650 Guide Basics 02/18/2015 02:00 PM CST
An old and amended post of mine from some time ago...

>You know...I still have yet to find a use for assume aspect which is a shame for a 50 spell slot. What do people use that spell for?

Let's go down the list.

Wolf:
Increase ranged AS; influence DEX, INT related rolls.

Jackal:
I never use it, though you can probably alternate this with Wolf/Hawk to keep your ranged AS up slightly.

Lion:
Increase melee AS; influence STR related combat factors such as RT, encumbrance, carrying capacity, dragging

Panther:
I use this sometimes if I want to make extra sure PCs don't see me. I wouldn't bother with this one for hunting, but it would certainly help if you needed a little extra to hide from something more reliably.

Owl:
Most useful aspect. +3 (depending on lore bonuses) instant spirit on the first use, +1 for each consecutive use within ten minutes of the first use. Increases CS and TD per your WIS and AUR bonus, which is pretty damn dramatic. Functionally, you can use it to negate the spirit loss caused by entering the rift. The automatic spirit regain helps a lot negating the wait for spirit return when wracking and using other CoL related powers.

Hawk:
Straight perception bonus. Pretty obvious use here. More Ranged AS (better for open archers than Jackal, which snipers might prefer).

Rat:
DS bonus per your AGI bonus. Influence AGI and DIS rolls (I think 614 uses DIS, and maybe 620, see spell docs), can alternate with Panther as both stats help against rolls to detect the ranger while hidden (AGI helps with the initial HIDE too, while AGI does not).

Porcupine:
On par with Owl. Adds to block percentage of 640 (you should use this before burgee/serpent/mantis 100% of situations now that 640 blocks all attack types that the other three can affect). Can be used to slightly increase experience pool and experience absorption (benefit is much more visible during RPAs and Gifts).

Boar:
I've never used it, but you could if you wanted to increase your carrying capacity, or regen some health quickly.

Serpent/Burgee/Mantis:
Obvious benefit. Use to best compliment the hunting strategy you use.

Yierka:
Very useful to lower the RT of eating herbs and foraging. Also makes foraging easier. Compliment with 603 and impress your friends.

Spider:
Use for particularly difficult climbs, like in the shortcut between Vaalor and Illistim.

Oh, and the feature shifting ability is fantastic for RP related stuff.

You can combine the feature shifting with the Eye Spy spell for fun and cool results.

Anyone should feel free to use this information to post a 650 Guide. I'm staying away from wiki editing.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: 650 Guide Basics 02/18/2015 02:13 PM CST
Wolf can also keep melee RT down some, if that is appropriate for your situation.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: 650 Guide Basics 02/18/2015 03:03 PM CST
Oh, and also, Lion can help (via the INF bonus) the selling percentage gain higher thresholds, but at least 3 rank in Trading are required for any bonuses to apply.

Whoever wrote the Trading article also made the connection, noting:

>Ranger spell Assume Aspect Lion aspect increases your INF bonus by 10, and is calculated into your Skill Boost, giving you nearly a 1% boost with no lore bonuses.

~Brian, Sepher's player, my kingdom for an edit button.
Re: 650 Guide Basics 02/18/2015 04:59 PM CST
Brian if you don't mind I'm going to borrow some of what you just posted about 650 and try to throw together a comprehensive Assume Aspect guide for us. Also if it comes out alright I'll probably link it off of your beginners guide if that is alright. I find 650 to be one of the most misunderstood spells in the game.

Also I never use the feature altering piece because one time I quite literally made a face and it stuck that way. Lost my unique feature and had to assist to get the whole mess sorted out. I'm sure the bug has been fixed for a long time but I've been gun shy ever since.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: 650 Guide Basics 02/18/2015 05:03 PM CST
>Brian if you don't mind I'm going to borrow some of what you just posted about 650 and try to throw together a comprehensive Assume Aspect guide for us. Also if it comes out alright I'll probably link it off of your beginners guide if that is alright. I find 650 to be one of the most misunderstood spells in the game.

Go for it. Don't mind at all.

>Also I never use the feature altering piece because one time I quite literally made a face and it stuck that way. Lost my unique feature and had to assist to get the whole mess sorted out. I'm sure the bug has been fixed for a long time but I've been gun shy ever since.

Heh. That happened to me twice; couple other rangers out there, too.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 02/20/2015 12:02 PM CST
Okay. Here's how the trading bonuses work. I just tested the formula (I was misunderstanding it before).

There is a minimum requirement of Trading ranks a player needs in order to see any bonus to from the Lion Aspect.

In order to potentially get (using the formula below) an X% discount, the character needs X+1 ranks in Trading. This means you need 3 ranks to garner a 2% discount, 4 ranks to garner a 3% discount, etc.

So, even if Lion can push the character's discount to another percentage point, it won't until the above requirement is met. This only matters for the first few ranks of Trading, so if the character has more than 5-6 ranks, this minimum training requirement becomes a non-issue.

In Sepher's case, he needed 4 ranks before Lion could apply its bonus.

I have extra lores to push my INF stat up by 30 pts (15 bonus), but w/o extra lores a characater will see an increase of 20 pts (10 bonus).

W/o Lion:
[tradingSkill(20) + infBonus(9)] / 12 = 2.42, truncate to 2%

W/ Lion:
[tradingSkill(20) + infBonus(9 +15)] / 12 = 3.66, truncate to 3%

I wouldn't necessarily write all this in the guide, but instead maybe just say a character might, depending on stats and training, need anywhere from 4-7 ranks of Trading before the bonus from Lion can apply.

For kicks and because I can, I'm gonna snag me 10 ranks of Trading for a cheap little 6% bonus in shops.

~Brian, Sepher's player, who has had to repost 3 times because he can't be bothered to proof read and there's no damn edit button. Super hate.
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 02/20/2015 12:33 PM CST
>I wouldn't necessarily write all this in the guide, but instead maybe just say a character might, depending on stats and training, need anywhere from 4-7 ranks of Trading before the bonus from Lion can apply.

Make that 2-8 ranks, to be perfectly precise.

With max Dark Elf INF bonus (35) + max enhancement from Lion (+18) and 7 ranks of Trading, a ranger can make 7%, so that person would need 8 ranks to get the full bonus.

This would also be the case if the person has the max possible enhanced bonus to their INF bonus.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 02/20/2015 12:43 PM CST
Did you mean a max Elf or Erithian bonus? Dark elves have a -5 Influence modifier.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 02/20/2015 01:18 PM CST
>Did you mean a max Elf or Erithian bonus?

Yes.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/11/2015 09:24 AM CDT
So, I have been gone roughly 10 years... I briefly returned after the new system was put in place and was helped out a bit... but now I am fully back into the game.

So, how are my stats looking? I prefer sword and board obviously... any advice would be very welcome.

Name: Meguas Castgrey Race: Human Profession: Ranger (shown as: Ranger)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 98 (29) ... 98 (29)
Constitution (CON): 73 (11) ... 73 (11)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (25) ... 100 (25)
Agility (AGI): 86 (18) ... 86 (18)
Discipline (DIS): 86 (18) ... 86 (18)
Aura (AUR): 81 (15) ... 81 (15)
Logic (LOG): 66 (13) ... 66 (13)
Intuition (INT): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Wisdom (WIS): 89 (19) ... 89 (19)
Influence (INF): 41 (-4) ... 41 (-4)

Meguas (at level 52), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 120 30
Shield Use.........................| 153 53
Combat Maneuvers...................| 153 53
Edged Weapons......................| 208 108
Ambush.............................| 153 53
Physical Fitness...................| 153 53
Dodging............................| 153 53
Arcane Symbols.....................| 78 17
Magic Item Use.....................| 58 12
Harness Power......................| 152 52
Spirit Mana Control................| 102 24
Survival...........................| 143 43
Stalking and Hiding................| 202 102
Perception.........................| 153 53
Climbing...........................| 105 25
Swimming...........................| 105 25
First Aid..........................| 151 51

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 12

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 40

It's good to be back. :)
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/11/2015 09:27 AM CDT
Welcome back! It's always wonderful to see old players return. I hope your time here is long, wonderful, and bountiful!

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/11/2015 09:35 AM CDT
Thanks, surprised I got re-hooked... I had originally come back to touch base with some folks... which I did then I canceled... but I couldn't resist the urge to return... now I went so far as to get a premium account and am saving for some armor padding.
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/11/2015 09:37 AM CDT
Welcome backs!

GM Scribes
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/11/2015 09:42 AM CDT
Welcome back! To me you look pretty good. I don't sword and board myself, so I'm no expert on it, but everything looks pretty good to me. As a matter of personal preference I like the heavier armors but brig is definitely do-able if that's your plan. The only thing I would do is get one more training in Spirit Mana Control, it will allow you to double cast your own defensive spells, saving you time, but that too is optional.

Anyway, it's always good to see a returner from old, as well as new faces. Welcome back!

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/11/2015 10:26 AM CDT
Welcome back. Training looks great. Your stats could use some work, but unless you buy a fixstat potion you'll likely have to wait a while on that.
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/11/2015 11:22 AM CDT
Is their a decent benefit to redoing my stats? And what should I aim for?
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/11/2015 03:27 PM CDT

I let others comment on the stats. My honest opinion there is you do not need to be perfect. My character stats are not perfect post cap. As forntraining my ranger is sword and board and pretty similar to yours. The only big difference is i collected lores instead arcane symbols and MIU. I stopped swim and clikb at .5x to free up points. You may want to look at armor for overtraining puposes and if you havent yet look into the society guardians of sunfist. Their powers work great with a swinging ambushing ranger.

All that said your build works great with out any changes. Have fun and welcome back.

Puptilian player
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/11/2015 04:14 PM CDT
>>Is their a decent benefit to redoing my stats? And what should I aim for?

The low logic, aura, and wisdom is what I think you'd want to aim at fixing. Your constitution is also low and that adds to your health pool as well as giving you a touch of phantom critical padding. Logic is how much experience you absorb, the other two stats are applied to your CS(wisdom) and TD(aura and wisdom). I wouldn't worry about them for right now unless you are itching to level as quickly as possible.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130518122455/http://home.mchsi.com/~cphillips73/StatCruncher/StatCruncher.html

That site is a great resource for figuring out your stats.

Pup is right that you don't need perfect stats but yours are far enough off that if you plan to play that character for a great length of time you'll want to tweak things. And if you tweak them may as well set yourself up the best way possible.
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/11/2015 11:53 PM CDT
Cool, appreciate the info. Do we ever get random stat changes or is the only way a potion? I looked on their site and it would be like 40 bucks... which is pretty insane.
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/14/2015 10:44 AM CDT
You can get a potion through the adv guild I think it requires a million bounty points though

You also see the Shilarra disk etched with the image of a Vathor
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/14/2015 12:40 PM CDT
>>Cool, appreciate the info. Do we ever get random stat changes or is the only way a potion? I looked on their site and it would be like 40 bucks... which is pretty insane.

As someone said 1 million bounty points. Can also be bought from people in game to the tune of 14 million silvers or so. You were also looking at the cost for a fixskills, a fixstat is about 4x the cost.
Re: 650 Guide Basics (Trading and Lion) 03/18/2015 12:07 PM CDT
For your training, you might want to get one extra SMC to bring yourself up to 25 ranks and unlock double incanting (more info here: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/INCANT_%28verb%29 ). It will make spelling yourself up go twice as fast. :)