DANGER RANGER! 10/02/2013 10:52 PM CDT
HOLA!

Still looking any tips on my ranger build. Was looking for a more magical build, heavy focus on tertiary skills such as scroll reading, magic item use, imbedding and trading. I don't really care about hunting as long as it's adequate. Currently a burghal gnome. Please, any suggestions with training build or stat placement appreciated.
Re: DANGER RANGER! 10/03/2013 01:37 PM CDT
Well, just pick a core hunting style that doesn't cost much, train in that, then dump the rest of your points into magical skills. I'd suggest either sword and board or open aimed ranged.

Sample (minimal) sword board training:
2x blunt or edged
1x shield
1x dodge
1x PT

Sample Ranged:
2x Ranged
1x Dodge
1x PT

I mean depending on how basic you want to get, either of these ultra simple combat training paths will get you to cap, especially if you have good lore training and make use of spike thorn, or early on simply tangleweed and camoflage (just for the AS boost). You could add some CM and Ambush into the sword board plan, or Ambush and Perception into the ranged in order to open aim, but this isn't totally necessary (can't remember if open aiming is all ambush?).

On a further note, I'm not sure what you hope to gain by training in lots of scroll use, etc. Rangers already have ridiculously good self-cast defenses and while the Weed Mage training path is viable at high levels as far as I know, I doubt it's do'able much before 60 or 70. There are plenty of oddball training paths you can do with a ranger that people rarely try, e.g. two handed weapons, hurling, or maybe since you're a burghal gnome - crossbows. Anyhow, hope this helps.

Player of Zeek
Re: DANGER RANGER! 10/03/2013 02:48 PM CDT
<<<You could add some CM and Ambush into the sword board plan, or Ambush and Perception into the ranged in order to open aim, but this isn't totally necessary (can't remember if open aiming is all ambush?). >>>

Open aiming is all perception, so I'd definitely add 1x - 2x perception to any ranged build.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: DANGER RANGER! 10/03/2013 04:11 PM CDT
Here is the current training for my open archery (crossbow using) ranger. You could easily cut back on Combat Maneuvers, Multi-Opponent Combat, and even spells to boost some of the tertiary skills you were looking to train in. With this build I am finding my defense a little lacking so have started pushing Dodge above 1x to provide some additional protection.

Burghal Gnome Ranger (at level 32), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 120 30 (this gets you into brigandine with minimum penalties)
Combat Maneuvers...................| 82 18 (I took 3 ranks in disarm for disarm defense)
Ranged Weapons.....................| 168 68
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 50 10 (In Warcamps and River's Rest jungle it gets a bit swarmy so this helps with my FoF defense)
Physical Fitness...................| 128 34
Dodging............................| 138 39 (was 1x training, now putting extra points here to boost defense)
Harness Power......................| 124 32 (training at level provides enough mana for my hunting style)
Survival...........................| 128 34 (took this for skinning)
Perception.........................| 168 68 (required for ranged build in my opinion, you could probably get by with 1x based on your requirement)
Climbing...........................| 120 30 (done training this for now until more is needed)
Swimming...........................| 120 30 (done training this for now until more is needed)
First Aid..........................| 128 34 (took this for skinning)

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 8

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 30 (pushed the spells to get my companion sooner, going to let these drop off to 1x the next few training levels)

Training Points: 147 Phy 0 Mnt (58 Phy converted to Mnt)

Starting stats to cap them around 100
Level 0 Stats for Burghal Gnome Ranger

Strength (STR): 73
Constitution (CON): 73
Dexterity (DEX): 33
Agility (AGI): 68
Discipline (DIS): 78
Aura (AUR): 85
Logic (LOG): 69
Intuition (INT): 49
Wisdom (WIS): 62
Influence (INF): 70

Stats at 32
Race: Burghal Gnome Profession: Ranger (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 83 (1) ... 83 (1)
Constitution (CON): 83 (26) ... 83 (26)
Dexterity (DEX): 65 (17) ... 65 (17)
Agility (AGI): 79 (24) ... 79 (24)
Discipline (DIS): 86 (13) ... 86 (13)
Aura (AUR): 90 (25) ... 90 (25)
Logic (LOG): 79 (24) ... 79 (24)
Intuition (INT): 71 (15) ... 71 (15)
Wisdom (WIS): 77 (13) ... 77 (13)
Influence (INF): 74 (7) ... 74 (7)
Mana: 99

-- Robert
Re: DANGER RANGER! 10/03/2013 06:48 PM CDT

thanks for tips. I had heard gnomes get a bonus for cross bows is that true?
Re: DANGER RANGER! 10/03/2013 07:08 PM CDT
thanks for tips. I had heard gnomes get a bonus for cross bows is that true?

Yes it is. They get a huge bonus to cocking RT. I can consistently cock a light crossbow in 3 seconds with self spells plus wizard strength. The only time it goes to 4 seconds or higher is when I start to get injured or encumbered.

-- Robert
Re: DANGER RANGER! 10/04/2013 07:15 PM CDT

I am not sure that i would keep imbedding as something of a training goal as the majority of your ability there is going to be lore based and it will just come with your spells if your goal is to be more magical. Also the Imbue spell is a bit wonky, the base mana that the docs say rarely matches real results. I think the location and what usually are small background factors are big ones for that spell.

Id be curious to know if any ranger has had consistent results with making rods or wands an the mana they hold, or actually seeing the increased mana consistently. I have found places I get noticeably more rods, but the mana each hold seems to very widely. I used to think the type of stick might effect it some, but now I think its just a very broad spectrum or things an behind the scenes rolls and calculations.
Re: DANGER RANGER! 10/05/2013 09:19 AM CDT
<Id be curious to know if any ranger has had consistent results with making rods or wands an the mana they hold, or actually seeing the increased mana consistently. I have found places I get noticeably more rods, but the mana each hold seems to very widely. I used to think the type of stick might effect it some, but now I think its just a very broad spectrum or things an behind the scenes rolls and calculations.>

I was under the impression that Spiritual Mana Control and ranks in the Ranger circle were what determined whether you got a rod or wand.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: DANGER RANGER! 10/05/2013 01:13 PM CDT
While I haven't experimented with it all that much, I will say I consistently make rods at this point, and they consistently hold exactly how much mana I think they should be holding given my training. But there was a very long stretch where I got mixed rods/wands. It didn't go consistently to all rods until I picked up more Spiritual Mana Control training.
Re: DANGER RANGER! 10/09/2013 07:20 PM CDT

I wish we had a way to analyze our own made rods and wands or other imbeddables to confirm or detect exactly how much mana, or even for a mage to be able too rather then just a lot.
Re: DANGER RANGER! 10/11/2013 03:49 PM CDT
Here's my ranger:

Fib (at level 58), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 130 35
Shield Use.........................| 159 59
Combat Maneuvers...................| 159 59
Brawling...........................| 218 118
Physical Fitness...................| 159 59
Harness Power......................| 158 58
Spirit Mana Control................| 120 30
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 111 27
Survival...........................| 159 59
Perception.........................| 117 29
Climbing...........................| 90 20
Swimming...........................| 90 20
First Aid..........................| 117 29

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 20

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 67

Hunting got so easy it's boring. 616 until 50 mana, aspect of the owl, wracking, 616 until out of mana, wracking, 616 until out of mana, go back to town. Most the time I fry in 1-2 wracks but occasionally I get unlucky and take a full 3 wracks.
Re: DANGER RANGER! 10/12/2013 12:27 PM CDT
Yeah, a weed mage looks great on paper but at the end of the day I think it's always fated to be a victim of its own success. One trick pony = zzz. I think what would be really cool would be to 1x spell aiming and summoning lore in addition, play a high-dex race, and spend a small fortune on spell-aim and dex enhancives. Then you could be the spiking/webbing bolting/fire spiriting weed mage of dooooom!!!

Player of Zeek
Re: DANGER RANGER! 10/13/2013 09:32 AM CDT
Yea, it looked great on paper and is great in practice it's just boooooring. I suppose I could wear my shield and go punch things but without the shield skills to reduce MM and the Monk abilities to give me defense I'd get splattered.
Re: DANGER RANGER! 11/08/2013 01:28 PM CST
When bored. Web stuff and let your companion eat it for the lulz?

<just passing through>

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: DANGER RANGER! 11/08/2013 04:51 PM CST
Doing it wrong if you just web. Web then cast Swarm on it THEN let the animal have dinner

:D

Pup's player