Returning wizard, looking for a little help. 03/04/2016 07:50 AM CST
Howdy all. I've played Gemstone off and on since AOL was still $3/hour for internet or whatever. I played for a while a couple of years ago and then deactivated in 2014. Just reactivated the level 21 wizard that I had been playing at that time. I've been reading over the threads about the changes, perusing the Wiki, etc. but it's all a little overwhelming. I'm not looking for someone to crunch a bunch of numbers for me, just some general guidance. I feel fine about his stats since I'm sure I spent a good deal of time thinking about them when I created him.

Here's where I stand and then I'll type the questions that I have:

Name: Teflaro Race: Half-Krolvin Profession: Wizard (shown as: Hedgewizard)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 88 (29) ... 88 (29)
Constitution (CON): 80 (25) ... 80 (25)
Dexterity (DEX): 78 (14) ... 78 (14)
Agility (AGI): 83 (21) ... 83 (21)
Discipline (DIS): 66 (8) ... 66 (8)
Aura (AUR): 78 (14) ... 78 (14)
Logic (LOG): 76 (3) ... 76 (3)
Intuition (INT): 57 (3) ... 57 (3)
Wisdom (WIS): 80 (10) ... 80 (10)
Influence (INF): 56 (-2) ... 56 (-2)

Teflaro (at level 21), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 20 4
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 99 23
Physical Fitness...................| 96 22
Arcane Symbols.....................| 96 22
Magic Item Use.....................| 96 22
Spell Aiming.......................| 146 46
Harness Power......................| 96 22
Elemental Mana Control.............| 96 22
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 102 24
Perception.........................| 96 22
Climbing...........................| 25 5
Swimming...........................| 25 5

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 13

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 10

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 13
Training Points: 275 Phy 44 Mnt

As you can see, I'm undertrained in spells but have some points to spend. I'm swinging a maul in 2 seconds with celerity/qstrike for 2 stamina. Not having any problems hunting in Wehntoph right now with a 4x maul and 0x full leathers, though bandits did kill me once and I don't always fry.

1) I have max health points for a half-krolvin with my consitution. Should I keep training in physical fitness? What about perception?

2) How many ranks of MIU/AS should I get to reliably use wands and scrolls that I find?

3) Any suggestions for spell training? I'm thinking that I should probably just go straight for 425 at level 25 first?

4) Hunting suggestions for after I get some 4x fulls?

5) General thoughts/suggestions.

That's all I can think of. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply.
Re: Returning wizard, looking for a little help. 03/04/2016 09:40 AM CST

1) I have max health points for a half-krolvin with my consitution. Should I keep training in physical fitness? What about perception?

Yes. PF is a large contributor to avoiding maneuver attacks. You should 1x that for life.

2) How many ranks of MIU/AS should I get to reliably use wands and scrolls that I find?

I wouldn't worry too much about those. As a warmage, you need all the tp's you can get for weapons+spells. pures need those for runestaff defense, you don't.

3) Any suggestions for spell training? I'm thinking that I should probably just go straight for 425 at level 25 first?

yep, 425 is a good goal, but don't forget that wizard spells give the best defense per rank.

4) Hunting suggestions for after I get some 4x fulls?

at those levels I hunted fire rats/cats, then moved up to crested basalisks, but i skinned well.

5) General thoughts/suggestions.

Looks good. I think if I was a warmage, I would go with archery, but a maul is a solid weapon. If you have cash to blow, Zaoloo was selling an awesome warmage claidhmore, but at a steep cost.
Re: Returning wizard, looking for a little help. 03/04/2016 10:05 AM CST
Awesome, really appreciate it.

Few more questions for anyone who takes a look:

1) Keep singling perception?

2) Assuming that I do want to be able to use wands and scrolls just because I think it's cool, what's a good place to stop?

3) Keep singling mana control?

4) Would I need to be fully 1x in first aid/survival (or better?) to make skinning worth it?
Re: Returning wizard, looking for a little help. 03/04/2016 10:28 AM CST
>4) Would I need to be fully 1x in first aid/survival (or better?) to make skinning worth it?

My pure does 1x FA and .5x Survival. He has maxed Dexterity which also helps with skinning. He does really well with skinning.

>2) Assuming that I do want to be able to use wands and scrolls just because I think it's cool, what's a good place to stop?

I'd aim for 40 ranks in MIU for sure. This will help with increasing the time for items such as small statues (no MIU gives 20 minutes per rub). My Wizard has 124 MIU, small statue rub gives him 122 minutes.

I have a paladin with 16 ranks MIU, he gets 28 minutes per rub on a small statue.

40 ranks will pretty much guarantee you won't misfire a wizard based spell from a wand.

As for scroll reading, I'd also shoot for 40 ranks. Any spell in your circle will be easy to invoke. Other spell circles you should be able to invoke spells fairly well with 40 ranks.

> 3) Keep singling mana control?
If you can - should you rely on mana a lot for hunting. Higher mana control improves the amount of mana you get back per pulse. Every 10 ranks gives you a bonus of +1 to the mana regained on a pulse.

The skill will also determine the outcome to some spells (how effective they can be).

Minor Elemental
Elemental Saturation (413) - the target's TD will be reduced by seed 1 of the caster's EMC ranks on the initial cast.
Elemental Dispel (417) - the mana cost for removing a spell is reduced by one (1) mana per seventy-five (75) skill bonus in the Elemental Mana Control skill.
Mana Focus (418) - adds to success by ranks รท 2.

Major Elemental
Rapid Fire (515) - reduces the 3 minute cooldown by (skill / 2) seconds.
Mana Leech (516) - every 15 skill bonus increases recovery rate by +1 mana/min; +1 mana drained from the target for every 10 skill bonus
Charge Item (517) - increases charge success rate, reduces charge cost by 1 mana per 5 ranks
Cone of Elements (518) - skill bonus determines number of targets affected
Temporal Reversion (540) - chance to trigger is increased by 1% per 20 skill bonus from a base of 10%

Wizard Base
Tremors (909) - decreases the mana cost of the evoke version from a base of 5 by 1 each at 75 and 150 ranks
Enchant Item (925) - contributes towards the success rate of enchanting an item
Familiar Gate (930) - contributes towards the success rate of opening a portal and the number of people who can pass through

-Drumpel
Re: Returning wizard, looking for a little help. 03/04/2016 12:03 PM CST
Great, thanks for the reply!