Bone Shatter will only work on targets that have bones. Less experienced targets have a more difficult time resisting this spell.
Increased damage is possible when CHANNELing the spell from a higher stance and having an open hand.
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/22/2013 04:24 PM CDT

So apparently the Stormfront spell buttons are not automatically set up for the best casting technique for players. I did the SET CHANNELINCANT ON command and took out two Storm Giants in nine successful casts, call it four casts each. What will trim off the extra two or three casts each I'm still having to do?

[Upper Trollfang, Sentoph]
Wind whips through your hair, raising chilblains on your face, and anywhere else that's exposed to the air. Frost is forming in the shadows of the rocks, leaving the footing icy and treacherous. You also see a storm giant and a storm giant.
Obvious paths: northeast, northwest
>
A storm giant raises its fists to the sky.
>
>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +25 + d100: +28 == +109
Warding failed!
The storm giant is hit for 29 points of damage!
... 15 points of damage!
Blow grazes left arm lightly.
... 10 points of damage!
Stubs left hand finger.
R>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +25 + d100: +65 == +146
Warding failed!
The storm giant shudders with sporadic convulsions as pearlescent ripples envelop its body.
The storm giant is smashed for 48 points of damage!
... 30 points of damage!
Good blow to back!
... 25 points of damage!
Nice blow to left hand!
R>
>
A storm giant claps its hands together in front of you!
A gust of wind tugs at your sleeves. Suddenly, a fierce wind rips through the area, scattering everything in its path and making it difficult to remain standing.
The wind then subsides.
>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +25 + d100: +13 == +94
Warded off!
R>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +25 + d100: +11 == +92
Warded off!
R>
* Ullskad just bit the dust!
R>
A storm giant hurls a stream of water at you!
AS: +175 vs DS: +256 with AvD: +27 + d100 roll: +77 = +23
A clean miss.
>
>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +25 + d100: +53 == +134
Warding failed!
The storm giant is smashed for 42 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Nice blow to left leg!
... 20 points of damage!
Light blow to left leg.
R>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +25 + d100: +99 == +180
Warding failed!
The storm giant is crushed for 50 points of damage!
... 25 points of damage!
Nice blow to back!
R>
A storm giant hurls a powerful lightning bolt at you!
AS: +195 vs DS: +256 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +30 = +6
A clean miss.
>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +25 + d100: +75 == +156
Warding failed!
... 20 points of damage!
Light blow to back.
... 25 points of damage!
Nice blow to left leg!
R>
>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +25 + d100: +85 == +166
Warding failed!
... 20 points of damage!
Light blow to back.
... 20 points of damage!
Light blow to right leg.
R>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +25 + d100: +94 == +175
Warding failed!
... 30 points of damage!
Good blow to left arm!
... 30 points of damage!
Good blow to left leg!
R>
>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +25 + d100: +22 == +103
Warding failed!
The storm giant is hit for 26 points of damage!
... 10 points of damage!
Blow grazes left leg.
... 15 points of damage!
Blow grazes left leg.
R>
You feel more refreshed.
R>
Your spell is ready.
CS: +211 - TD: +155 + CvA: +25 + d100: +80 == +161
Warding failed!
... 30 points of damage!
Good blow to chest!
R>search
It had a spear.
It carried a rotting fel trunk on it!
>search
It had a spear.
It didn't carry any silver.
It had nothing of interest.
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/22/2013 04:39 PM CDT

The last of the Krakiipedia article says channeling doesn't work in Stormfront. I tried CHANNEL 1106, 111, & 110 via a macro key, no joy, the game response is:

The kobold blushes furiously!
>channel 110
You can only channel certain spells for extra power.
>
A kobold heads west.

The RNG must have just been feeling frisky that second trip out and rolled some good numbers.

I hear my bastard swords snickering... <chuckle>
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/22/2013 06:05 PM CDT

Wizard & the web client give the same response. What command are you entering to make channel work, and in which client?
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/22/2013 06:09 PM CDT

You PREP the spell, then CHANNEL it at your target.
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/23/2013 01:48 AM CDT
What will help you kill things faster is boosting your CS via empath spell training. Completely get rid of manipulation if you have to migrate out of it. Pump that into obtaining more empath spells (up to 21 over level) and you will see a big difference in kill rate.

~Lyradie
>With a startled yelp, a young elven child suddenly tumbles from somewhere above you, landing gracelessly in a pile of refuse!
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/23/2013 04:03 AM CDT

Weighed the pros & cons of the tradeoffs and I've got it headed for 62 Empath ranks. A total of like 4,968 hours in game migration time. I suspect if I'm still happy with the changes in a few days or a week, I'll buy the additional 1000 simucoins and get a third Fixskills potion and speed it up. Only adds like 11 CS but what the heck, I'm game to try it and at worst, I don't need to train empath ranks for a year or two.

This pure spellslinger style is certainly the way to go as a Healer. :)
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/24/2013 01:12 AM CDT

I also think it's important to point out, that even if you have lower defense, you can bloody heal all the damage. I'm very jealous of warpaths tbh. (Or offensive empaths in general.)
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/24/2013 05:21 AM CDT
"I also think it's important to point out, that even if you have lower defense, you can bloody heal all the damage. I'm very jealous of warpaths tbh. (Or offensive empaths in general.)"

That's been the second best reason I've played Healers the last twenty-five years. Fighting with swords you can stance to allow your opponent to have +30 or 40 to it's attack rolls and not really have any problem, with Troll's Blood running it's even less of a bother. :)

I've dug out my Adventurer's Guild badge and I'm going to try the quests now that I'm a spellslinger. I've got over 10 ranks per level for the runestaff so my DS is better. I'm finding this hunting with spells scene much more fun than waving a sword around to keep my opponents cool. <g>

After having a beer or two with the Sandman I gave some more thought to the spell ranks for more CS and shifted 16 spell ranks to the spiritual spells leaving the last three in empath spells. The spirit spells only give 0.333 per rank instead of 0.75 to the empath spells, but the 10 extra minor spirit spell ranks should help Fire Spirit and Unbalance hit harder. My Voln Master typically hunts undead and the UAC without Brawling and Cman isn't good for much more than Zombies. Fire Spirit is nice when a few zombies decide to make you the main course.

I've got the spell RT back down and now have Transference and Spirit Guide to do rescue runs once I figure out what areas Spirit Guide works in. $110 in Simucoins spent, but this last set of changes is proving to be a pretty happy medium between working TS as a Healer and going hunting out where Bad Things play. I think this latest template is going to work out nicely. :)
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/24/2013 11:53 AM CDT
"the 10 extra minor spirit spell ranks should help Fire Spirit and Unbalance hit harder." -- Rorn

No and Yes, respectively.

UnBalance, the second one/"Yes" response, is in fact a warding-based spell, so knowing more Minor Spirit ranks will help that hit harder.

Fire Spirit, the first one/"No" response, is an Aimed Spell and requires ranks of the Spell Aiming skill. (As an Empath you can double-train in this skill, whereas with weapons you can only single-train.) Note also that ranks of Lore and Multi-Opponent Combat can make this spell more 'splashy' for you, inasmuch as you could hit additional targets after the first.
See: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_spell#Ball_Spells
and: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_spell#Behind_the_Scenes:_tactical_considerations
too: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Ball_spells_(saved_post)
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/24/2013 01:36 PM CDT

"Fire Spirit, the first one/"No" response, is an Aimed Spell and requires ranks of the Spell Aiming skill. (As an Empath you can double-train in this skill, whereas with weapons you can only single-train.) Note also that ranks of Lore and Multi-Opponent Combat can make this spell more 'splashy' for you, inasmuch as you could hit additional targets after the first."

I kept 20 Summoning to have Web Bolt, the 10 MOC I had is gone though. Spell costs get a bit pricy after 2x. I'll likely add the 10 MOC back in the future since I'm now finding once again that when a 3rd or 4th opponent wanders into a room I do take harder hits than I had been.

Arcane Symbols.....................| 145 45
Magic Item Use.....................| 145 45
Spell Aiming.......................| 190 90
Spirit Mana Control................| 105 25
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 50 10
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 90 20
Mental Lore - Telepathy............| 90 20
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 142 42
Survival...........................| 145 45
Perception.........................| 145 45
First Aid..........................| 145 45

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 25

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 30

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 46
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/24/2013 05:11 PM CDT
I shifted my empath several times back and forth between pure caster ans weapon user. Pure caster is more effieicnt for hunting, but weapon using is more fun. Finally went with THW.

>>Name: Guennhafyr Zauberwalde Race: Giantman Profession: Empath (shown as: Adventurer)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (40) ... 102 (41)
Constitution (CON): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (20) ... 103 (21)
Agility (AGI): 100 (20) ... 103 (21)
Discipline (DIS): 84 (17) ... 84 (17)
Aura (AUR): 98 (19) ... 98 (19)
Logic (LOG): 82 (11) ... 85 (12)
Intuition (INT): 77 (13) ... 77 (13)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (25) ... 105 (27)
Influence (INF): 100 (30) ... 105 (32)
Mana: 315 Silver: 1617
> skill
Guennhafyr (at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 90 20
Combat Maneuvers...................| 201 101
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 204 104
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 120 30
Physical Fitness...................| 331 231
Arcane Symbols.....................| 120 30
Magic Item Use.....................| 161 61
Harness Power......................| 200 100
Mental Mana Control................| 145 45
Spirit Mana Control................| 120 30
Mental Lore - Manipulation.........| 160 60
Perception.........................| 140 40
Climbing...........................| 150 50
Swimming...........................| 170 70
First Aid..........................| 300 200

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 55

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 56

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 100
Training Points: 3 Phy 20 Mnt<<

The bells of Hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling for you but not for me
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/24/2013 05:23 PM CDT
Oh, please note that I never needed outside spells for hunting, except for statues and white crystals. By the end, my weapon AS was so humongous, I was hunting with spell 102 in effect; that's +50 DS, -50 AS, but I still could hit the target.

30 ranks of MOC is costly for an empath, but it's fun to hunt with friends and watch them gawk as I use focused MStrike on a critter ;P

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/25/2013 01:15 AM CDT

"Oh, please note that I never needed outside spells for hunting, except for statues and white crystals."

I was apparently routinely doing something very wrong while melee hunting because I did need the massie spells to even hunt sffectively vs a monster a few levels below my character. Hunting my level had my character being hacked to death with little damage done to the attacker. The monster's AS over rode my DS and the AS I had left after setting up for the monster to have a +20 to 40 to it's attack roll left me with something like a +50 to 70 to the attack roll which meant I normally did little damage if I even got a hit. I'd occasionally get irritated enough years back to go back through the recorded combat history and document and graph the attack rolls my character got, which got me thinking of the attack die as the 'open d40'. <rolls eyes> Yes, I was told I was daft and all that, didn't seem to change the next graph I'd do out of irritation though.

I played Gemstone from '88 to fall of 2000 exclusively, and then having had the Great Wait for massies up to here, I started playing another game where hunting didn't require a days few hours of available playtime be spent sitting in TS hoping someone would cast them, many days that hope being fruitless. I dropped Gemstone completely eventually because the other game didn't require one to sit and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait. I drifted back off & on of course, Gemstone RP gets in your blood, but didn't really come back with the intent to stay until last year when I un-retired the character I'm playing now and tried using the Fixskills I had when I returned, and the next one, to try and adjust my characters skills, the results not being good. All in all, not happy with the four characters I had, I closed my account until this years Fixskills was availacle and tried again, better, but still not great. I might have closed down my account again until next years Fixskills arrived, but then I heard of the Simucoin Store and that it had Fixskills available for purchase, three additional fixskills later I'm finally feeling like a happy camper. I need to learn how to hunt with only spells and a bit to limited mana pool, but it's showing real promise. The only real problem is macroing and scripting all I can so that I have to type as little as possible so I annoy my arthritis as little as possible. My typing skills are typically using 2 and four fingers these days. I'm now the quiet type in game.

Given which forum this is, I'll also toss in this. The locksmith NPC is way over-priced. He's charged more total than a set of chests has had in silver and the items have sold for. There is little point to bringing chests to him, your loot value goes to him, not you. For those people who play off hours and hate spending more time not having fun hunting by having to track down a Rogue who isn't out having fun hunting, are likely unhappy campers. Eliminating or at least reducing the downtime forced by the game from this, might help keep people who try out this game around. Aspects like that NPC lockpicker have to be a turn off.
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/25/2013 01:21 AM CDT

And btw, here's his stat numbers.

Strength (STR): 96 (23) ... 96 (23)
Constitution (CON): 61 (5) ... 61 (5)
Dexterity (DEX): 58 (9) ... 58 (9)
Agility (AGI): 98 (34) ... 98 (34)
Discipline (DIS): 84 (12) ... 84 (12)
Aura (AUR): 83 (16) ... 83 (16)
Logic (LOG): 69 (9) ... 69 (9)
Intuition (INT): 64 (7) ... 64 (7)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Influence (INF): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/25/2013 02:12 AM CDT
I'm just going to leave this here for now: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Empath_training_suggestions_(saved_post) Loads of information for a caster empath, including training suggestions, stat advice and spell tactics.

If you have any questions on playing a caster, feel free to drop me a line anytime. I've played a caster straight from level 0 to cap, so I can give a bit of perspective on the matter. It takes some getting used to if you haven't played a pure caster, not to mention a leap of faith to put away your weapon and/or shield, but it's a lot of fun.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/25/2013 01:35 PM CDT
Now I know more about an empath than I ever hoped to know, without actually having to visit the empath boards.

Can you guys do paladins next?

~
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/25/2013 05:14 PM CDT
>Can you guys do paladins next?
SCRAPPERK

Paladins are boring. You don't want to be one!

-farmer
>He's right on all counts. ~Vanah
>Farmer is 100% correct. -REIDYN
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users (skinning tangent) 06/25/2013 05:42 PM CDT

Empaths or rangers for skinning...

GO! :)
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/25/2013 05:58 PM CDT
>>The locksmith NPC is way over-priced.<<

Absolutely true; I toss boxes away rtaher than go there and get ticked off.

>>I was apparently routinely doing something very wrong while melee hunting because I did need the massie spells to even hunt sffectively vs a monster a few levels below my character. Hunting my level had my character being hacked to death with little damage done to the attacker<<

Again, I don't think I ever needed to use outside spells to hunt with any profession character; the possible exception would be my warriors who were vulnerable to CS based spells. Ocasionally I'd suck up some blues for them. Key for any spell caster type using weapons is to disable the enemy first. Bind, web, sympathy all useful for clerics/empaths (true, sympathy doesn't last long, but it lets you get off a weapon attack while the critters whack each other). For my wizard/sorcerer, e-wave or major e-wave were useful, as was 415.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Lack of DS for single training weapon users 06/26/2013 08:48 AM CDT

Yeah, I tried a low level warpath and it was tough without using setup disablers. Empath's just can't generate the DS compared to other mutant builds until later on. So yeah if you just try to stance dance without using disablers you'll get rocked (as my little guy did). Unfortunately it takes awhile to get to the point to where you have access to the disablers and the mana to use them effectively. Warmages at least get access to alot of early ds, I found them much easier to level up early on even before I had enough levels/mana to use haste/ewave/tremors constantly.
Prev_page Previous 1