Fixin' to Fix my Skills; Seeking help with formulas and to learn from others experiences 03/10/2017 05:30 PM CST
My ranger used to be 2x brawl 2x ranged. Basically he was a Voln Fu holdover. I like that build because there's nothing he can't kill and no bounty he can't do. I got jealous of my archer rogue friends bragging about how they just cruise through GSIV eyeshooting everything from hiding and I fixskilled to try out sniper. It works great for what it does and maybe if I were switching to Sunfist I'd keep it...but all in all I'm not too happy. I've really enjoyed the "well roundedness" of the Voln Fu build and feel like this character is too fragile and too specialized for now.

The problem has been maneuver rolls. Bandits, Ilioke Shaman + to a lesser extent mystics are beating the H out of this character. Lots of bleeders and long stuns. Lots of interrupted hunts to eat herbs. Lots of deaths (even with a full Dreavening spell up) BTW: He's wearing 4x brigandine right now and I may bust out the Pay Pal to get him some uber armor but for now he'll be in 4x brig.

My recollection is that when he was 2x brawl and 2x ranged he was just a "tougher" character in general. To make a long story short I'm going to build him back up by first 2x brawl. Then I'll probably add back the 2x ranged but I want to experiment with UAC only and any advice from UAC rangers or if they can share their experience I'm interested.

This is what it would look like if I went straight to the 2x range 2x brawl build right now. Should leave 300+ TP's. Some choices I have to make are 1 TWC or 1+.5x TWC; Dodge at 1x or as much as possible; forget ranged all together, and put extra tp's into cmans, armor, dodge or even lores.

Is there a formula for Defense against cmans, SMR's or the Boil Earth type spells?

This is what it would look like if I went straight to the 2x range 2x brawl build right now. Should leave 300+ TP's.
armor30
ranged122
brawl122
twc30
CMan9
MOC5
Ambush61
PF61
Dodge61
Climb20
Swim20
Stalk&H61
Perc122
AS10
MIU10
HP59
Spells60
MnS10
RNG50
PTP2681
MTP2812

Race: Dark Elf Profession: Ranger (shown as: Watcher)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 99 (24) ... 99 (24)
Constitution (CON): 81 (10) ... 79 (9)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (35) ... 100 (35)
Agility (AGI): 94 (27) ... 94 (27)
Discipline (DIS): 85 (7) ... 85 (7)
Aura (AUR): 82 (26) ... 82 (26)
Logic (LOG): 67 (8) ... 67 (8)
Intuition (INT): 99 (29) ... 99 (29)
Wisdom (WIS): 78 (19) ... 78 (19)
Influence (INF): 53 (-4) ... 53 (-4)
Mana: 179 Silver: 0
>skill
(at level 59), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 120 30
Physical Fitness...................| 161 61
Dodging............................| 161 61
Arcane Symbols.....................| 50 10
Magic Item Use.....................| 50 10
Harness Power......................| 159 59
Climbing...........................| 90 20
Swimming...........................| 90 20

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 7

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 50
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

Level: 59 Deeds: 9
Experience: 3419137 Death's Sting: None
Exp. until next: 43363 Recent Deaths: 3
Mental TPs: 1104 Fame: 8668527
Physical TPs: 2128 Mana: 179/179 max
Long-Term Exp: 0

Your mind is as clear as a bell.
Re: Fixin' to Fix my Skills; Seeking help with formulas and to learn from others experiences 03/11/2017 08:08 AM CST
From my experience, rangers can be great snipers, but are going to get hurt/die more then a rogue sniper because they don't have access to CMAN VANISH or ARMOR STEALTH. A successful sniper of either profession will also have to choose between prey that is maddening to hunt (undead and bandits) or so easy hunting can get boring quickly (pretty much anything living that isn't in chain or plate).

I've only used UAC as a monk in the open, but from what I've heard from those that ambush from hiding with it (mostly rogues) is that you'll find it much easier to kill critters in heavy armor. You'll still have to aim every attack and will likely want to use spells to keep critters occupied since you'll be coming out of hiding every time you attack, unlike snipers.

Whichever route you choose to go with, you're definitely going to want to get way more then 9 ranks in Combat Maneuvers. You should be at least .5x in the skill and 1x is preferable if you have the TPs to do it (even if there aren't any CMANs you want). The lack of it is def what is making you have trouble with bandits and is likely why you're getting hurt/killed with other critters as well. CM is a big factor in defending against any maneuver players can learn (more so if you have ranks in the maneuver being used against you), and is also one of the main skills that help against creature maneuvers after PF. If you ever choose to pick up a brawling weapon and use ATTACK/AMBUSH rather then UAC, it will also add to your AS.

As for armor, whether to go up to heavier armor or stay where you are depends on your survival strategy. Heavier armor will hurt hiding attempts, your chances of being SEARCHed out of hiding, and defense against maneuvers and some spells in addition to giving you higher spell hindrance. If critters have to make you stunned/prone/webbed/etc to hit you with an AS attack, you're prolly better off finding ways to avoid those status effects. If they can easily hit you in stance offensive or advanced, moving into chain armor may be worth it if you can stand the increased spell hindrance (I can barely tolerate the 6% in brig myself). I find that having a Tangle Weed (610) in the room and killing quickly to be the most effective defense against dying in all but the most swarmy conditions, but everyone has their own tactics.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Fixin' to Fix my Skills; Seeking help with formulas and to learn from others experiences 03/11/2017 09:06 AM CST
Ok, here is what I've settled on. I will play with it a while then and possibly migrate the perception down to 1x and bump up other areas. I'll run around with a bow and fist-scythe in hand for DS and can stow the easy.

(at level 59), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 122 31
Armor Use..........................| 120 30
Combat Maneuvers...................| 145 45
Brawling...........................| 222 122
Ambush.............................| 161 61
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 70 15
Physical Fitness...................| 161 61
Dodging............................| 161 61
Arcane Symbols.....................| 50 10
Magic Item Use.....................| 50 10
Harness Power......................| 159 59
Stalking and Hiding................| 222 122
Perception.........................| 222 122
Climbing...........................| 90 20
Swimming...........................| 90 20

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 10

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 50
Re: Fixin' to Fix my Skills; Seeking help with formulas and to learn from others experiences 03/11/2017 09:42 AM CST
Ok first hunt with the new build. I fat fingered it and here's how it went LOL.

[Darkstone, A Dark Tunnel]
Rough outcroppings of hardened clay protrude from the walls taking on a dark green incandescence, slowly shifting in intensity as you approach them. You feel a steady flow of air at your feet but its source is hidden in the darkness. You also see a massive troll king.
Obvious exits: east, west
Your tawny lion followed.
>hide
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>
The troll king sniffs the air.
The troll king searches around for a few moments but finds nothing.
H>aim left leg
You're now aiming at the left leg of your target when using a ranged weapon, or while ambushing.
H>stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
H>pun king
You leap from hiding to strike!
You make a precise attempt to punch a massive troll king!
You have decent positioning against a massive troll king.
UAF: 323 vs UDF: 310 = 1.041 * MM: 92 + d100: 80 = 175
... and hit for 27 points of damage!
Low punch bruises the inside of the troll king's left knee, but barely causes a limp.
The troll king starts to favor his wounded leg!
Strike leaves foe vulnerable to a followup grapple attack!
Roundtime: 4 sec.
R>hide
A massive troll king flesh wounds regenerate some.
The troll king's left leg regenerates and looks fully healed.

A massive troll king suddenly screams in rage and begins frothing at the mouth!

A massive troll king claws at you!
AS: +483 vs DS: +250 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +85 = +341
... and hits for 59 points of damage!
Well placed strike to back shatters vertebrae!
You are knocked to the ground!
You are stunned for 5 rounds!
SP>
You are still stunned.
SP>
A tawny lion slashes her claws at a massive troll king, but they pass through nothing but air.
SP>
The troll king no longer favors his leg.
SP>

AS: +479 vs DS: +192 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +25 = +335
... and hits for 53 points of damage!
Quick, powerful slash to your right knee!
!SP>
A tawny lion charges forward and slashes her claws at a massive troll king faster than he can react!
... 10 points of damage!
Smooth slash to the troll king's hip!
Nice crunching sound.
!SP>sym return
You are still stunned.
!SP>hide
You are still stunned.
!SP>
The troll king's abdomen regenerates and looks fully healed.

The thorny barrier surrounding you blocks the attack from the troll king!
!SP>
A tawny lion charges forward and slashes her claws at a massive troll king faster than he can react!
... 25 points of damage!
Deep slash to the troll king's left forearm!
!P>hide
Your injuries hinder your attempt to hide.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
!PHR>stance def
You are now in a defensive stance.
!PH>
A tawny lion slashes her claws at a massive troll king, but they pass through nothing but air.
!PH>;go2 town
--- Lich: go2 active.
[go2: ETA: 0:00:17 (90 rooms to move through)]
[go2]>stand
You come out of hiding.
You stand back up.
!R>
[go2]>west
!>
The troll king's left arm regenerates and looks much better.

AS: +495 vs DS: +358 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +32 = +192
... and hits for 20 points of damage!
Bones in left arm crack.
You seem to lose the thorny barrier that surrounds you.
You no longer feel so dextrous.
You are no longer moving silently.
You feel the aura of confidence leave you.
You feel the inner strength leave you.
The air about you stops shimmering.
You return to normal color.
The deep blue glow leaves you.
The powerful look leaves you.
The light blue glow leaves you.
You feel the gathering of nature's power leave you.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

...departing in 10 mins...
A massive troll king screams in triumph!
DEAD>
Re: Fixin' to Fix my Skills; Seeking help with formulas and to learn from others experiences 03/11/2017 09:52 AM CST
I've never hunted troll kings myself so I don't know how fast they are, but a 4 sec roundtime should leave you plenty of time to get back into the shadows before all but the fastest critters can react if your timing is good. If it's too tall for you to go straight for the head (most trolls are), using 610 to get it on the ground will allow you do that as well.... though you may be better off focusing on the chest/back if the wiki is accurate.

Since they're able to ignore death crits, they're prolly not an ideal foe for either UAC or ranged... so you'll need to find a way to keep them stunned, locked in RT, and/or prone while you kill them by attrition and work on your timing to ensure you're in the shadows when they do have an opportunity to attack.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Fixin' to Fix my Skills; Seeking help with formulas and to learn from others experiences 03/11/2017 10:02 AM CST
They're not too fast and have always been good to uphunt for me because they have lousy perception (even as 2x range, 2x brawl and 1x stalking and hiding). I definitely need to time it right and get back into hiding though which I totally flubbed on this one. Picked up 4 ranks of smastery which will help and be fun to play with too.

Thought this was funny so I figured I'd post it.
Re: Fixin' to Fix my Skills; Seeking help with formulas and to learn from others experiences 03/26/2017 11:51 PM CDT

...troll kings, tier up with jabs from open, then hide, then punch head. You will find it efficient and won't have limbs crawling around. Just mind the frothing ones that can spike AS to over 500.