Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5
GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/05/2015 02:27 PM CST
Per GM Scribes Announcement:

Hi, everyone.

I'd like to start a discussion about a cooperative ranger guide directed at inexperienced players.

First, I'd like to compile a list of quality material already in existence, and while there is a lot of good information out there, it seems to be pretty vastly spread out. There also seems to be a lack of existing ranger guides (I imagine a lot were lost as player owned websites discontinued hosting services), and those that can be found are old/too technical/too specific for a newbie guide. Perhaps some of you have some of the older ones tucked away in your long-lived GS directories, so please post them somewhere and give us a link in this discussion. Below is a small list of items I found with a quick cursory Google search.

Ransom's GSIII Ranger Guide:
http://www.tamcon.com/GS3/ranger1.html
Nuadjha's "The Art of the Bow":
http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?49785-quot-The-Art-of-the-Bow-quot-GSIV-Archery-Guide

Second, I'd like to talk about the organization of the guide. I'm not entirely sure how I envision the whole thing laid out, but we can (and will, I'm sure) make alterations to the general layout as the guide progresses. Some basic modules that comes to mind are:

-a conceptualized description of what a ranger is and how they can be reasonably expected to function
-a guide that follows the character creation process (e.g. choosing your race, stats, skills)
-a basic hunting guide using the skills a typical ranger may be expected to have (we should probably avoid suggestions like "fletch till you 15, then go hunt" or "use this script to level to X" as this should remain a guide showing newbies how to roll up and play a ranger.
-helpful links (preferably within the gswiki) to more specific guides and other useful information

I'm not sure if we should get overly technical about specific training options (such as crit/DF tables, etc), though we can certainly provide links to such things while stressing that a complete understanding of these topics is not necessary for success. We should stress a basic concept of what a ranger is while also focusing on character customization by suggesting that there are a wide range of options available for a ranger where training/playing styles are concerned. Players need not follow an ideal perfectly to have a viable character.

So, before getting into the meat of the guide, what suggestions or ideas would you like to see in such a guide? If you're a new player or a new ranger, what sorts of questions do/did you have about playing a ranger? Let us know.

I'm posting this here as to generate interest and to let people know that I created a "Ranger Guide" page on gswiki. This post is also saved on the discussion page of the ranger guide. If you wish to respond, please respond there so you can get credit for participation.

Main Guide Page: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ranger_Guide
Discussion: https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Talk:Ranger_Guide

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/05/2015 04:40 PM CST
Great idea Sepher and I will be happy to contribute. As we're all fond of saying, you really can't mess up a ranger, but I think it'd be great to put the collective ranger community's knowledge out there for new rangers.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/05/2015 04:53 PM CST
I like this idea too, although I'm not a fan of rolling up the "perfect" character. I've never looked at GS as being a "cookie-cutter" kind of game; besides, I play more for the people around me and those relationships I've made. I'd very much like to see something in this guide dealing with RP as well. Just my 2 cents worth.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/05/2015 05:05 PM CST
>I like this idea too, although I'm not a fan of rolling up the "perfect" character. I've never looked at GS as being a "cookie-cutter" kind of game -Radeek

I absolutely agree. Like I said, I want to put the basics in there, but stress that you can be your own ideal, for lack of a better term.

>I'd very much like to see something in this guide dealing with RP as well. -Radeek

I really like this idea. I have my own thoughts on the matter, but what sorts of things would you say about RP that would fit within the scope of such a guide? And would you be interested in writing this section of the guide? I can do it if you're not interested, but I'd rather this be a cooperative effort.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/05/2015 05:45 PM CST
<I really like this idea. I have my own thoughts on the matter, but what sorts of things would you say about RP that would fit within the scope of such a guide? And would you be interested in writing this section of the guide? I can do it if you're not interested, but I'd rather this be a cooperative effort.

I'll have to get back to you on that. I have some things coming up that may take some time.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/05/2015 11:09 PM CST
Brian,

I am glad you're taking the lead on this. I know Keith is also passionate about the game, as well. And Radeek, well, he's awesome. lol.

Here's my take on rangers. There's 3 general paths you can take with a ranger, being a semi class. And, as noted, you can't really mess it up. But, how you do things, how you train, and where you hunt, and what the expectations are, shift a bit depending on the path the player chooses.

Basically, to me, it's always been defined as spells known per level:

1) Spiritual/Druid/Heavy Magic (basically putting all extra TP's into spells or lores until certain thresholds are achieved).
2) Balanced, True Semi (1x spells per level)
3) Heavy Physical / Rogue-ish build. (roughly .75x-.8x, which is painful in the beginning, but less meaningful after 640/120 threshold reached)

So, Turinrond, for instance, is a heavy physical, light magic build. Kortirion, on the other hand, is a pure archer, and is more balanced in his training (true Semi). The tactics I used in training and hunting with the one are not the same as with the other.

Having said that, I do think there's some overlap. It's generally suggested to train up the 600 series first, and squeeze in the 100 series as able, once (and this is where opinions may vary) X spell is learned, but I'd say 107/640 is pretty solid before 50 trainings, then push towards 120/640 by 60 trainings.

It used to be that 630/120 by 50 was solid, but 640 is just too good of a spell to ignore, and changes things.

I think, also, it's very important to point out how relatively ineffective that hiding and sniping is in the beginning. Not only due to skill level, but also due to relative statistical growth which contribute to the reduction of AIM/AMBUSH RT's.

I point these things out, because those are the things that seem to me would be the most discouraging for a new player. I'm a ranger, "I want to hide in front of everything before I kill it, and kill from the shadows!" That's going to happen, dear newbie, but it will take some time.

My pure archer, right around 30 trainings, is finally able to decently hide, stalk and snipe around GOS warcamps and stay hidden and have some spells to control the swarms (yay, 610!) etc. But, he's not nearly as good as he will be, and he gets killed, too, pretty easily. I know that I'm pushing expectations for him.

I'm sharing this to suggest that a newbie guide needs to point out realistic expectations of success and reasonable thresholds for getting killed a lot. I'm pushing it with him, but there's plenty of areas he could go and do much better.

Last but not least, the terrain bonus is how I advanced Turinrond so quickly during GS3/GS4. I hunted him almost exclusively in outdoor, forested areas, to take advantage of the ranger hiding bonus in those areas. When you're min/maxing, every little bit helps. A guide should include the best hunting areas for a ranger for every 10 levels. I'd be happy to contribute, or we can discuss that in this thread.

It's late, I'm tired, and that's just off the top of my head. Love that you're doing this, I hope some of this makes sense.

~ Bill, Coyote.

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
~ Voltaire
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/05/2015 11:40 PM CST

As i see more and more rangers going to archery sometime this weekend i will add a post on a sword and board train i did with pup and add some reasons why i chose sunfist over voln or col for the build. If anything maybe someone can take the notes and add it to their contributions to the wiki.

Pup's player
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/06/2015 05:46 AM CST
>I point these things out, because those are the things that seem to me would be the most discouraging for a new player. I'm a ranger, "I want to hide in front of everything before I kill it, and kill from the shadows!" That's going to happen, dear newbie, but it will take some time.

This last character I started is a ranger that I took to level 20. At level 20, it hadn't happened yet, it wasn't just about to happen, but progress was starting to be noticeable. (mace/shield so rather more dependent on ambush than a star or falchion user, but ambush was the system I wanted to explore so I used the best weapon for it)

The other thing I'd add is how horribly tight mana is at those levels. Wizards before the last big boost they got to spell duration were in a similar situation, but otherwise I find rangers require twice as long as other classes waiting for mana for their buffs between hunts at this sort of level.
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/06/2015 08:57 AM CST
At level 20, as an archer ranger, I did not have trouble, that I remember, staying hidden and sniping, except against animals and undead. 2x hide, 1x ranger spells until 640.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/06/2015 11:14 AM CST
>Bill's post

You make some excellent points that it had not occurred to me to note. That's also part of the reason I wanted to get others' input; this game has been in development for something like 25 years, and while my brain knows the great majority of ranger-related stuff, I would likely forget I knew at least half of it.

>If anything maybe someone can take the notes and add it to their contributions to the wiki. -Pup

I'll definitely take your notes and make sure you get credit for it. I'll make sure Scribes knows who was involved, since I don't think it's very reasonable to expect everyone make major edits themselves to a cooperative project (that would be a disaster). Frankly, I'd prefer one person handle the overall editing, anyway (though from my experience on the forums, I'd trust Nuadjha/Turin/Radeek's editing hands).

>The other thing I'd add is how horribly tight mana is at those levels. Wizards before the last big boost they got to spell duration were in a similar situation, but otherwise I find rangers require twice as long as other classes waiting for mana for their buffs between hunts at this sort of level. -Rathboner

Good stuff.

>At level 20, as an archer ranger, I did not have trouble, that I remember, staying hidden and sniping, except against animals and undead. 2x hide, 1x ranger spells until 640. -Kithus

That last part is probably the question I get most about rangers. What order should I train spells? LoL. I am going to address the hell out of that. Like if there's only one question people could ask, that's always it. The other statement I'll get is essentially "can't you just do everything for me?" Sometimes i's pretty entertaining.

By the way, does someone who knows a lot about stats want to put together some info? How certain stats effect skills/hunting/etc? Maybe throw together a few examples and say why they're set up that way? Kithus -- are you interested in that sort of thing?

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/06/2015 12:33 PM CST
This is an excellent idea, Brian! Some notes on stats for others to add to:

Strength: Affects how much you can carry, how much stamina you have, how strong your attacks are, and how quickly you can fire a ranged weapon.
Constitution: Affects how much you can carry, how well you take damage, how well you resist disease, and how much health and stamina you have.
Dexterity: Prime stat for rangers. Affects how strong your ranged attacks are and how quickly you can swing a weapon.
Agility: Affects your basic ability to defend yourself, your ability to hide, and how quickly you can swing a weapon.
Discipline: Affects your ability to defend against mental attacks, your ability to pick locks, and your ability to store experience to absorb.
Intuition: Prime stat for rangers. Affects how many training points you receive each level, how well you forage, how well you use magic items, and how well you evade attacks.
Aura: Affects how well you defend against elemental attacks and how many spirit points you have.
Influence: Affects how well you haggle.
Logic: Affects how much experience you can hold and how quickly you can absorb it, as well as how well you use magic items.
Wisdom: Affects your ability to cast and defend against spiritual attacks. Also determine new your starting mana.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/06/2015 01:23 PM CST
Looks like Nuadjha beat me to it!

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/06/2015 02:10 PM CST
You folks never cease to amaze me. Over the years I've played almost every class of character but I always seem to fall back on Radeek (even though he's not my strongest character and definitely not my most liked character when around other PC's) and I think one of the biggest reasons for that is coming through in this series of postings... We rangers tend to stick together and work with each other when things like this come along. I'm not saying the other classes aren't doing the same, but I've seen it a lot right here, and it's been happening for years. You guys jump on questions like a dog on a bone and they've always been answered with clarity and answered quickly. I see this guide that's being tossed around as a very good thing for our class and the people tossing around those ideas are top notch. This could be quite interesting. I can't wait to see where it goes.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard

Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/06/2015 02:43 PM CST
<Having said that, I do think there's some overlap. It's generally suggested to train up the 600 series first, and squeeze in the 100 series as able, once (and this is where opinions may vary) X spell is learned, but I'd say 107/640 is pretty solid before 50 trainings, then push towards 120/640 by 60 trainings.

I did some thinking on this and realized that a lot of things have changed since I had to make a decision on which circle of spell I wanted to learn. I know that my own personal training plan was extremely unorthodox, rather a bit like Turinronds in terms of doing things a LOT differently. I've always played Rad as a physical ranger, sword and board until ranged was released, spells have always been for back-up or set-up. Back then we had to brawl as well if we wanted any sort of defense as a ranged user, so TP's could get extremely tight for an archer.

My spell goals were set up differently. I trained to brig as soon as I could, which he was in before ranged came out. I trained in the basics, ranged, perception, ambush, mana, and brawling. We didn't have CMAN's then so training in HP was only until you got up to your max health (for the most part). I dumped EVERYTHING else into spells.

I have pretty much solo hunted my entire GS career, unless I was doing something with the Northern Fury or, later, The Drakes Vanguard, so defensive spells like 120 and 140 meant a lot to me and I wanted them ASAP. I was VERY close to 2x in spells until I got 140/650. I then backed WAY off the spells and started picked up everything else I had sacrificed to get those spells, armor up to hauberk, MIU and AS to be even more self sufficient, all those little things I wanted to be able to do... and guess what? It seems to have worked.

I think what I'm trying to say here, in my rambling way, is that we are all different, which is sort of the bane of all semi's, but it seems to be worse with Rangers. So that being said, how detailed should this guide be? I know the possibilities for rangers are nearly endless and to a certain extent we're all mutants, in one way or another. Should we show as much as we can, or should it be very general and basic. I'm afraid if it's too basic we might lose some of that "flavor" that I like with rangers, but I also know that if it's too detailed we'll bore the pants off whoever is making use of it. It's just something to consider I suppose.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard

Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/06/2015 03:36 PM CST
>Looks like Nuadjha beat me to it! -Kithus

Throw out some level 0 stat suggestions with descriptions about why they're made that way?

>I think what I'm trying to say here, in my rambling way, is that we are all different, which is sort of the bane of all semi's, but it seems to be worse with Rangers. So that being said, how detailed should this guide be? I know the possibilities for rangers are nearly endless and to a certain extent we're all mutants, in one way or another. Should we show as much as we can, or should it be very general and basic. I'm afraid if it's too basic we might lose some of that "flavor" that I like with rangers, but I also know that if it's too detailed we'll bore the pants off whoever is making use of it. It's just something to consider I suppose. -Radeek

I was going to keep it basic, but throw out a few examples training paths while still arguing that the sky's the limit. These are the basics, but one by no means should a person be trapped by them. Many rangers take drastic measures with their training to become some of the best rangers in the game. This type of thing is something you try and learn as you go.

I'm definitely with you on that sentiment. After we get that section of the guide down, I hope people will continue to review it and make suggestions where they find it lacking.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/06/2015 03:39 PM CST

I usually recommend three paths for spells.

The path i took for pup was 640 then up to 120 then ranger for life. Thanks to the bowels i did fixskill and went to 130 because out of my party i usually lived and had to fog people out of the bowels. So i would say stop 120 for voln and 130 for other societies. When i state this path i make mention that getting blues and powerful look tend to be the easiest since there are many professions to ask or get potions made.

If the person wants to be self spell only then i recommend 601 and 101 right off. Then go up to 618 for mobiles then 107 then back to 640 then 120. This is still mostly 1x spells but i believe gets the most useful defense spells in a reasonable time.

The last option is like radeeks idea of 2x until 620/120 then go back to 1x until 640 then eval your training to fill in needed gaps.

One thing not touched on yet is the lores talk. I have pup at .5x summoning and first seed at blessing. Lores is not needed but getting the first seed of blessing for defense and same for summoning for the vine and thorn poison is nice. Depending on each will also help guide the spell path due to TP cost.
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/06/2015 04:41 PM CST
<One thing not touched on yet is the lores talk. I have pup at .5x summoning and first seed at blessing. Lores is not needed but getting the first seed of blessing for defense and same for summoning for the vine and thorn poison is nice. Depending on each will also help guide the spell path due to TP cost.

I'm quite a bit post cap with Rad and have 0 lore training, but as I said, offensive spells for Rad are tertiary at best. I know lore training gives bonuses for hiding and defense but with his physical build I just never really needed them and stalk and hide and the return to brawling came post cap for him anyway.

<The last option is like radeeks idea of 2x until 620/120 then go back to 1x until 640 then eval your training to fill in needed gaps.

I loved having 120 early on. It saved his life many times in the 20th-50th levels. That additional DS was needed, especially since he was an open archer.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard

Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/06/2015 11:39 PM CST
I know that when I was getting started in GS, I was all "Aelotoi seem fun! Rangers seem fun! Archery seems fun!" so I rolled up an Aelotoi ranged ranger. The first time I died, the person who rescued me took it upon themselves to tell me that I shouldn't be doing ranged until level 20 and that Aelotoi are only good at being empaths so I should really just re-roll entirely.

I didn't reroll and I'm happy I didn't because I enjoy playing Astru, but I also don't think that it's a great impression for someone who's relatively new to the game and someone is telling you that even your racial/profession selection was lousy.

So I think that, in a guide for beginners, it's useful to point out that you can be a viable ranger without fitting into some specific pattern. I'm pretty sure that ranger is a versatile enough class that any race can do it (as long as your stats and training path aren't totally stupid... a little stupid is fine though).
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/07/2015 01:09 AM CST

I totally agree and I think that was Radeek's point earlier. You do not need to fit a mold. With that said I hope that disclaimer is not just on the ranger guide but all newbie/profession/race/what ever guides.
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/07/2015 02:20 AM CST
>With that said I hope that disclaimer is not just on the ranger guide but all newbie/profession/race/what ever guides.

Indeed. I think that DAID mentioned he'll be including something about this on the sorc guide as well (there's a lot of "only dark elves should be sorcs!" sentiment, apparently), but this is maybe something to look out for in general as the guides all start to take shape.

Oh, and I've been working on a general guide to buff spells. Scribes suggested incorporating some of that information onto the individual profession pages (e.g. "here are the buff spells you can learn as a ranger, these are the ones you want running all the time once you know them") so I'll probably be putting a small section on that into the ranger guide eventually (announcing it here to avoid duplication of effort).
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/07/2015 07:28 AM CST
Rangers are by far favorite class to play, non-picking rogues are a distant second. Ranged is my favorite form of combat, for both of those classes. For me that means a ranged Ranger is like heaven, but I firmly believe a ranger can be viable in almost any form. I've seen then in each and every form of combat, including a pure or two here and there, heck, I even considered playing around as a pure with Rad, but I love ranged too much.

I've been thinking about this guide since it was first talked about here and I might have a solution to some of our questions. What if we created two guides? Both would be in one guide, just two sections. The first would be a basic "Hey, how ya doin', this is what rangers are all about and here's how to get started" sort of thing, and part two would cover stuff that would be needed past say, 30-40 trainings or so. Nothing too detailed, just generalizations about how to go about your chosen training path.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard

Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/07/2015 10:51 AM CST
Today I should have plenty of free time by myself, so I plan to start writing and hopefully knock a big chunk out of what I want to see in there.

Also consider that this guide need not cover absolutely everything, but instead should aim directly at its goal of being the best damn good newbie guide it can be. I haven't seen anything I wouldn't want to include suggested; I say this because I want to refucus the goal and make sure we try to stick to that. I think we all agree and have generally the same feelings about trying to protect new players/rangers from people trying to "win" the game and pigeonhole others into their mold, so fear not, because I think this is something we can all be happy with.

Hopefully I can compel the thoughts out of my head into a cogent and elegant guide (or most of one) today. I'll post later for review. I'll leave the things out people mentioned wanting to work on (ohe/shield section, I still want lvl 0 stat suggestions) for implementation later. I want to try and get the skeleton of the guide built so we can start to see what it'll look like.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/08/2015 11:33 AM CST
>Discipline: Affects your ability to defend against mental attacks, your ability to pick locks, and your ability to store experience to absorb.

Lockpicking stats are DEX for picking and disarming, and INT for trap detection. DIS isn't relevant. If lockpicking is mentioned in a basic guide for stats for rangers, it should be under DEX not DIS.
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/09/2015 09:28 PM CST
So I was far less productive than I wanted to be this weekend with sick kids and other errands, but I did write up a little intro tonight. I'll shove it in tomorrow with more, including the basic structure of the guide.

Here's what I've got so far. Any editorial comments are appreciated. Hopefully I've not missed the mark of what we're all trying to see included.

Intro:

The purpose of this guide is to assist inexperienced players understand and easily surmount the challenges of rolling up a new ranger from the ground up. It focuses on the entire process of character creation and slightly beyond into the beginning of a ranger's life, including choosing initial stat placement, designing a skill training plan, and basic hunting strategies to bring those skill sets to life.

That said, the character building strategies described within this guide are meant to be only that – a simple guide – and are not to be taken as the only viable methods for doing so. The player is encouraged to take these generalities and build their character into the living, breathing person they envision. Gemstone IV provides an extremely vibrant and expansive world in which nearly anything a player can think up may be done.

Roleplaying and Character Development:

To begin the process of character building, it is highly recommended that new players take some time familiarizing themselves with some of the game's lore found on the main website and within this wiki. Basic knowledge of the game's lore is invaluable in helping a player decide what they want their character to become, or at least start them on the path to discovery. Will they be a half-elven pariah, exiled from some remote city in the Turamzzyrian Empire or a giantman from the Grishknel Wolf Clan, a scout for her nomadic village? Getting to know even the littlest bits about the world of Elanthia will put a player leaps and bounds ahead into deciding who they want their character to be. Of course, a player may decide to eschew this process initially and get right into playing. Many players decide who they want their characters throughout their journey.

I might add more to this segment, but other things are calling at the moment. I threw in a couple examples above to take advantage of other linked articles within the wiki related to RP to hopefully spur players into world-discovery.

Glad to be at least started on it.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/10/2015 09:09 AM CST
Stat placement is VERY dependent on race selection. I would always recommend placing for 100s at cap, tanking influence and putting any extra points into either your main AS stat, RT reducing stat, aura for spirit or logic for experience depending on where your race's weakness lies. For example, a halfling archer would certainly want to focus a few extra points on strength to improve their RT, while my half-krol was more interested in extra dex early and letting his strength build naturally.

On the spell discussion I cannot abide by recommending stopping minor spirit spells at 120. This has nothing to do with 130 and everything to do with 125. Rangers are the most self sufficient of the classes and part of this is the ability to open most of their own boxes with 125. Personally I don't even bother checking for traps anymore. If they aren't mithril or enruned I 125 them and I very rarely get zapped. Maybe this is more important to me because I cannot always readily find a locksmith in Plat but it sounds like many of you are using an NPC locksmith in Prime as well and they just rob you.

I also want to throw something out there about lores. I am perfectly aware the standard advice is to train in Summoning Lore as a ranger. I do the exact opposite and currently have over 60 ranks in Blessing Lore. The minor benefits provided by Blessing Lore in multiple spells really add up. When we are ready to make a lore section I want to be sure the case is made for both, or neither for that matter.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/10/2015 12:32 PM CST

For a min max type yes stats need to be perfect. But this goes back to what a few of us have said. We dont want cookie cutter rangers. Perfect stats are not a must. Pup is a perfect example of that. He doesnt have 100 stats across the board and does just fine.

As for lores i do agree we need to give the benefits of both. As mentioned in the header these are guidelines not a guide for this is the only way. The lore section should read about how both effect rangers with training examples including not even having any as lores are nice but not needed
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/10/2015 03:09 PM CST
>The lore section should read about how both effect rangers with training examples including not even having any as lores are nice but not needed

Absolutely.

The best statement by a GM regarding lore training I've heard went something like this (I think Coase said it to sorcerers?):

"It's my job to make it as hard as possible for you to choose between which lores you'd prefer to train."

Paraphrased, but you get the idea. We'll get everyone's ideas into the guide, but that's the mentality I want to go with.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/10/2015 07:38 PM CST
Well if that is the case they really need to buff up Blessing lore because Summoning rocks it.

Daemon Ranger
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/11/2015 04:24 PM CST
>Whoa..take it easy. I'm not sure if any of your and others hard work was lost which would explain the outburst. Keep in mind though, there are going to be some learning curves involved with giving everyone access to something in which only a handful were in the habit of and routinely updated prior.

At your job, do you routinely burst into other' work without prior consent? No, you do not. This is no different. Use common sense.

I wouldn't call what I said an outburst. I simply wanted to make sure I got my point across.

Like I asked of people earlier in this thread: if someone has editorial suggestions (which I am happy to hear and would greatly appreciate), that they should place them here, or in the discussion page of the wiki. An author's article, whether this one or any other, can have no success when everyone thinks they can do whatever they want to it.

>SPYRIDONM1 is an amazing wealth of game information to anything math related at the very least. He has tables on numerous pages on the wiki I find myself checkint when I need a refreshes on just HOW something works. That and posts unsolicited from time to time on the PC when something is being tested or not working as some poster thinks it should have.

So? What does that have to do with his current behavior? I don't know who he is. Should I cut him slack because you like him?

This project is a guide for rangers by rangers. I don't see any participation from either of you in this topic, so why do you feel like your opinions matter? I don't understand.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/11/2015 10:38 PM CST
<<Like I asked of people earlier in this thread: if someone has editorial suggestions (which I am happy to hear and would greatly appreciate), that they should place them here, or in the discussion page of the wiki. An author's article, whether this one or any other, can have no success when everyone thinks they can do whatever they want to it.

<<This project is a guide for rangers by rangers. I don't see any participation from either of you in this topic, so why do you feel like your opinions matter? I don't understand.

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Player_Guide_Contest

Q: I have no idea how to edit a wiki, can I participate?
A: Yup. Plain text submission is acceptable as long as it's a substantial edit. We encourage you to learn how to stylize a wiki -- it's quite easy! -- but it's not a requirement.

I fail to see where it says all your posts are belong to us.

I don't know you. I don't know the other individual. I do have the ability to form opinions and find that the vitriol in your posts is out of line enough that you've undermined the legitimacy of your point.

I am appreciative of your effort and was curious to see how the page was shaping up, though now I've lost interest and most certainly will not participate.
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/12/2015 11:27 AM CST
Come now guys. This is obviously just a little communication breakdown. Mark, you know we've got this thread going now so if you could just discuss with us before you make changes to the ranger guide in the future I would very much appreciate it. Brian, I'm sure you can see Mark was just trying to help and there's no reason to be calling anyone an idiot. We can all discuss this calmly and civilly.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/12/2015 01:36 PM CST
>Brian, I'm sure you can see Mark was just trying to help and there's no reason to be calling anyone an idiot. We can all discuss this calmly and civilly. -Kithus

That sort of thing is just a pet peeve of mine. I'm not, and never was, angry. I just feel that sometimes you have to be stern and a little harsh so that people understand you the first time (or the second time, in this case).

I don't feel that at this point anything is lost. Those I've chastised didn't have anything to do with this in the first place. To everyone else who has contributed, I very much appreciate the cooperative effort and will always accept constructive criticism. I'm certainly not the greatest writer, so I hope someone with a keen eye can help me critique a few things.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/12/2015 02:08 PM CST
>Come now guys. This is obviously just a little communication breakdown. Mark, you know we've got this thread going now so if you could just discuss with us before you make changes to the ranger guide in the future I would very much appreciate it.

The point of the contest and the wiki is to be a collaboration and the guides are intended to appear in those specific pages. No one should be able to claim any specific profession guide and require anyone to speak with them before making changes. Any discussion about disagreements should be done on the TALK page. From the contest page:

"In wiki spirit, these will be collaborative guides. There will be, for example, one sorcerer guide, and all the sorcerer players that want to input in it need to collaboratively work on that single guide rather than every man, woman or alien coming up with their own individual guide." ~Scribes

Should you not want anyone working on your stuff, put your name in the title, "Soandso's Ranger Guide." Even then though, it is a wiki, it is open to anyone to edit. Most of the time these lean toward grammatical and formatting edits, such as adding internal links. I also don't know if Scribes would give as much credit to those for the contest. For more on this see https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Talk:Player_Guide_Contest and Whirlin's comments.

Finally, while a guide may start out as specifically someone's, time passes, mechanics are updated, and thus the guide may need to be updated and that person may no longer be around. For example, I have been updating Evarin's scroll collection guide as new spells are introduced and durations have changed.

I, for one, am very happy when Mark reviews/edits "my" pages.
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/12/2015 02:13 PM CST
>I, for one, am very happy when Mark reviews/edits "my" pages.

Me too.
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/12/2015 02:42 PM CST
I won't apologize for having standards and expecting the same of others.

You can write your own ad hoc guides with ten authors. I guarantee it will have as many voices (and probably contain every POV), will flow like crap, and won't be able to adhere to a design.

I'm not telling anyone they can't collaborate. I'm saying that it should be done in an organized manner.

This is the last I have to say on the matter.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/12/2015 02:49 PM CST

>I'm saying that it should be done in an organized manner.

that's what the talk pages are for.
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/12/2015 02:57 PM CST
I find compelling perspectives on all sides of this.

Orchestration - a great thing, and something that is lacking in many individual efforts.

Quality - also same.

Consistent framework / navigation - simply orchestration at the site level, rather than the topic or document level, and just as important.

Teamwork - always good to see.

There are of course many others. To us each one or two of these are essential, and the others can go hang if necessary. What's critical is keeping track of which which affects whose witch (or hedgemage). Respecting what's important to another is a great way to keep friends and accomplish great work.

Or, if that's too soft - keep in mind we each have peeves and aspirations. Tread less on other peoples' turf - in all directions. Recognize their contribution, even it isn't as important to you. And if their aspiration impinges on your peeve, discuss it rationally.

Until its time to be irrational.

Doug
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/12/2015 08:04 PM CST
That sort of thing is just a pet peeve of mine. I'm not, and never was, angry. I just feel that sometimes you have to be stern and a little harsh so that people understand you the first time (or the second time, in this case).
~Brian, Sepher's player

No I think you were totally justified Brian. I was trying to keep it civil but it's pretty obvious some of the old KP mods think they still rule the roost when it comes to the wiki and a few of them are pretty obviously butt hurt that they are no longer the gatekeepers. It isn't too much to ask that they not make random changes to your work when we are very clearly collaborating here on the ranger forums.

Either way let's get back to the guide and if anyone wants to continue this discussion about wiki etiquette we can have it out on the wiki topic.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/12/2015 08:04 PM CST
>so if you could just discuss with us before you make changes to the ranger guide in the future I would very much appreciate it.

>You're the one who came in here to pick fights with people who were trying to have a constructive conversation about something you weren't even involved in.

I'll just repeat my first post. It repeats instructions from Scribes and guidance from the general contest discussion, as well as stating my admiration for Mark's work and a little input on working on other people's guides. I know those are fighting words to you:

The point of the contest and the wiki is to be a collaboration and the guides are intended to appear in those specific pages. No one should be able to claim any specific profession guide and require anyone to speak with them before making changes. Any discussion about disagreements should be done on the TALK page. From the contest page:

"In wiki spirit, these will be collaborative guides. There will be, for example, one sorcerer guide, and all the sorcerer players that want to input in it need to collaboratively work on that single guide rather than every man, woman or alien coming up with their own individual guide." ~Scribes

Should you not want anyone working on your stuff, put your name in the title, "Soandso's Ranger Guide." Even then though, it is a wiki, it is open to anyone to edit. Most of the time these lean toward grammatical and formatting edits, such as adding internal links. I also don't know if Scribes would give as much credit to those for the contest. For more on this see https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Talk:Player_Guide_Contest and Whirlin's comments.

Finally, while a guide may start out as specifically someone's, time passes, mechanics are updated, and thus the guide may need to be updated and that person may no longer be around. For example, I have been updating Evarin's scroll collection guide as new spells are introduced and durations have changed.

I, for one, am very happy when Mark reviews/edits "my" pages.
Re: GSWiki Ranger Guide 02/12/2015 08:06 PM CST

>I was trying to keep it civil but it's pretty obvious some of the old KP mods think they still rule the roost when it comes to the wiki and a few of them are pretty obviously butt hurt that they are no longer the gatekeepers

lol by all means please jump in and be a "gatekeeper"
Prev_page Previous 1 3 4 5