Ranger attempt #2 05/26/2013 02:48 PM CDT
Ok, tried archery for about 6 levels. It wasn't bad. The training seems very simple/obvious, so I kinda liked that about it.

I saw another player using TWC, he was a warrior not a ranger, but it looked like fun. I planned a dwarf twc ranger. This of course isn't to cap, just for fun.

stats at 0 (dwarf)

Str - 83
con - 68
dex - 95
agi - 96
dis - 21
aur - 69
log - 20
int - 92
wis - 70
inf - 46

Core training plan:
1x armor
2x edged
1.5x twc
.5x combat maneuvers
1x ambush
1x physical fitness
1x dodging
1x climb or swim
2x stalking and hiding
1x perception
1x survival
1x harness power
1x spell (except for level 0)

As you can imagine this is very tight on points. I had to back off of 1x Combat maneuvers to get ANY of the tertiary skills in. And I had to drop twc to 1.5x to get the Combat maneuvers to 1x...

Does this character really need CM at all? Should I drop combat maneuvers completely and go back to fully 2x in TWC? Is this character trying to do too much? I really wanted to get 2x survival into this build, but I'd have to give up perception to do that and maybe I should? Maybe it's smarter just to go with an ambushing sword and shield style.

Critique away, but please remember I'm a noob! :)
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/26/2013 03:48 PM CDT

Critiquing my own build, I'm thinking that stalking and hiding/ambushing WITH TWC may be overkill. Is that what you're thinking?
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/26/2013 04:43 PM CDT
During the earlier levels TWC is likely the better way to ambush because you have less chances of hitting where you aim and you may not always get the desired result when you do hit the mark. You do have less defense using TWC then you would sword/board but that is the trade off. You could probably go without combat maneuvers for now but you'd have to keep in mind that at some point you'd want them to be at least at 1x. The AS bonus you get from combat maneuvers adds up over time and some of the maneuvers themselves are useful.
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/26/2013 05:13 PM CDT

When I ambush with TWC do I ambush with both weapons? Or just the one in my right hand?
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/26/2013 05:39 PM CDT
Both weapons get used.
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/26/2013 08:07 PM CDT
>>When I ambush with TWC do I ambush with both weapons? Or just the one in my right hand?<<

I think the question here is whether you get DS pushdown for the second weapon when attacking from hiding. I'm not sure about that.

You'll have fun with that build. It'll (like everything) really kick in later in life, but will still be fun.

Do rangers get a profession bonus for hiding and attacking from hiding like a rogue does? The reason I'm asking is because my old TWC rogue ripped through sunfist warcamps like they were nothing. So Saxman, if you want to go Sunfist get in early and master young. I do think this build will be a lot of fun. More fun than chasing arrows and once you get 608 use the heck out of it.
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/26/2013 08:15 PM CDT
>I think the question here is whether you get DS pushdown for the second weapon when attacking from hiding. I'm not sure about that.
WOLFFC3

Yes

>Do rangers get a profession bonus for hiding and attacking from hiding like a rogue does?

Rogues have the highest hiding bonus. This countered by Rangers having hiding/sneaking spells and lore. There's no professional ambush bonus as far as I'm aware, outside of skill costs/amounts.

-farmer
>"Mine lights my character on fire and makes her all glowy." -Raelee
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/26/2013 08:44 PM CDT

Ok, so I dropped perception completely and took dodge to .75x. This allowed me to bring Combat maneuvers up to fully 1x and TWC to 1.75x. I can pick up perception later on if I ever make it high enough. I can catch dodge and TWC up later as well as get some perception later too.
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/26/2013 08:59 PM CDT

Sorry, can't edit my post to add this question:

Is 1x ambushing enough? I've noticed it seems like a lot of ambushers train it 2x.
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/26/2013 11:15 PM CDT
I've heard 1x ambush is ok, but you'd likely want more at some point as well.
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/27/2013 11:41 AM CDT

1x ambushing is fine for pup using sun fist. 1x hiding can be a pain but at 89 trains doable.

Also with self spells rangers can keep up with rogues out doors. In doors no way
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/29/2013 11:23 AM CDT
<I can pick up perception later >

I would not drop it, you should be at least 1x perception for life one of a rangers most needed skills

~Shi'larra
One bold fella breaks from the chain and climbs up on Brinret's chest, grabbing a hold of the tufts of hair on both sides of his head and holding him still! A fat, wet kiss is placed before the monkey disappears
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/29/2013 03:32 PM CDT
Why do you say that?
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/29/2013 09:48 PM CDT
If you mean me, I say that because if you continue to hide and ambush things when you uphunt you'll notice a big difference in your ability to ambush.
Re: Ranger attempt #2 05/30/2013 10:12 AM CDT
>I would not drop it, you should be at least 1x perception for life one of a rangers most needed skills

Wanted to throw my weight with this too, just my 2 cents. Perception is just such a useful skill and I've always tried to fit at least .5x in on all my characters. I sing its praises because I've found the characters with whom I can't fit it in are noticeably crappier at: avoiding maneuvers, finding heirlooms, foraging for herbs for bounties. That might not sound like a crazy list, but it consists of things you will do all the time. And for rangers, it's so cheap that going 1x will probably fit quite easily into any training plan that doesn't already have 2x anyway (i.e. archer).

Your mileage may vary, but I'd at least get 30 ranks.

Player of Zeek