brawling ranger? 09/08/2014 09:35 AM CDT
Hi, Just wanted to know if anyone tried this out? Is it viable? what race/stats/training did/would you go?
also, any ranger gurus please chime in with your input.
Thanks
Re: brawling ranger? 09/08/2014 11:23 AM CDT

I saw a few under old voln fu but not sure i know any that did it from a start under the uac. I think radeek and dendum picked it up later in trains so maybe they can give advice from a ranger POV.
Re: brawling ranger? 09/08/2014 01:37 PM CDT
Brawling IS viable as a ranger. Heck, pretty much anything's viable for rangers. Radeek's primary attack is from ranged, but he also brawls now. I just picked it up post cap. It's interesting and nice against those critters who are puncture resistant as well. If you are planning on going brawling from the start I would imagine you would be pretty much limited to just brawl and spells. I assume this is your intent. I also recommend going with Voln if you plan on being a pure brawler. And don't forget those CMAN's. Rangers don't have great CMAN skills to choose from, overall, but training in CMAN will raise your brawling AS. If you have the points, and I don't know if you will, edged and brawling in combination is nice for the use of Katars. I find them to be very good, fast weapons. Two Weapon Combat is also another choice, but very difficult to pull off, points wise. Don't forget your lore trainings too. They can add to both AS and DS as well as add strength to your spell circles.

If you are rolling a fresh ranger remember, you have 30 days of fixskills. Play with it, see what works and what doesn't.

As far as Race and stats, I think that's a matter of personal preference. I've never been interested in perfection in this game. Strong is strong and good is good. I don't care about being the very best or having perfect stats, and it's worked for me for a very long time.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: brawling ranger? 09/10/2014 02:51 AM CDT
Thanks Jarhead. What lore thresholds should I working to?
Re: brawling ranger? 09/10/2014 05:07 AM CDT
Do rangers have any advantage over rogues for getting pushdown, or is the same training required for ambush and its only hiding where there are spells giving compensation for lower training?

You'll want 2x ambush if you need the same training as a rogue for pushdown. Having the target in offensive stance or getting full pushdown is critical for UAC.
Re: brawling ranger? 09/10/2014 05:24 AM CDT
<Thanks Jarhead. What lore thresholds should I working to?

Lores aren't mandatory for rangers. I know a lot of rangers who don't have any. Some rangers look at lores as a post capped goal. It all depends on how you want to play your ranger. This site will help you decide which direction you wish to go with your lores. http://carabele.com/LoreBenefits.htm.

Remember, it's darn hard to screw up a Ranger without actually going out of your way to do so. Rangers are a very well balanced class of character. Think of lores as extra icing on the cake, the cake is good without it, but it's better with it.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: brawling ranger? 09/11/2014 11:11 AM CDT
thanks guys for the Replies. Rathboner, I don't think i can put in 2x ambush. i'm barely making by with 2x weapons and S&H, 1x spells, harness, CM, PF, Dodge, Suvival, FA, and perception. not even 1x armor.
Ranger is still a baby, but I want to get him to brig asap. with the 2x ambush comment i'm now wondering if rangers have ANY advantages when it comes to UAC. We don't have any of the cmans. :((
Re: brawling ranger? 09/11/2014 04:12 PM CDT
You'll be totally fine with 1x ambush. Rangers that ambush with OHE do well with 1x in earlier levels and you will too. In fact, you'll do better because UAC punches are considered the lightest possible weapon in terms of aiming penalty.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: brawling ranger? 09/11/2014 07:37 PM CDT
>In fact, you'll do better because UAC punches are considered the lightest possible weapon in terms of aiming penalty.

Missing the location or failing to find openings isn't the issue, it's lack of the other benefits. e.g. the less ambush you have, the less often you get the ambush tier up. Aiming just requires a few more levels till you are competent, but the other effects require ranks/level rather than ranks total.

>i'm barely making by with 2x weapons and S&H, 1x spells, harness, CM, PF, Dodge, Suvival, FA, and perception. not even 1x armor.

You should get 1 rank of TWC. There's another bit of bonus DS if you have 0.5x TWC but thats probably not worth getting on a brawling ranger. There's an advantage over dodge at low level and its the sort of thing you might do in you first 30 days, but you'd be wanting points in dodge ranks rather than 0.5x TWC by level 30 and there wouldn't be much in it after level 15.

>Ranger is still a baby, but I want to get him to brig asap. with the 2x ambush comment i'm now wondering if rangers have ANY advantages when it comes to UAC. We don't have any of the cmans. :((

You have shadow mastery and UAC from hiding is a HUGE advantage over UAC from the open. I'm just not sure how much ambush a ranger needs to get that advantage. My experience on a rogue is that 1x misses out on a lot of it compared to 1.5x. Starting out at 1x and seeing how it goes is the thing to do, but put more points in if you are finding a lack of oomph come level 25-30.

Vines.
Re: brawling ranger? 09/11/2014 09:22 PM CDT

I thought they made changes to twc that the 1 rank will not give the ds bonus anymore?
Re: brawling ranger? 09/12/2014 01:26 AM CDT
>I thought they made changes to twc that the 1 rank will not give the ds bonus anymore? -- DMWCINCY

One rank of TWC will activate open left hand parry DS. At the time of the release only 1 rank was needed to receive the larger (+15 main gauche/sai equivalent) DS bonus. This was unintended and a correction soon followed, but the change only affected the size of the bonus.

OFF-HAND PARRY DS:

[(TWC ranks + (STR/4 )+ (DEX/4)) × (0.10 + stance/4)] + ( either 5 or 15 )

With less than .5x TWC ranks per level the bonus is +5.
With .5x or greater ranks per level the bonus is +15.

These bonuses (+5 or +15) are not affected by the stance modifier. The full bonus is applied to each stance. The minimum OFF stance DS increase is +5 with 1 rank TWC - a good TP investment.

Mark