Combat Manuevers for the High Level Empath 06/11/2013 11:46 AM CDT
As a pure caster who primarily uses 1106, 1110, 2x spell aiming, overtraining in Empath circle, etc......what is a good level to start picking up CMAN ranks for training in Disarm and Cunning Defense? Heading towards level 75 and there are so many area's that disarm. Obviously you'd want to use a plain 4x, but reducing the chance of being disarmed in Maaghara Tower or OTF seems like a good way to stay alive.

I feel like picking up just one rank of cdefense or just one rank of disarm wouldn't be sufficient either. I'd like to get to 2 in cdefense and 1 in disarm at least, to help offset it. Do you guys think this is a good idea, or is it just not enough and would end up being a waste of points?
Re: Combat Manuevers for the High Level Empath 06/11/2013 12:23 PM CDT
<<As a pure caster who primarily uses 1106, 1110, 2x spell aiming, overtraining in Empath circle, etc......what is a good level to start picking up CMAN ranks for training in Disarm and Cunning Defense? Heading towards level 75 and there are so many area's that disarm. Obviously you'd want to use a plain 4x, but reducing the chance of being disarmed in Maaghara Tower or OTF seems like a good way to stay alive.>>
<<I feel like picking up just one rank of cdefense or just one rank of disarm wouldn't be sufficient either. I'd like to get to 2 in cdefense and 1 in disarm at least, to help offset it. Do you guys think this is a good idea, or is it just not enough and would end up being a waste of points?>>

To be honest, I've never really had much issue with disarming, certainly not enough to warrant training in combat maneuvers. That skill is way too expensive for me! Instead, I focused on incapacitating the creatures that disarm and keeping a spirit servant around to snag my runestaff in the off chance that something got a shot in. I then focused on keeping a high enough DS even without the runestaff, and I had no real issues.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Combat Manuevers for the High Level Empath 06/12/2013 01:05 AM CDT
<To be honest, I've never really had much issue with disarming, certainly not enough to warrant training in combat maneuvers. That skill is way too expensive for me! Instead, I focused on incapacitating the creatures that disarm and keeping a spirit servant around to snag my runestaff in the off chance that something got a shot in. I then focused on keeping a high enough DS even without the runestaff, and I had no real issues.>

Keeping your encumbrance down when in these areas goes a long way towards avoiding being disarmed as well. So leaving anything you don't plan on using during a hunt in your locker is a good idea (this includes the metric ton of fluff that so many who complain about getting hit by maneuvers too often tend to wear).

Also, I haven't hunted the areas that are being discussed, but if any of those critters are disarming via a creature maneuver rather then a CMAN, getting more PF would be much more cost efficient then training in combat maneuvers.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.