Armor for an Archer 04/13/2015 05:34 AM CDT
What's the best armor for an archer-ranger? I'm interested in hearing varying opinions on armor training for rangers specializing in ranged weapons. Pros/cons would be much appreciated. Thanks!

~ GtG
Re: Armor for an Archer 04/13/2015 09:03 AM CDT
The standard you want to shoot for is brig. You can, if you choose to, do fine in brig for the rest of your ranger's life. When you make some money, get some crit padded brig. For now, just put heavy damage padding from the adventurer's guild on it.

When your ranger gets to higher levels are you become a more experienced player, you should get a feel for whether or not you want to continue wearing increasingly heavier armor. Some stay in brig for life, some shoot for hauberk (usually happens near cap), a handful wear doubles.

Read up here for your pros and cons:

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor
https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_Use

~Brian, Sepher's player

(Kaldonis does not like Sepher and thinks he is wasting time.)
Re: Armor for an Archer 04/13/2015 09:12 AM CDT
The choice for me comes down to whether or not you are going to make real use of 620. If your armor is too heavily padded for you to put 620 on it yourself you are probably better off in double or augmented chain. If hiding penalties were ever added for heavier armors that might change but right now the only real reason to stay in brig as a ranger is for 620.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Brinret says, "Bring it on."
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes Brinret!
... 16428101 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces Brinret to a smoldering pile of ash!
Re: Armor for an Archer 04/13/2015 09:16 AM CDT
I think armor usage for rangers is dependent on your personal preference and also your hunting style. I've run the gamut with Radeek...doubles, brig, and now hauberk and perhaps one day even plate. If you are an open archer and don't use spells a lot for set-up or finishing then the heavier armors would be best in my opinion. If you are a sniper or use spells a lot then I'd stay in brig. Stalk and hide has some reliance on armor as far as being sniffed out of hiding and there is always the spell hindrance to consider with heavier armors. Radeek is mostly a physical archer, relying on his bow most of the time and spells only in a pinch so he's in HCP hauberk. He also snipes occasionally but his armor doesn't seem to hinder that much. He did quite well in brig for most of his life, wearing FGB.

What it boils down to is whether you are planning on being spell reliant or mostly physical. My hindrance in hauberk isn't that bad, but it does tend to rear it's ugly head at the most inopportune times.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Armor for an Archer 04/13/2015 12:37 PM CDT

One question for all of you and this is armor in general. Pup wears hauberk and is overtrain to the first tier. How much does the overtraining bonus really help?
Re: Armor for an Archer 04/13/2015 12:46 PM CDT
I think that aug chain is the sweet spot for rangers. Near full coverage with chain DF/AvD/CD/CvA and only 9% spell hindrance. 9% really isn't that bad; I'm an extremely spell-heavy build and I don't mind it a bit. The 11% from hauberk felt too harsh though.

One thing I like about aug chain is that the RT penalty is trained off at 50 ranks, which allows really nice, round thresholds for overtraining Armor Use. You'll get Action Penalty reductions at 100, 150 and 200 ranks, allowing you to minimize the action penalty down to that of cuirboulli leather.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: Armor for an Archer 04/13/2015 12:58 PM CDT
Overtraining armor use for action penalty reduction actually makes a big difference. In terms of maneuvers, each point of action penalty is worth 3 ranks of physical fitness, which is the primary maneuver defense skill. Action penalty also factors into many, many checks, including something as mundane as standing up.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: Armor for an Archer 04/13/2015 01:33 PM CDT
I'm with Droit on this...I had forgotten that I actually wear augmented chain but carry my helm with me... just in case.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Armor for an Archer 04/15/2015 10:47 AM CDT
Crit divisor doesn't matter if you don't get hit!

___
SGM of Premium, Promotions and Events