Lady Eiadh’s Archer Empath Guide 08/15/2011 09:37 AM CDT
Reposting and attempting to sticky to hopefully make it available to more players.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team

AZURETH - Re: A Modest Survey on 06/20/2005 05:06 PM CDT

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Empaths/General%20Discussion/view/42

Bare minimum for an archer empath:

2x: perception, spell research (1x of those being empath)
1.5x: harness power
1x: armor (up to 35), ranged, spell aiming, spirit mana control (up to 24), first aid
.5x: arcane symbols, MIU, mental lore: manipulation

5 ranks of mental lore: telepathy, 10 ranks of climbing, 4 ranks of swimming by level 15 or so.

That should hold 'em for enough levels to figure things out.

See http://azureth.nfshost.com/guides.html for more detail, or http://azureth.nfshost.com/aeguide.html for stat placement and even further detail.

Prolly should add the same disclaimer as Salim, not necessarily best for n00b empaths.

-Eiadh's player
Re: Lady Eiadh’s Archer Empath Guide 08/15/2011 12:05 PM CDT
I disagree with a few of these recommendations. If you plan to use archery as your main attack, you can strip out a lot of the extra spell casting things up front. Focus on bow use in the begining and pick up the spell stuff later when you have points.

Bare training:
1x Armor till 8.
1x Ranged
1x Ptrain
2x Perception
1x Harness
2x Spells 1x Empath, Take Major to 219 and then fill in Minor.

Secondary as points allow:
Climbing & Swimming
2x First aid for skinning
30 ranks Mental Control
24 ranks Spirit Control
35 ranks Armor for Brig
30 ranks MIU & AS
2x Ptrain

Around level 50 you'll start to have tons of extra training points that you can invest into casting. At that point I recommend picking up skills to aid in setting up an eye shot or keeping you alive. The following are all good options to go with.

Web bolt & Fire spirit:
2x spell aim
20+ ranks Summoning lore
(optional 3 Multi opps ranks for bigger AoE on 111.)

Bone Shatter:
1x MMC

Regenerate & fast healing:
52 ranks Transformation lore

Cman defence:
40 ranks Cunning Defence
60 ranks Disarm
Re: Lady Eiadh’s Archer Empath Guide 08/15/2011 08:19 PM CDT
I'd point out that that guide was written about five years ago, prior to the re-work of empath spells/lores, so almost all of the magic skills advice is in dire need of an update. With that in mind, your training plan looks pretty similar.

~Kveta
Re: Lady Eiadh’s Archer Empath Guide 08/16/2011 10:01 AM CDT
Of course they are similar. There's only so much variation you can do and still be considered an Archer Empath. It's the details that make similar builds different. I'm fairly sure I made these same comments when Eiadh posted this originally.

If I remember correctly, she made heavy use of bone shatter in her build. That is why she has the high harness and manipulation lore. It used to do way more for 1106 than it does now. She used her bow for defence and to kill off nearly dead targets.

Eiadh's build uses way too many mental points to be trainable by someone starting out today. If you want to be a heavy casting empath with a bow I'd recommend you swap the Manipulation for MMC and drop the spell aiming until much later. You'll probably need to single the harness for awhile and make sure you double spell aiming when you do pick it up.

You're missing out on a lot of archery fun if you lead with spells though. Grab a crossbow and start shooting things in the eye! It's so much fun.

---Mirrami, crossbow empath of Plat for the last 9 years
Re: Lady Eiadh’s Archer Empath Guide 08/16/2011 01:18 PM CDT
Indeed; I had my THW using empath beefed up with a ton of manipulation lore, initially. I am now in the process of migtating a lot of it away. It seriously wasn't worth it for the miniscule effect on 1106.