New wizard looking for stat guidance 10/07/2015 12:46 AM CDT
I was hoping to get some guidance in the stat area for my elf wizard.
I've been playing off and on for around 20 years but this is my first wizard and I'm finding it all a bit over whelming in regards to stats.
I have read many of the guides but have not found much for an elven wizard.
I've heard that elves are not great for wizards but this character is more for rp than leveling.
I will most likely get bored and move onto something else by around level 70. (seems to happen with most of my characters) so I am not worried about maxing my stats out at cap. If I do make it that far i'll worry about that then, I'm just looking for something fun to play till around 70.
Your thoughts, input, mockery even....

Name: Race: Elf Profession: Wizard (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 57 (3) ... 57 (3)
Constitution (CON): 57 (3) ... 57 (3)
Dexterity (DEX): 82 (21) ... 82 (21)
Agility (AGI): 64 (22) ... 64 (22)
Discipline (DIS): 68 (-6) ... 68 (-6)
Aura (AUR): 90 (25) ... 90 (25)
Logic (LOG): 86 (18) ... 86 (18)
Intuition (INT): 67 (8) ... 67 (8)
Wisdom (WIS): 69 (9) ... 69 (9)
Influence (INF): 67 (18) ... 67 (18)

Thanks.
Re: New wizard looking for stat guidance 10/07/2015 02:12 AM CDT
Your strength and con are abyssmal; you won't be able to carry anything without getting weighted down.
Re: New wizard looking for stat guidance 10/07/2015 02:41 AM CDT

I don't think there's anything wrong with elven wizards but it will probably affect which society you gain most benefit from. If GoS or Voln suit your character, that would be ideal.

http://cmnservicesgroup.com/lostranger/a-growth-gs4.php?race=Elf&class=Wizard&maxlevel=100&gap=25&addprime=1&con=94&str=84&dex=44&agl=84&dis=84&aur=54&log=54&int=44&wis=54&inf=44

There's a link with a stat cruncher I like to use for my characters. Right now the stats are set up rather strongly for growth which may not be your biggest concern.

The thing that jumps out at me is that very low STR stat. Just for convenience sake I would probably try to get that a bit higher since it will not grow very much at all as an elven wizard. But I like carrying a lot of junk around so your mileage may vary.
Re: New wizard looking for stat guidance 10/07/2015 07:58 AM CDT
I'd have to agree that the Strength stat is low. It sucks having low strength, especially as a wizard. Even more so if you rely on wands for the first 10-30 levels. Encumbrance plays a big role in your success to waving those wands.

Your Dex, Aura and Int will grow fast. My suggestion would be to maybe knock 5 points off each (DEX, AUR and INT), add 10 points to your Strength and 5 to your Constitution.

With my wizard (dark elf, level 79), his strength is at 97 right now. I have all my containers lightened as much as possible (next will be my armor).
I've got a knapsack full of herbs, some gold rings and a few oak wands.
My longcoat holds blue crystals, small statues, a couple of wands (should the occasion arise for their need) and scrolls (this is my backup loot container).
My backpack is empty and used for loot from hunting (skins, boxes, gems, etc).
My gem pouch holds expensive gems and important jewelry enhancive items.
My weapon harness hold a couple of runestaves.
My pants holds a toy ball that keeps me entertained and currency notes from various towns.
I've also got other things on me such as boots, ankle-sheath and so on.

Without carrying any silver, once my backpack hits about 80 pounds of total weight, that's when I start to become encumbered (this is with the Strength spell running). After playing a few other characters with low strength, like you have, it's so annoying when after picking up the first box that weighs 12 pounds to become encumbered.

-Drumpel
Re: New wizard looking for stat guidance 10/07/2015 11:44 AM CDT
These are great responses, and I generally support them.

I actually happen to like elves as wizards (have a couple trundling around). I do happen to have a relatively weak elf (strength lower than what's being proposed here), purposefully for the RP. It does create challenges in exactly the terms noted - encumbrance can become a factor and can detract from hunting enjoyment.

But I suppose that's what this gets down to for me. Do you want to play a robust / hale elven wizard, one who strides the lands seeking out challenge for the sake of the challenge? If yes - add to strength and constitution as others are suggesting.

If you're interested in roleplaying a more bookish, less hearty wizard - and most importantly if this wizard is going to be largely RP I will presume you'll be doing a good amount of group hunting - then leave your stats pretty much where you have them. Tell the warrior / monk / rogue (etc.) of the group to dirty their hands, while you pay attention to the floes of the elemental mana.

It's always an interesting discussion point, if nothing else. :)

On a purely mechanical note - the value of lightened armor shouldn't ever be underestimated, I usually buy lighter containers, limit the count, and focus on lightening the armor first.

Doug