Level 19 Check-in 03/24/2017 07:14 PM CDT
Wanted to get a check in before I hit level 20 and everything becomes permanent. Race is Sylvan, hunting style has been almost exclusively sniping, with a little open shooting here and there, supplemented by the odd spell. My first dip into tertiary skills is SMC, as I figured if I can get the 24 ranks done, I never have to think about it again. My only concern (if it is one), is that I'm converting a TON of PTP to MTP, which is not something I've had to do with my paladin, so it just feels off.

Obviously, input is welcome.

Skill Name Current Bonus Current Ranks
Armor Use 120 30
Ranged Weapons 142 42
Ambush 93 21
Physical Fitness 105 25
Dodging 93 21
Harness Power 90 20
Spirit Mana Control 20 4
Survival 93 21
Stalking and Hiding 142 42
Perception 142 42
Climbing 50 10
Swimming 25 5
First Aid 93 21
Minor Spiritual 3
Ranger 18

Stat Normal (Bonus) Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR) 94 (22) 94 (22)
Constitution (CON) 66 (8) 66 (8)
Dexterity (DEX) 89 (29) 89 (29)
Agility (AGI) 74 (17) 74 (17)
Discipline (DIS) 74 (7) 74 (7)
Aura (AUR) 75 (17) 75 (17)
Logic (LOG) 88 (19) 88 (19)
Intuition (INT) 86 (18) 86 (18)
Wisdom (WIS) 54 (2) 54 (2)
Influence (INF) 32 (-9) 32 (-9)

Re: Level 19 Check-in 03/24/2017 11:19 PM CDT
<My first dip into tertiary skills is SMC, as I figured if I can get the 24 ranks done, I never have to think about it again.>

You might as well go ahead and get 25 ranks in SMC to get access to MANA SPELLUP once a day. If nothing else, it comes in handy after dying.

<My only concern (if it is one), is that I'm converting a TON of PTP to MTP, which is not something I've had to do with my paladin, so it just feels off.>

MOST characters convert training points one way or the other, usually a lot. It might seem a bit disconcerting, but it's nothing to worry about.

You shouldn't have too many troubles with your training, Rangers are pretty hard to make unplayable compared to some other professions. Though, the lack of any training in Combat Maneuvers will hurt you when you start hunting critters that use them. No matter how good you get at sniping, you'll always fall out of hiding occasionally.

Lastly, there really isn't a whole lot to be gained from 1x in both FA and Survival if you only have them for skinning (both of which I would consider to be more tertiary skills then SMC is). As long as you're casting 604 when you skin, you shouldn't notice much of a drop in skin value if you only have one or the other, so if you need TPs for anything else, this is where I'd get them.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Level 19 Check-in 03/25/2017 08:28 AM CDT

Besides skins survival are in a few environmental checks especially as you progress in game. At least keep that 1x imho.
Re: Level 19 Check-in 03/25/2017 04:45 PM CDT
Looks pretty good to me, except I'd drop First Aid and Survival to .5x each and use those points for CMAN...trust me, you'll be glad you did.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/
Re: Level 19 Check-in 03/25/2017 07:55 PM CDT
That gives me 6 ranks of CMAN, what do you suggest I use them on? I know multi-fire is completely terrible and useless. Cunning Defense (if I'm just taking it for combat maneuver defense)?
Re: Level 19 Check-in 03/25/2017 11:31 PM CDT
If you eventually get enough ranks to master it, Shadow Mastery will knock your sneak RT down to 1 sec when it's active and 2 sec when it's not.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Level 19 Check-in 03/26/2017 05:00 AM CDT
I now use Shadow Mastery, but my initial CMan was sweep, I found it invaluable in the bowels (but I didn't snipe until post-cap.) For right now your CMan training will primarily be for defense against critter CMans, so you could do whatever you like (and yes, MFire is horrid, in my opinion).

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/
Re: Level 19 Check-in 03/26/2017 02:24 PM CDT
<(and yes, MFire is horrid, in my opinion)>

I'd say it's more of a fact except I just know there'd be some loon that posts trying to convince everyone it has uses.

Starchitin

Re: Level 19 Check-in 03/26/2017 02:28 PM CDT
The only time I ever used it was in mass combat when I'm just trying to tag things. Besides that, maybe it's not useless vs incorp? But even then just firing normal is faster.

Daemon Ranger
Re: Level 19 Check-in 03/26/2017 10:46 PM CDT
I've got 4 ranks for smastery right now and it helps. I'm thinking of changing over to subdual strike though. That's the maneuver that kicks my rangers butt doing bandit bounties.
Re: Level 19 Check-in 03/27/2017 01:10 PM CDT

I trained mfire to test with bandit bounties. If I was 'ranged' only. I would consider it for working with group hunting just to tag them. But it really is a bad use of cman training points in my opinion.

Aurach