Fixing up a picking rouge 09/19/2014 03:55 AM CDT
I just reactivated my level 12 rouge and I want to make him a top notch picker.
The ability to hunt would be nice but I think I could do without if there is not enough left over.
Now given the below should I work with what I have by migrating skills or would I be better off scrapping and starting fresh?
In either case what should I be getting and why if you can please help explain.
Also is there a way to multilog (if it is legal) so I can pass my other chars boxes to him?

Member of Voln

Name: Obviouslynotarealnamehere Race: Giantman Profession: Rogue (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 94 (37) ... 94 (37)
Constitution (CON): 66 (18) ... 66 (18)
Dexterity (DEX): 94 (17) ... 94 (17)
Agility (AGI): 94 (17) ... 94 (17)
Discipline (DIS): 74 (12) ... 74 (12)
Aura (AUR): 73 (6) ... 73 (6)
Logic (LOG): 56 (-2) ... 56 (-2)
Intuition (INT): 58 (4) ... 58 (4)
Wisdom (WIS): 62 (6) ... 62 (6)
Influence (INF): 36 (-2) ... 36 (-2)
Mana: 2 Silver: 259
s>skill
Obvious (at level 12), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 114 28
Ranged Weapons.....................| 114 28
Brawling...........................| 114 28
Ambush.............................| 114 28
Physical Fitness...................| 58 12
Dodging............................| 114 28
Disarming Traps....................| 5 1
Picking Locks......................| 10 2
Stalking and Hiding................| 142 42
Perception.........................| 142 42
Climbing...........................| 20 4
Training Points: 0 Phy 70 Mnt (78 Mnt converted to Phy)

Crossbow user atm with some skill in making his own bolts
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/19/2014 06:34 AM CDT
Open archers make fantastic locksmiths. Never a shortage of TP's, including the ability to get a few ranks of MnE ranks for the picking enhancing spells as well as CMAN's. You're training in brawling and Stalk and Hide as well so your TP's are probably very tight. Since your character is level 12 you could just re-roll and not suffer too much if you so chose. I'd go straight open archer (if you like ranged combat) and just run with it. As you get older you can take your extras TP's and dump them in Stalk and Hide and get the CMAN's you need to be a better sniper. Perosnally I've never been a fan of Crossbows. I'd use a composite bow till you max your strength then jump on the longbow. That will keep your RT as low as you can get it.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/19/2014 07:11 AM CDT
Multi accounting is legal (and fairly common). You can only have one character per account active legally, but there aren't account restrictions.

Giant is about the worst race for picking. (due to racial penalty on DEX which is the key stat)

If you really want to be a top notch picker you should start again with a different race. However if your primary motivation is services for your alts, the existing one might be fine.

Do you want this to be an independent character that touts for business from other players, or one that is mostly there just for alts boxes?
Do you want to pick boxes because you enjoy that activity, or because your alts don't want to pay Larton?

Bear in mind that levelling is a lot slower for service providers. If you want to have a top notch smith at level 50, you'll get there a lot faster by levelling a character to level 40 before you even think about picking. If you just want to play a top notch smith, then go for it from the beginning.
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/19/2014 12:55 PM CDT
<<Giant is about the worst race for picking. (due to racial penalty on DEX which is the key stat) >>

I would even say they don't make the best rogues in general since they're one of the slowest races in GS. If you have RP reason's for being a giant rogue, there's nothing wrong with it... but you won't have it as easy as the smaller, faster races. Level 12 is pretty easy to get to in a day or two, so if there aren't RP reasons for the choice I'd reroll as an elf or gnome.

<<Bear in mind that levelling is a lot slower for service providers. If you want to have a top notch smith at level 50, you'll get there a lot faster by levelling a character to level 40 before you even think about picking. If you just want to play a top notch smith, then go for it from the beginning.>>

I'd suggest a compromise between the two. There's no reason a rogue can't 2x in picking skills and hunt like level or above with most weapon styles. This would allow them to work through lmastery as they go (which is a must to be considered a top notch smith) and they can bump it up to 3x later if they see the need or decide they want to become a pure service picker.

Though, an sniper shouldn't have any problem being a terror in the hunting grounds by level 30-35 while also 3xing in picking skills if they have decent stats and make wise choices with where they put their CMAN points. TPs are tight with this rout and there won't be any left for anything extra, but it's easier then is usually suggested here in the forums (unless you like hunting undead....blessed arrows are a pain to begin with and a lot of them are immune to crits).

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/19/2014 01:50 PM CDT
I like giantkin for many professions, mostly because having a ton of health is a survival plus when hunting. If you aren't going to hunt much, then, as mentioned, poor agi/dex is a detriment for a number of activities. I'd personally never go for one of the smaller races, though, dexterity be damned. Lousy health and poor carrying capacity don't appeal to me. Might I suggest half-krolvin as a possible alternative? They get a good strength bonus, have almost as much health as a giantkin, and are rather more dextrous. The drawback is that nobody will like you. That having been said, I went with half-elves and dark elves for my rogues, although I do have a half-Krolvin paladin, so I know something about how that race works.

I have three rogues because there are three main paths a rogue might follow. Combat oriented, locksmith oriented, and middle of the road. Now, there are various subsets of combat styles; hand weapons + ambushing, archery (both from the open and sniping from hiding) and brawling/UAC are the main venues here. Note that is it not possible to hide and ambush when using the larger polearms; it's hard to remain inconspicuous behind a bush when holding a 10 foot halberd. Archery is quite popular, although the mechanics can get a bit complicated.

Re-rolling is certainly an option; you can get back to level 12 within 2 weeks. The exact time depends on how crazy you want to go with time devoted to GSIV; it can be done faster. I am giving an estimate that assumes you also have a life outside of GS. Doing the sprite quest and talking to the Old Thrak will get you to level 2 in about an hour.

Doing only picking to get experience from the start is, IMO, not viable. There just aren't enough customers, even in the Landing, to support more than a couple of pure locksmiths; this is even more true when you are inexperienced and barely able to open kobold boxes. Luckily, even if you construct a rogue designed to maximize locksmith skills, you can squeeze in some combat skills as well.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/19/2014 02:01 PM CDT
Oh, and yes, multi-accounting is legal. Another way to pass boxes on is to have everyone join Voln; I pass boxes (and items) between characters by using the cabinet in the white door room in the landing monastery. Another alternative is to find a deserted room and locate your two characters there. Drop the box, then log in your locksmith without logging the first one out. Your first character goes poof and your locksmith will appear almost immediately, 99% of the time before the evil janitor has a chance to grab the boxes. Not 100% fail safe, but close.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/19/2014 06:01 PM CDT
First off thank you for all the responses it's given me a lot to think about.

In playing this giantman a bit I have to say I don't even remotely like crossbow hunting. I'm remembering more of the pain making bolts was and I of course my current picking atm is basically non-existent. I'm teetering between keeping him and deleting and redoing. I feel in what has been said that I'd probably be better suited to restart as the half Kov, Elf or Gnome. My other main char I hunt using polearms, I like the damage, but realize the roundtime can end me a bit too easily now and then. The Kov woul be nice for capacity in this case but the laughable idea of a polearming gnomish picker appeals (could RP that he gave up hunting in favor of picking for variety or reasons) however I'm thinking any weapon other than bows would work atm.

If I do restart a rouge I'm not sure what to aim at statwise or racewise and I feel I only know a small portion of the ins and outs I've tried to read a good chunk of the posts in this part but still feel a little lost. I'd also want to move him to my city of choice (Solhaven asap perhaps before even doing any city quests) my eight year hiatus makes me wonder if this would be the better choice especially in light of all I've forgotten or never even know. It does feel a bit like I'm just asking you all to just tell me what I should do rather than find out myself. I'm not sure how much I can fix with skill-fix though. I'd imagine only skills and maybe stats can be changed and race/profession are not an option (for a lot of good reasons I suspect)

If getting back up to 12 especially using a hunting /picking style I actually like is really so fast. I feel like my biggest hurtle is knowing what stats/race to start with and what skills to get when and the ultimate end goals. I recently tried to work tsorins excell chart with no real success. I realize I could just be making a picker to open only my own boxes especially as an alt to my main character but I would like to make him the best picker possible even if it means he's lacking in other areas or has a slow progression in his leveling.

Once again I know it is asking a lot but I'm hoping in clarifying what my goals are with this character it will help me bite the bullet and begin again and know how or settle for the gaintman and his slight disadvantage. In typing this I'm leaning towards beginning fresh but I just worry about screwing it up from lack of knowledge.

-(hopes his wall of text makes sense)
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/19/2014 10:47 PM CDT
<<the laughable idea of a polearming gnomish picker appeals>>

I would definitely wait until you have a better grasp of what you're doing before tackling this. Between the poor strength of both gnomish races and the inability to ambush from hiding with any of the really good polearms, it would definitely be a challenge... and I'm not sure there would be anyone that has firsthand knowledge of such a build to help you out.

I know you said you don't like crossbows, but if you want to stick with ranged this is a good guide for bows: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_the_Bow_(guide)

<<Once again I know it is asking a lot but I'm hoping in clarifying what my goals are with this character it will help me bite the bullet and begin again and know how or settle for the gaintman and his slight disadvantage.>>

Here are the questions you need to answer before anyone can give you more then general advice:

-what weapon would you like to use? (the most common choices are bows, OHE/shield, and two weapon combat with an OHE in each hand)
-do you intend on hunting more, picking more, or doing an even mix of both (this choice needn't be written in stone)
-what race do you want to be (all of the elvish races, gnomes, and humans tend to make the best rogues, though any can be made to work well)

Keep in mind that there's usually a reason certain races and weapon styles are more common then others. You can make any combination work, but playing a polearm wielding halfling rogue is a LOT more difficult then a TWC dark elf rogue.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/20/2014 12:08 AM CDT
Very few archers are fond of crossbows; they are awkward to use. Most crossbow users carry 1-2 more in their backpack already cocked, to save time during combat.

Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/20/2014 12:41 AM CDT
I've been looking at my giants stats here and he's already nearly maxed on Agility and Dexterity while Wisdom and Aura seem to lag. I realize he'd have a small penalty but I tend to train really slowly. As for other options I've always liked the idea of katars (or punch blades) however with rouges I'm guessing open combat gets tight on TPs and that you cannot max armor too much if you are going the hide and ambush route. If I end up tippling picking and doing every needful thing for picking asap I'm guessing the best option might be deactivating the giant crossbowman in favor of a fresh start with a new character. I'm guessing the bonuses make gnomes or elves-type the best option with humans and other races as viable just not quite as good off the bat. If I pick this choice I'll need to figure out how to setup the stats and when to get what but it may also serve as a good refresher/learning course on what to do and why. I also know that with skill migration it isn't set in stone either.

I suspect that at the moment any thrown or ranged weapons would not help and poling in the open would require too much TPs for dodge, armor and physical fitness in addition to all the picking perception and lore. I'm also guessing that I'd get quite tired of sitting around town waiting on boxes or trying to feed boxes to him. I'm leaning toward a half-kov atm just because of the ability to carry more and do more damage and losing the slight penalty giants have to dex. As far as weapons I'm open to suggestions keeping in mind I'll want something TP light to accomplish the main picking/lores/spells goals involved in picking.

I feel like I'm talking myself in circles here. I suppose what I really need is a better idea of what to get when and why. I've been playing with goal on my giant rouge and in order to max out a pick as best as possible it seems like I'm having to convert loads of TPs from one to the other. playing with the numbers I can see why edged is favored. At this early level if I get to 404 max disarm, pick, and perception. I'm left with 442 physical points to try and make a useful hunter out of. and I've not even tried to throw any lores at the build yet.

I can see why the suggestion to skill fix when hitting 50sh pops up. I'm going to read more of this section for ideas. As a side question for brawling do you need two weapon combat or is it even wise?

The bar goes silent. Someone in the back calls out "That has got to be the worst song ANYONE has ever heard!"

You are awarded -100 experience.
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/20/2014 01:03 AM CDT
There's another combat form, which I have rather taken a liking to. Unarmed combat was developed for monk profession; unfortunately, they suck at it. Ambushing rogues, on the other hand, are terrors using it. This is my intermediate rogue (mixed combat and picking; she can pick her own boxes quite easily).

>>HJR>stance offen
> punch troll head
You are now in an offensive stance.
HJ>
You leap from hiding to strike!
You make a precise attempt to punch a stone troll!
Your attack is hindered by holding a glistening sea-blue buckler!
You have excellent positioning against a stone troll.
UAF: 339 vs UDF: 207 = 1.637 * MM: 100 + d100: 63 = 226
... and hit for 57 points of damage!
Furious fast fist forces fibula fracture! Foot flies free, falling forward five feet forth!
The stone troll is stunned!
Roundtime: 4 sec.
JR>
A stone troll's flesh wounds regenerate very quickly.
A stone troll's right arm regenerates and looks fully healed.

A stone troll flails his arms about angrily, shaking off the stun!
A stone troll swings a war hammer at you!
>stance defen
By amazing chance, you evade the attack!
J> hide
You are now in a defensive stance.
J>
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HJR>stance offen
> punch troll head
You are now in an offensive stance.
HJ>
You leap from hiding to strike!
You make a precise attempt to punch a stone troll!
Your attack is hindered by holding a glistening sea-blue buckler!
You have excellent positioning against a stone troll.
UAF: 339 vs UDF: 197 = 1.720 * MM: 105 + d100: 54 = 234
... and hit for 73 points of damage!
Explosive punch to the face leaves little else than a pulpy mass of blood, bone, and brain matter!
The stone troll shudders violently for a moment, then goes still.
The air about a stone troll stops shimmering.
Roundtime: 4 sec.<<

Skill set: she's slowly working her way to self cast lores; she'd have 403 already, but she decided she wanted a bit of extra spell warding first. Note also that we now have skills related to armor and shield training, as well as Combat maneuvers.

>>skill
Guennwhfar (at level 53), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 150 50
Shield Use.........................| 174 74
Combat Maneuvers...................| 177 77
Brawling...........................| 216 116
Ambush.............................| 210 110
Physical Fitness...................| 168 68
Dodging............................| 218 118
Arcane Symbols.....................| 70 15
Magic Item Use.....................| 70 15
Harness Power......................| 5 1
Disarming Traps....................| 210 110
Picking Locks......................| 210 110
Stalking and Hiding................| 232 132
Perception.........................| 210 110
Climbing...........................| 120 30
Swimming...........................| 90 20

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 2

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 1
Training Points: 3 Phy 3 Men

J>cman info
J>
Guennwhfar, your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Shadow Mastery smastery 5
Surge of Strength surge 1
Divert divert 3
Vanish vanish 3
Punch Mastery punchmastery 2

J>armor info
Guennwhfar, your Armor Specialization training is as follows:

Armored Evasion evasion 2

Guennwhfar, your Shield Specialization training is as follows:

Small Shield Focus sfocus 3
Shielded Brawler brawler 2
Deflection Training dtraining 1
Deflect the Elements deflect 3

Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/20/2014 01:59 AM CDT
>>As a side question for brawling do you need two weapon combat or is it even wise?<<

TWC doesn't allow you to attack twice with your fists. It does, however, add to your DS should you opt not to use a shield. UAC is more effective with both hands open; sometimes I work it that way. TWC would add somewhat to my DS since it would allow the offhand to be used to parry. You can also ambush with actual brawling class weapons, in which case you do get a second attack if you train in TWC. Sais are pretty effective against scale and chain armors.

Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/20/2014 10:54 AM CDT
<I suspect that at the moment any thrown or ranged weapons would not help>

Thrown is pretty much broken and in need of an overhaul... but ranged is actually easier to be good at with a heavy focus on picking then other combat styles since Perception is important for both.

For comparison to the other training plan that was posted, this is mine (perception, picking locks, disarming traps, and S&H were all 3x til I decided to pick up 4 ranks in the elemental circle, except for perception, I'm currently working on getting them back to 3x):

Starchitin (at level 73), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 130 35
Combat Maneuvers...................| 174 74
Ranged Weapons.....................| 248 148
Ambush.............................| 248 148
Physical Fitness...................| 174 74
Dodging............................| 248 148
Arcane Symbols.....................| 50 10
Disarming Traps....................| 311 211
Picking Locks......................| 311 211
Stalking and Hiding................| 313 213
Perception.........................| 307 207
Climbing...........................| 140 40
Swimming...........................| 78 17
Pickpocketing......................| 240 140

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 4

My TPs have always been tight, but I could fix that a bit by getting rid of Pickpocketing.

<<and I've not even tried to throw any lores at the build yet.>>

Lores will be a post-cap goal IF you ever get them.... and you'll need to get a spell or spells that take advantage of them first. If you want to be the best locksmith possible, you simply won't have the TPs to get that many spells before cap no matter what your build.

Starchitin

Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/21/2014 01:06 PM CDT
As an update I decided to skill migrate my giant aiming to to be an ambushing puncher. This will at least give me and idea how to use this. I do have to say I'm liking it so far. This is what I'm aiming for.
1x armor
1.5x shield
1.5x CM
2x brawl
2x stalk n' hide
1.25x physical
2x dodge
2x disarm
2x pick
2x perception
1 rank harness power

Other skills mimicking what you put up to hit around 53
current
10 ranks climb --> aiming for the 30
1 magic item --> aiming for 15
0 ranks swim --> aiming for 20
I can't read my own handwriting on this one >.< 0 ranks --> aiming for 15

Some skills were automatic some slower I've migrated about 24 points so far
I have 14 ranks of pick and 19 of disarm 0 of shield
I've gotten several boxes maybe around 10-12 from kobolds and mono kobolds (don't kiss these guys btw) and picked all but three of them. The only "trap" discovered so far was a steel plate, and I'm guessing the acid vials come from other chests. So I got the lock-picker to finish that one and two others that defeated good to great attempts with a 16kish lock-pick. I was reading up on traps etc and I'm guessing the rogue guild helps teach the lm skill. In trying dir rogue guild in Solhaven had no result and looking over the map I have I could not locate one in town.

The bar goes silent. Someone in the back calls out "That has got to be the worst song ANYONE has ever heard!"

Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/21/2014 03:24 PM CDT
You didn't list ambush training; was that just an oversight, or do you not plan to learn this skill?

Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/21/2014 03:35 PM CDT
Rogues are secretive types; the Guilds are hidden, so DIR command is unlikely to work. Ask around (using guildspeak) for directions; an older rogue can probably help you find it. However, at 12 trains I don't think you can get inside without getting mugged and dumped in an alley by the door guards; you won't get an invitation to join until level 15.

Lockmastery is a long road to tread. You will eventually learn how to get acid vials and make wedges for those plated boxes; for now, try to get a magic user to pop them or a warrior to bash them open. If you use the local NPC locksmith you will usually lose money on the deal.

Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/21/2014 06:14 PM CDT
<You will eventually learn how to get acid vials and make wedges for those plated boxes; for now, try to get a magic user to pop them or a warrior to bash them open>

Or ask a smith that's trained in Lock Mastery if they have extra vials they can spare.... most of us usually do.

Starchitin

Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/27/2014 08:05 PM CDT
As an update I'm still migrating points, gotten a better idea what to hunt, I'm currently ambushing something 2 levels above me and picking the chests they drop. I picked up a mithril jackblade and it seems to add in some extra damage/stunning power.
As for picking I Just beat a person best by picking a -220 chest.
have no LM as of yet. Disarmed all my traps thus far (save that plate one) and haven't bent or broken a pick in some time. For past experience I take it you want to use a pick that will give you the best Xp. I'm thinking LM gives you an idea what to use.

Giant Rogue(at level 13), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 105 25
Shield Use.........................| 66 14
Combat Maneuvers...................| 0 0
Ranged Weapons.....................| 102 24
Brawling...........................| 114 28
Ambush.............................| 114 28
Physical Fitness...................| 70 15
Dodging............................| 114 28
Magic Item Use.....................| 0 0
Harness Power......................| 0 0
Disarming Traps....................| 120 30
Picking Locks......................| 120 30
Stalking and Hiding................| 132 36
Perception.........................| 132 36
Climbing...........................| 50 10
Training Points: 0 Phy 40 Mnt (70 Mnt converted to Phy)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

235 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2015.

You started this migration period on Sunday, 9/21/2014 at 03:23:03 EDT. You have 23 days, 6 hours, 28 minutes remaining in your current 30 day migration period.

You're currently migrating at a rate of .002 skill points per pulse, and have converted 75.192 training points this migration period.

as you can see it balanced picking/disarming 1st still working on the shield and then I figure CM will start ranged is being very slow on the migrating but hitting level 13 gave me 6-7 ranks of shield I think at once.

Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/27/2014 10:31 PM CDT
>> I'm thinking LM gives you an idea what to use.<<

LM lets you use calipers, after a while that is, which gives you an idea of lock size. Unfortunately, your readings will often be wildly inaccurate until you get some more ranks under your belt, and have your calipers attuned to your personal use. It's a slow go, but then all the guild skills are. Every time you gain a rank in a skill, the next rank takes even more points to achieve. I am amazed that anyone ever gets the rank of guildmaster before cap :P

Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/28/2014 05:27 AM CDT
>I am amazed that anyone ever gets the rank of guildmaster before cap :P

The wall is a function of level. The closer to the wall you push your training the more points you'll pay per rank. Guildmaster before level 50 is quite easy if you pick an easy skill to master in and master it by the time you have 125 ranks total.

If I remember right, its early 30s for guildmaster and somewhere in the 70s for finishing the guild if you stay at the wall.

>Unfortunately, your readings will often be wildly inaccurate until you get some more ranks under your belt, and have your calipers attuned to your personal use.

You can use multiple readings, along with a knowledge of the inaccuracy, to narrow it down. I always got caliper reps because I knew when to stop measuring and open the box rather opening on a guess that the caliper reading was close enough. At mastery, if I really want to spend the time to know, I can work out the exact size of a lock (not just the exact range that the bardsong gets) by the way the inaccuracy in range measurement behaves as they gradually go out of tune.
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/28/2014 06:44 PM CDT
>>The wall is a function of level. The closer to the wall you push your training the more points you'll pay per rank.<<

Could you explain further? Not quite sure what you mean by "the wall".

>>Guildmaster before level 50 is quite easy if you pick an easy skill to master in and master it by the time you have 125 ranks total.<<

I am trying to train in all skills; some are just easier than others. I have more ranks in stun manuevers, since I have one of those self-stunning weapons. So, I have 48 ranks in that and around 30 ranks in all the others.

>>You can use multiple readings, along with a knowledge of the inaccuracy, to narrow it down. I always got caliper reps because I knew when to stop measuring and open the box rather opening on a guess that the caliper reading was close enough<<

Ah; are you saying that it's advisable to take multiple readings and then sort of take an average? Not for footpad reps but for field calibration reps.

Oh, and please ... it's rogue, not rouge, unless you have a cosmetic fetish.
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/28/2014 09:45 PM CDT
>>The wall is a function of level. The closer to the wall you push your training the more points you'll pay per rank.<<

>> Could you explain further? Not quite sure what you mean by "the wall". <<

There is a limit on the maximum guild ranks you can have (based on your experience). The closer you are to the limit, the more training points you will need per rank. Check out Midgar's site (http://home.comcast.net/~cabri/rogueguild.htm) for more info.
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/29/2014 12:20 AM CDT
>>There is a limit on the maximum guild ranks you can have (based on your experience). <<

Ah! OK, this fact I knew; just never heard it referred to using that term. Thanks.

>>The closer you are to the limit, the more training points you will need per rank.<<

So if I took some time off from doing guild work, and grabbed, say, 5 more Rogue levels, it would cost me less points per rank. Interesting.

The Bells of Hell
go ding-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/29/2014 12:22 AM CDT
Oh, and that link to Midgar's site doesn't work.

Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/29/2014 12:47 AM CDT
I have 162 Guild skill ranks out of a possible 259. That doesn't seem very close to "the wall". Still taking lots of points to get a rank though.

All in all, you're just
another brick in the Wall.
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/29/2014 06:29 AM CDT
>I have 162 Guild skill ranks out of a possible 259. That doesn't seem very close to "the wall". Still taking lots of points to get a rank though.

At the wall it costs 125 on most if not all rogue guild skills. Other guilds have skills with different points per rank.

You'll pay 125 if you are sufficiently close. I forget just how close but you have to have some space before you start seeing a discount. I think its half that if you have no guild skills at all (but are at least level 20) and varies in some way in between.

>So if I took some time off from doing guild work, and grabbed, say, 5 more Rogue levels, it would cost me less points per rank. Interesting.

Yes. Not a huge variation, and check you aren't going to run out of rep targets if you are planning to do that. I pretty much stopped guild work during my time on Teras because there was nothing I could rep off once I got too high level for kiramon.
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/29/2014 08:26 AM CDT
>> check you aren't going to run out of rep targets if you are planning to do that.<<

Ugh! Yes, I am already having trouble with subdue reps. Stone critters are immune, undead are immune ... I end up going back to Kiramon, finding a Defender, and tormenting it until I get my subdue and cheap shot reps. In a few levels I won't be able to use them for reps any more.

Remind me again why we have a guild skill that is high in stamina cost, and almost useless later on in the game.

"For the female of the species
is more deadly than the male."
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 09/29/2014 08:49 AM CDT
>Remind me again why we have a guild skill that is high in stamina cost, and almost useless later on in the game.

Its good against humanoids, who are pretty common in storylines and their temporary grounds. When Idolone finally fights off the Krolvin or is finally looted into the ground by them, I'll have trouble getting creature reps.

Its rather like bearhug on a warrior (and a lot of the cheapshots). You aren't going to use it much for hunting, but it can make a good tool in RP conflict and its a way of helping out lower level characters without actually damaging the critter much yourself.
Re: Fixing up a picking rouge 10/09/2014 05:28 AM CDT
>Oh, and yes, multi-accounting is legal. Another way to pass boxes on is to have everyone join Voln; I pass boxes (and items) between characters by using the cabinet in the white door room in the landing monastery. Another alternative is to find a deserted room and locate your two characters there. Drop the box, then log in your locksmith without logging the first one out. Your first character goes poof and your locksmith will appear almost immediately, 99% of the time before the evil janitor has a chance to grab the boxes. Not 100% fail safe, but close.

Fairly belated post but, there's usually some places you can find.

In WL there's like a bench or something in Hearthstone. At level 12 you're not quite able to get in but that doesn't take too long.

Sanctuary altar in River's Rest.

Both of those can easily hold most of whatever they already have, plus a backpack full of boxes. There's of course the chance that other characters take your stuff but mostly that's been minimal in my experience.

Honestly, if you really go hunting around, you can probably find a good swapping point somewhere. There's a small capacity one on FWI I use for pure potions, black crystals, etc, which I buy off the shelf in other cities. Bonus points if you know where it is.

I pick alt boxes all the time...though I have zero rogues.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."