GoS Warpath Training Advice 04/08/2013 07:50 PM CDT
Alo. I am returning to my Warpath after a considerable diversion to a War Cleric, mainly for the purpose of playing a GoS character with my friend. He plays a 2h paladin and I'm seeking advice for constructing a warpath build to duo warcamps with him. I know this would probably be easier as a caster, but my main is a sorcerer and I don't really enjoy pure casting empaths much. It is worth noting we have access to full wizard spellups, so we'll be pretty well glowing when we do this.

My current training questions mainly revolve around MoC, weapon type, lores and cmans. I kind of want to go polearms for the slightly higher DS, but my agidex is only 44, so that rules out awl pikes (I refuse to use a lance...). This makes me think that perhaps a maul would be the way to go, and that I should try to get as close to 1x in MoC as possible and switch between a maul and a claid.

As far as cmans go I assume I should probably get disarm, since being disarmed in a warcamp would be game over.

Regarding lore training, I'm thinking it might be good to try to buff up troll's blood with both SMC and blessing, but I'm curious as to what people have to say about this. Would I be better served putting those lores into manipulation for the occasional bone shatter?

TO throw a complete 180 on this, should I consider getting 2x spell aiming so I can drop fire spirits and take advantage of my MoC to get flares on the whole room?

Any insight into this would be appreciated, particularly from higher level warpaths that do warcamps.

Many thanks.

Player of Daedelus
Re: GoS Warpath Training Advice 04/09/2013 03:28 AM CDT
(at level 21), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Combat Maneuvers...................| 96 22
Polearm Weapons....................| 99 23
Physical Fitness...................| 146 46
Harness Power......................| 93 21
Spirit Mana Control................| 99 23
Perception.........................| 99 23
Climbing...........................| 99 23

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 15

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 10

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 21

That is my polearm using empath, obviously. He isn't in GoS but his training isn't too far off from what you'd want.

You'd probably want to get into brig as soon as you can, cutting back on the combat maneuvers and spirit mana control to reach that goal.

You'd also want to work blessing lore into your training for the affect it has on 1107: Training in Spiritual Lore, Blessings unlocks an ability to restore lost stamina when cast. At 15 lore ranks, 25 stamina is stored. At 35 lore ranks, 50 stamina is restored. At 65 lore ranks, all stamina is restored. So, eventually you'll want 65 ranks, when you get them is up to you but I'd suggest being 1x in blessing by 65.

For spells, You want 211 and 215 at level. I'd suggest keeping empath spells at level until 30 at the very least. Some people start letting them slide just a bit under to pick up other goals sooner. After 15 you can either pick up the 100s to be able to cast them yourself, and your partner, or if you have a ready source for those get up to 219. If you get blues first you'll want 219 next, then to pick up to 120. After that is another choice and is more up to you between the spells, 130, 140, 230, and 240.

At some point you'll start having a surplus of tps then you can decide what you want to do with those. Options are what you asked a bit about and up to you, MoC has its benefits and 5 ranks will let you hit two creatures at once, 10 ranks offsets a second opponent attacking you. I think picking up spell aim would take away from the whole idea of you playing a weapon using character but that is on your. You can also work on tripling PF to increase your stamina pool. You can also put those points into more spells, usually one spirit circle or the other is choosen to increase the potency of its disabling spells.

For combat maneuvers you don't need disarm for warcamps actually, none of the creatures use it. Feint is a good one to start with or cdef because it will lessen the impact of combat maneuvers used on you and even make them miss sometimes. May not be as needed if you always have a hunting partner though.

As far as spirit mana control goes, I'd certainly suggest you be 1x in that for helping with trolls blood, it will also allow you to share with others and allow you to multicast your spells, and eventually use the mana spell up. All useful things.
Re: GoS Warpath Training Advice 04/09/2013 06:28 AM CDT
Warcamps are suckers for fire spirit, particularly troll ones. Its not going to suit your partner's style, but if you ever want to get a quick fry in a camp without any danger to yourself, make sure you are trained to throw fireballs as well as poke sticks. (spell aim, the AS boosting spells, as much summoning lore as you can find the points for and a few ranks of MOC). If you actually want to empty a camp with fireballs, you need an infinite supply of wands and the MIU to wave them as well, but its a dead easy fast fry.
Re: GoS Warpath Training Advice 04/09/2013 09:02 AM CDT
<You'd probably want to get into brig as soon as you can>
Honestly my almost 5x cap warpath never used anything but doubles if you are trained right the heavier armor is not necessary.

~Shi'larra
One bold fella breaks from the chain and climbs up on Brinret's chest, grabbing a hold of the tufts of hair on both sides of his head and holding him still! A fat, wet kiss is placed before the monkey disappears
Re: GoS Warpath Training Advice 04/09/2013 09:04 AM CDT
>For combat maneuvers you don't need disarm for warcamps actually

Is this true, even at high levels? I can see why they might leave it out so as to prevent uber weapons from getting lost.

Player of Daedelus
Re: GoS Warpath Training Advice 04/09/2013 12:33 PM CDT
>>Is this true, even at high levels?

I wouldn't have posted it other wise. And with everything that can happen in a warcamp there doesn't need to be any added frustration for people, which is likely why they left it out.

>>Honestly my almost 5x cap warpath never used anything but doubles if you are trained right the heavier armor is not necessary.

Your empath cheats and you know it :P We could go into the particulars of how you trained your empath and how that experience doesn't really count if you want though. I know one two-handed using empath at cap and one polearm user, they both use brig. Even with a full spell up there are just going to be times where you want the added protection I think.
Re: GoS Warpath Training Advice 04/09/2013 02:37 PM CDT
Polearms are useful, but my gal is a fat old giantkin, so I went with THWs for better speed. Mauls are nice, but flails and mattocks aren't bad either (she is using a 7x superior flail). I am not thrilled about blessing lore; TPs are tight for warpaths, and the benefit is less for an empath than a cleric. (If I were a pure caster, that would be another story; more TPs to spare on lores).

BTW, pure casting empaths are the bomb also. I tried that route, found out that it was too easy to kill stuff, and went back to THW because I needed more of a challenge, and also to be able to hit magic immune critters. 30 ranks of MOC not only gives you decent protection from FoF effect, but allows a focused MStrike on one opponent. An expensive skill for an empath though. I had to give up spell aiming to do it.

As for transformation lore, I didn't see the need for that either. FA is a very cheap skill, and serves a triple purpose. You get good skinning ability, can tend wounds if you absolutely must, and drops the RT of healing yourself using herbs. I usually use herbs in the field when I need to heal down, although occasionally spells are better (using herbs when critters are in the room will drop your DS if you are holding a THW).

>>Guennhafyr (at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 90 20
Combat Maneuvers...................| 201 101
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 204 104
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 120 30
Physical Fitness...................| 331 231
Arcane Symbols.....................| 120 30
Magic Item Use.....................| 161 61
Harness Power......................| 200 100
Mental Mana Control................| 145 45
Spirit Mana Control................| 120 30
Mental Lore - Manipulation.........| 160 60
Perception.........................| 140 40
Climbing...........................| 150 50
Swimming...........................| 170 70
First Aid..........................| 300 200

Spell Lists
Major Spiritual....................| 55

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 56

Spell Lists
Empath.............................| 100
Training Points: 3 Phy 20 Mnt<<

CM skills are disarm and feint. As for the weird armor skill at 20 ranks ... I happened across an oddity; a set of 6x cuirbolli armor with HCP. Had to have it! (It's almost as good protection as FGB, and it has a higher enchant and a bit less spell failure, and needs less armor skill). Being able to 3x in PF gives empaths ridiculous stamina; I can disarm and feint all day.

Also note: You may want to grab yourself a plain 4x runestaff. Make a macro to stow your TWH and grab the runestaff if you are facing bolt-casting foes.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: GoS Warpath Training Advice 04/09/2013 02:41 PM CDT
Oh yes; if you work it right, you can do this sort of thing without converting any TPs. For the sake of efficiency, this is a goal, as opposed to pure caster types, who convert thousands of PTPs to MTPs.

"If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying hard enough".
Re: GoS Warpath Training Advice 04/10/2013 04:25 AM CDT
>Also note: You may want to grab yourself a plain 4x runestaff. Make a macro to stow your TWH and grab the runestaff if you are facing bolt-casting foes.

You can also start and stop 102 now. If I'm switching to runestaff I'm putting up 102, though if you are switching at high frequency you may not want to.
Re: GoS Warpath Training Advice 04/10/2013 05:58 PM CDT
>>You can also start and stop 102 now.<<

An interesting point. Might depend on your race and toys; strength bonus weapon enhancives and such. I actually leave 102 on all the time; I have enough AS that the loss of 50 or so isn't critical. And I'd rather have the extra DS in case a new critter comes into the room while I am in RT after a M-strike.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me