Help for an old time player recently returned 11/09/2013 10:50 AM CST
Hi all. Just returned to Gemstome after a 10-12 year absence and could use some help. When I started GS way back in the day Thalior took me under his wing and I had a pretty good sorcerer as a result. That character is now gone, and I am not sure if I have set up this new one correctly under the new to me GS IV. Any help would be appreciated:

Name: Faenrinor Race: Dark Elf Profession: Sorcerer
Level: 5 Gender: Male Age: 76

Experience:
Experience: 31780 Next level at: 40000 exp.
Exp. until next lvl: 8220
Fame: 5465 Deeds: 1 Deaths this level: 0
Your mind is as clear as a bell.

Wealth:
Silvers: 56 coins

Skills:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Physical Fitness...................| 35 7
Arcane Symbols.....................| 30 6
Magic Item Use.....................| 35 7
Spell Aiming.......................| 30 6
Harness Power......................| 54 11
Elemental Mana Control.............| 25 5
Spirit Mana Control................| 25 5
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 5 1
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........| 20 4
Survival...........................| 25 5
Perception.........................| 5 1
Climbing...........................| 10 2
Swimming...........................| 10 2
First Aid..........................| 15 3
Trading............................| 20 4

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 1

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 5

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 9
Training Points: 19 Phy 0 Mnt (152 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

192 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2014.

You started this migration period on Friday, 11/1/2013 at 11:16:12 EDT. You have 21 days, 22 hours, 29 minutes remaining in your current 30 day migration period.

You're currently migrating at a rate of .001 skill points per pulse, and have converted 387.00 training points this migration period.

Further information can be found in the FAQs.

Spell Ranks:
Minor Spiritual :5
Minor Elemental :1
Sorcerer Base :9

Stats: Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 56 (3) ... 56 (3)
Constitution (CON): 76 (8) ... 76 (8)
Dexterity (DEX): 45 (8) ... 45 (8)
Agility (AGL): 99 (29) ... 99 (29)
Discipline (DIS): 48 (-11) ... 48 (-11)
Aura (AUR): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Logic (LOG): 62 (6) ... 62 (6)
Intuition (INT): 61 (10) ... 61 (10)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Influence (INF): 32 (-14) ... 32 (-14)

The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the fury of a Faendryl!
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 11/09/2013 03:19 PM CST
I don't see anything that really jumps out as bad. Though, with Spell Aiming you should 2x in it or drop it, just 1x won't allow you to be very proficient with bolts and it doesn't help a great deal with Focused Implosion unless you're 2x in it either.

You also might want to reconsider your FA training. Sorcerers are never very good at skinning and having training in that skill (or survival) will make the Adventurer's Guild give you skinning tasks. If you don't mind doing these tasks (the only character I have that doesn't have trouble with them is my ranger... even my empath struggles with them) or having to wait 15 minutes between tasks when dropping them, go ahead and keep it. Personally, I've never found TENDing that useful unless I have to take someone to an NPC healer and, depending on your society choice, TENDing yourself might be a moot point.

For stats, I'd DEFINITELY drop AUR and WIS 10-20 points (don't drop AUR too low if you intend on joining that "other" society, though) and AGL by at least 10 points each before your 30 days is up. Having them maxed out will make the beginning levels easier, but you'll suffer later on when other stats don't catch up. The points you get back from lowering those stats can go into DIS (contributes to how many PHY and MNT TPs you get and will be useful if you ever intend on learning Illusions) and INF (at least enough that the bonus isn't a negative number, you'll never get decent prices in shops as a dark elf, no sense in making it worse)

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 11/12/2013 07:49 PM CST
>You also might want to reconsider your FA training.

If you're going Voln 50 ranks of FA training is useful, though not critical...a few necro lore ranks and/or a small stash of herbs can pretty much eliminate the need to be able to tend wounds. Now that blood burst provides blood return, you can just hit one or two critters at the beginning of your hunt and you rarely have to worry about bleeding during a hunt.

--Jurp
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 11/13/2013 07:28 AM CST
Thanks all. Things have changed, and 13 years out of the game hasn't helped either, so thanks for all the advice! I appreciate all of it.

The treachery of demons is nothing compared to the fury of a Faendryl!
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 11/13/2013 11:31 AM CST
Note: FA training reduces RT from using herbs to heal yourself; especially out in the field this can be useful. That having been said, neither of my sorceresses have trained in this skill; I find TP's to be tight. Well, of course, one of the gals is training in THWs and CMan; but the other is a pure caster and still never seems to have enough TPs.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 12/16/2013 11:28 AM CST

Name: Bankar Elvinmire
Race: Dark Elf Profession: Sorcerer
Cultural History: None
Level: 56 Experience: 3100223
Maximum Mana Points: 183 Health Points: 118
Your Personal Fame: You have no fame at this time
Hair Color: steel grey
Hair Style: shoulder length
Hair Texture: wavy
Hair Quirks:
Eye Characteristics:
Eye Color: hazel
Complexion: fair
Height:
Facial Characteristics:
Nose Characteristics:
Distinguishing Marks:

Statistic Bonus
Constitution (CON) : 57 ... -2
Dexterity (DEX) : 77 ... 23
Discipline (DIS) : 97 ... 13
Logic (LOG) : 98 ... 24
Intuition (INT) : 78 ... 19
Strength (STR) : 61 ... 5
Agility (AGL) : 78 ... 19
Influence (INF) : 78 ... 9
Wisdom (WIS) : 100 ... 30
Aura (AUR) : 100 ... 35
Bonus Skill Name (Training pts left: 6 phy 0 mnt)

20 Armor Use
102 Shield Use
5 Combat Maneuvers
149 Edged Weapons
105 Physical Fitness
111 Arcane Symbols
96 Magic Item Use
130 Spell Aiming
158 Harness Power
117 Elemental Mana Control
134 Spirit Mana Control
117 Sorcerous Lore - Demonology
117 Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy
58 Survival
62 Disarming Traps
5 Picking Locks
105 Perception
102 Climbing
74 Swimming
58 First Aid
54 Trading

I returned after several years of being absent. Stance dancing had just been implemented for Sorcerers. My overall training reflects an older and outdated playstyle. I am not sure where to start now, should I reassign stats. The character manager screen and points is confusing to me but I am trying to do catch up.

BTW what does this mean Phy converted to Mnt: 1254
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 12/16/2013 11:33 AM CST
>Bonus Skill Name

much easier to help you if you post skill ranks instead of bonus. Did you train any spells?
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 12/16/2013 01:51 PM CST

Name: Bankar Elvinmire Race: Dark Elf Profession: Sorcerer
Level: 56 Gender: Male Age: 92

Experience:
Experience: 3100253 Next level at: 3186500 exp. Exp. until next lvl: 86247
Fame: 2 Deeds: 6 Deaths this level: 0
Your mind is as clear as a bell.

Wealth:
Silvers: 1124 coins

Skills:
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 20 4
Shield Use.........................| 102 24
Combat Maneuvers...................| 5 1
Edged Weapons......................| 149 49
Physical Fitness...................| 105 25
Arcane Symbols.....................| 111 27
Magic Item Use.....................| 96 22
Spell Aiming.......................| 130 35
Harness Power......................| 158 58
Elemental Mana Control.............| 117 29
Spirit Mana Control................| 134 37
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 117 29
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........| 117 29
Survival...........................| 58 12
Disarming Traps....................| 62 13
Picking Locks......................| 5 1
Perception.........................| 105 25
Climbing...........................| 102 24
Swimming...........................| 74 16
First Aid..........................| 58 12
Trading............................| 54 11

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 36

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 48

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 63
Training Points: 6 Phy 0 Mnt (1254 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

155 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2014.

Your 30 day migration period will begin when you choose to degrade a skill.

Further information can be found in the FAQs.

Spell Ranks:
Minor Spiritual :48
Minor Elemental :36
Sorcerer Base :63

Stats: Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 61 (5) ... 61 (5)
Constitution (CON): 57 (-2) ... 57 (-2)
Dexterity (DEX): 77 (23) ... 77 (23)
Agility (AGL): 78 (19) ... 78 (19)
Discipline (DIS): 97 (13) ... 97 (13)
Aura (AUR): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Logic (LOG): 98 (24) ... 98 (24)
Intuition (INT): 78 (19) ... 78 (19)
Wisdom (WIS): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Influence (INF): 78 (9) ... 78 (9)

I seem to have all of my old spells that I can recall with some renamed etc.

Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 12/16/2013 02:31 PM CST

Skills:

Armor use: you can stick with 4 ranks for full leathers, but many of us get 8 ranks and wear double leathers. 8 ranks will also let you wear enhancive arm and leg greaves on top of the armor.

Shield use: a vast majority of sorcerers use a runestaff. Although there are still a few shield users and weapon users out there, if you are looking to play a pure sorcerer, I strongly recommend using a runestaff and at least temporarily ensorcelling it before every hunt (new spell 735). A runestaff will inspect as requiring two handed weapons to use, but that training is not necessary if you never intend to swing it. To increase your ability in using a runestaff for defensive purposes, you will train in a variety of magical skills that you would have likely trained in anyway, nice huh? For another explanation, see http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Runestaff. Anyway, drop all your shield ranks.

Edged: Drop all of these ranks.

Physical fitness: many will say to 1x, I think you can free up points by doing .6x

Arcane symbols: no less than 1x, 1.5x if you can

MIU: 1x

Spell aim: 2x or nothing. I recommend 2x.

harness power: 1x, maybe 1.25x. use rods/wands to supplement your mana

EMC/SMC: 1x each. see the new MANA abilities (mana spellup, mana pulse) http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/MANA_(verb)

Lores: very much a personal choice. I like .5x-1x per. You can check different thresholds for different spells and decide what your goals are for this.

Survival: I think survival is very much underrated. .5x is good

Disarm traps: drop this, use 125 if you see a trap that can kill with 408

Picking locks: drop this

climb/swim: .5x is good

First aid: personal choice. I like to skin. Survival+first aid=skinning ability

Trading: save that for post-cap

Spells: personal choice. many will tell you that you must have 20 sorcerer spell ranks over your level. That's nonsense. You'll do fine hunting with +10 sorcerer spell ranks, or even less if you hunt smart. However, with more sorcerer spell ranks you will be better at ensorcell.

Other skills to consider:

Perception: at least .5x (many say 1x, I say save points)

Spiritual Lore-Summoning: many 100 level spells are affected by it, and curse. See http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_Lore,_Summoning

Stats: use this spreadsheet http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Training_Spreadsheet to help you set your stats
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 12/16/2013 09:53 PM CST
TP covversion: Most pure casters do this. TPs are converted on a 2:1 basis; in this case, you paid 2 PTPs to get 1 MTP for training purposes. Not to worry.

I haven't played either of my sorceresses in a while; empaths, wizards and clerics are now the kick butt killing machines so I concentrated on these and capped all three. Currently working on paladin and rogue.

However, if you want a pure caster sorcerer example, here's my level 42 sorceress. The elemental lores were intended for enhancement of the elemental damage cycles from DC. Alas, DC isn't the spell it once was; these TPs can probably be better used elsewhere. Also note the odd emphasis on MnE circle; I wanted major e-wave badly. Go figure. I will go back to training in Sorcerer ranks if I ever start playing her again. PF has been stated to be the main spell caster's defense vs maneuver type attacks, so I will probably divert some of her stored PTPs to more PF ranks.

>> Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Physical Fitness...................| 105 25
Arcane Symbols.....................| 96 22
Magic Item Use.....................| 130 35
Spell Aiming.......................| 188 88
Harness Power......................| 188 88
Elemental Mana Control.............| 90 20
Spirit Mana Control................| 140 40
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 50 10
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 50 10
Sorcerous Lore - Demonology........| 90 20
Perception.........................| 120 30
Climbing...........................| 93 21
Swimming...........................| 62 13

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 35

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 30

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 35
Training Points: 86 Phy 0 Mnt (1032 Phy converted to Mnt)

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 12/16/2013 11:24 PM CST
If you can reassign your stats I suggest you place them for capped growth, especially at 56 you'd be over the worst parts for having lower prime stats compared to someone who went for tps. If you decided to do that this is a useful site: http://home.mchsi.com/~cphillips73/StatCruncher/StatCruncher.html
I tend to use the maximizer to get a ball park on where to place stats then use the cruncher to fine tune the numbers to what I want.

For skills, find out what things you want your character to be able to do then figure out what all skills you need to do them. As a pure you can level with just 2x spells and 1x HP, everything beyond that is basically gravy. Nearly everyone pushes magical skills for runestaff defense but it is better to just train the skills you actually plan on using.

For some contrast here is my sorcerers stats and skills, he is also level 55 so close to what you could do.

Race: Forest Gnome Profession: Sorcerer (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 96 (13) ... 96 (13)
Constitution (CON): 91 (30) ... 91 (30)
Dexterity (DEX): 88 (24) ... 88 (24)
Agility (AGI): 91 (30) ... 91 (30)
Discipline (DIS): 85 (22) ... 85 (22)
Aura (AUR): 82 (16) ... 82 (16)
Logic (LOG): 85 (22) ... 85 (22)
Intuition (INT): 88 (19) ... 88 (19)
Wisdom (WIS): 85 (22) ... 85 (22)
Influence (INF): 64 (2) ... 64 (2)

I tanked INF because INT is one of the main stats for ensorcell.

(at level 55), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
| Bonus Ranks
Physical Fitness...................| 157 57
Magic Item Use.....................| 90 20
Harness Power......................| 155 55
Elemental Mana Control.............| 90 20
Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy........| 155 55
Perception.........................| 90 20
Climbing...........................| 150 50
Swimming...........................| 66 14
Trading............................| 120 30

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 34

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 22

Spell Lists
Sorcerer...........................| 102

1x PF- maneuver defense.
20 MIU - Allows him to easily use magic items with 1711(mystic focus, the quartz orb spell).
1x HP - We all need mana and being in CoL 1x is plenty.
20 EMC - allows him to share with elemental casters.
55 Necromancy lore - Was demonology, switched to help out with researching necrotic energy gains.
Not quite sure what lores I'd settle with now but I am not going to worry about it until May and the next fixskills.
20 Perception - Need this to be able to travel through some areas.
50 Climb - getting around.
14 Swim - getting around, aiming for 50 ranks.
30 Trading - Gives him 10% trading bonus, definitely not needed but I like it.
34 MnE - TD/DS/CS, spells from this circle give those benefits, keeping roughly 2/3 level to maximize for CS.
22 MnS - Mostly used for DS, sitting at 22 ranks because it gives +1 sorcerer CS and +2 DS over having just 20 for 120.
102 Sorcerer - Heavily over trained for CS, shooting to have +59 above level. Sorcerer ranks also help a lot with ensorcell,
which adds nice benefits to gear and I am interested in seeing what skills it takes to do projects of varying difficulties.
CS is currently 303 and should hit 535 at cap, as a dark elf you could have 5 more then that.

This character does the two things well that I want him to do, hunt and ensorcell.

Things you'll want to consider for your character, scroll infusion, using focused implosion, bolt spells, demons, phasing, animates, faster necrotic energy gains, ensorcelling, skinning, weapons, shields, and anything else you can think of. If there is anything you want to know in particular or don't understand feel free to ask. A great source of information is www.krakiipedia.org if you haven't noticed. This is a decent article on ensorcell: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Ensorcell
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 12/16/2013 11:28 PM CST
<Survival: I think survival is very much underrated. .5x is good>

I think this largely depends on what a person intends on doing with their sorcerer and where they're going to be spending their time. If someone has the spare TPs and is going to be spending a lot of time in areas with environmental effects it influences or doing a lot of foraging, it's worth having. If not, there are better places to spend the TPs.

I'll also note that many swampy areas that take Survival into account when moving through them give the same benefit if you have Waterwalking (112) cast on you.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 12/17/2013 10:44 AM CST
Thanks for the input. I went to Voln Monastery and still have a couple hundred spins or so. I went Darkstone where I used to while away the hours going after banshees and mein golems. Currently this is a bad idea for me due to me scavenging some gear. I went to shades and collected breastplates so I could afford a backpack etc.

No regrets in giving away all my enchanted custom gear but boy does it make the game that more challenging now. I can no longer go into Hearsthone Manor! What! Looks like I need to work on my fame again. So all things considered where should I go to hunt with just basic gear? Any thoughts or suggestions. I was kind of thinkin Pookas if they are still around.
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 12/17/2013 11:26 AM CST
Find Daedelus or Kilshaar in game and I'll outfit you with a 4x runestaff and some kinda enchanted armor.

Player of Kilshaar
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 12/17/2013 03:26 PM CST
I just noticed that two different folks are asking for training advice in this one thread. ::blush::

I was wondering how a level 5 sorcerer was planning on hunting Pookas.

::facepalms self::

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Help for an old time player recently returned 01/09/2014 09:21 PM CST
>I can no longer go into Hearsthone Manor! What! Looks like I need to work on my fame again.

This response is a bit delayed, but if you could previously enter Hearthstone Manor and cannot now do so, you can put in an ASSIST to have your fame corrected. A GM can adjust your fame manually if it did not convert correctly on an old character.