new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/17/2015 09:02 AM CDT

hello , I never played a wizard before and want to be a pure caster and hold a runestaff , can someone please give help me with a training plan and stat placement ? thanks
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/17/2015 09:10 AM CDT
An excellent choice! Welcome to wizardry.

There's a lot of ground that could be covered, but a great starting point is the following link:

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/A_beginner%27s_guide_to_playing_a_wizard

There are other, more advanced guides available on the GSWiki, as well. I'd encourage you to read the beginner's guide, then perhaps scan a few others (Whirlin's Guide is pretty good for more advanced topics, the beginner's guide to combat can help orient you to what you're seeing when you're fighting, etc.)

These guides will answer most questions - but possibly generate others. Drop on back by with more questions - there's a cabal of wizards that are more than happy to answer even the most esoteric of questions.

Hope to see you in the lands, soon!

Doug
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/17/2015 09:33 AM CDT

thanks that helped a lot , if holding a runestaff though do I need to train in any weapon stuff to have the ds ? do I need shield or any weapons at all that's kinda what I don't know now
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/17/2015 09:36 AM CDT
A great question - and one that the wizard guide doesn't really speak to very well.

The short answer is no - you do not need to learn any weapon / shield skills if you don't wish to. You can focus purely on magical skills to increase your defenses while using a runestaff. Here's another link that helps explain the behind-the-scene mechanics, but the bottom line is simple: Train magical skills, and your defenses with the runestaff improve.

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Runestaff

Pay particular attention to the Training subsection.

Doug
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/17/2015 04:01 PM CDT
>>want to be a pure caster and hold a runestaff<<

Wimp.

::This space for Rent::
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/19/2015 08:18 AM CDT
Holding a long staff in your hand makes a wizard. Just look at Gandolf the Gray and White. He used a runestaff and hand-and-half sword.. at the same time. So go for it. Be a pure and train in 2 handers and two weapon combat! Come on. Do it..Do it... Doooo itt.

Lady Nairena
Air Mage of Ta'Vaalor
Proud Member of the Eahnor Assembly
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/20/2015 08:42 PM CDT

One thing I don't see in any of those guides is that a pure wizard will want to over train his 500's circle for really good leech CS. You can easily get 3 spell ranks a level. I'm shooting for 538 / 908 / 425 at level 25
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/21/2015 03:19 AM CDT
<<One thing I don't see in any of those guides is that a pure wizard will want to over train his 500's circle for really good leech CS. You can easily get 3 spell ranks a level. I'm shooting for 538 / 908 / 425 at level 25

...I just noticed with that set up you're missing out on two major DS spells for Wizards, 913 and 911. But sometimes at those levels you might not need them.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/21/2015 08:41 AM CDT
>>One thing I don't see in any of those guides

This could go a lot of different ways - but I'll start with the difference between 'guide' and 'cookbook'.

I may be the absolute last person in the entire lands who feels this way, but I don't think every answer to every possible outcome should be included in a guide. There would be nothing to learn, no journey. There would be no uniqueness, only sameness - the hive mind would rule. Might as well just buy the novel, than try to live it. A guide should show a starting path that allows thinkers to ask more questions to learn even more.

I respect that this is an absolutely viable training choice. I don't think though that it follows that each 'pure wizard' will want to overtrain 500's. That is just one of the potential paths, and it requires significant tradeoffs to walk to this path to this degree.

Still, at least the beginner's guide points out that these types of discussions are common, and there's no right or wrong answer. There's nothing wrong with an example case or two to make the point, however, if you'd like to add it. I just would hope to have impressed that it is not 'the' answer, but it is the joy of our profession.

Doug
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/21/2015 08:42 AM CDT
I don't necessarily recommend doing this, but if you wanted to tank 900s early on you could easily afford to do so. The wizard circle accounts for a large portion of wizard defenses later on, but the benefits are almost entirely rank-based. At 100 ranks you gain about 125 DS just from 905 and 913, but at level 13 you gain only 17 DS (plus some bolt DS/ETD). You can afford to do without these spells, and blur can be cast by others. A cast or two of an out of circle spell would cover the difference.

The rest of the low 900s circle consists mostly of your staple bolt spells. However, most of these are too expensive for practical use at the low end. So you could afford to do without most of them as well. You could get away with only going up to 903 at first. Maybe 904. You aren't likely to be able to afford regular use of anything higher than that for some time.

This would basically allow you to keep 400s/500s at level just training 2x. At that point you have points to spare. I'm not really convinced overtraining in 500s is a good investment just to boost mana leech CS, but certainly if you have no other priorities that take precedent you might as well. I don't see any major drawbacks to this strategy. No matter what you do you'll eventually catch up on those 900s anyway.

~Taverkin
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/21/2015 08:48 AM CDT
I disagree, Doug. Give people the information and let them do what they will with it. Personally, I prefer guides that are thorough and explain not only what to do but the pros/cons and reasoning behind these decisions. Most of that information is going to be a bit above the grasp of a new player, but it will make sense to them the more they play and they will incorporate it into their knowledge base.

I don't see any danger of everyone becoming exactly the same. First, this is a roleplaying game. Even if we all had the same stats and skills, these things don't define our characters. But even in a non-RP game like WoW, the fact that there is often one "best" way to set up talents/gear/etc. for a particular task, how well one player performs may be vastly different from the next even though both have the same information available to them.

There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. ;)

~Taverkin
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/21/2015 09:01 AM CDT
>>I disagree, Doug.

Ayep - possibly the last one in the lands, I am. Heh. I'm not saying 'don't share' on the information, I'm simply saying a 'guide' generally isn't the place I'd put it. But - guide is used by way too many people way too differently for a good agreement.

For example, there's a pure mage article that I've been considering expanding with a lot of information about various subtleties in training paths. There's a war-mage article that really needs the same treatment. But - the one I'm most interested in working on is the Magus (called charger mage previously) article.

At any rate - I would have the information out there, too. I would hope people would read / ask questions. I would hope people would add their direct experiences and observations. What I wouldn't do is strive to put all the answers in one location and call it 'guide'.

>>There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. ;)

I must be waiting for my next life, then. Who knows? ;)

Doug
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/21/2015 11:04 AM CDT
>>...I just noticed with that set up you're missing out on two major DS spells for Wizards, 913 and 911. But sometimes at those levels you might not need them.

On one of my wizards I had these spells by 15 and I had a good bit more DS then I needed for a long while.
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/21/2015 01:26 PM CDT
<<...I just noticed with that set up you're missing out on two major DS spells for Wizards, 913 and 911. But sometimes at those levels you might not need them.>>

this. 913 is a much better stopping point IMO. I'll take what, 20 dodge ranks + 1 DS from 905 scaling + 10 ds + 20 ETD? Over .75*5 = 3.75 CS.

As long as your MjE is = level you shouldn't have trouble leeching really.
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/21/2015 03:31 PM CDT
Well, you will have some trouble leeching. But that's mainly because at level 25 the cost of a miss with mana leech is as much as 20% of your mana pool! And that really hurts when the entire purpose of the spell is to recover mana!

Still, the CS boost from overtraining is also quite small at this level and you do give up some utility and defense by not training further in 900s. Which is why I say I don't necessarily recommend tanking 900s so severely (I think 13 ranks is a good stopping point, too). Either way, it isn't going to make or break a wizard and eventually you will bring your 900s up out of necessity as it is our primary defensive circle.

~Taverkin
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/21/2015 07:06 PM CDT
Where are these guides located?

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: new runestaff holding pure wizard 04/22/2015 04:25 AM CDT

I noticed that many of the guides recommend using weapons and or shield up until level 20 or so. I only did so until level 7 at which time I switched to runestaff. This was before 1700 release and I really had any trouble getting a full experience bucket. Now with 1700 you can go without using a weapon or shield ever.

To OP training in any of the magical skills adds to staff DS and some are relatively cheap. As someone else has posted you can skimp on Wizard Base early on. Get the 513 spell then the 425 spell at their level and you can go from there how you like.

Just an elf about town...