Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 02:13 PM CDT

Assuming that a player is not very experienced in GS4, and not able to fund oneself with the best gear (just the basics, nothing frilly) or to even get outside spells is it viable to play a ranger from creation as an open archer or would I just be creating a pointless headache for myself?
Re: Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 03:01 PM CDT
I did that and it was a pain. I ended up fletching through many levels for the exp and to get perfect arrows asap. So yes it's possible, but in your first 30 you may want to get a sword, shield and go bash things as fast as you can.
Re: Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 03:05 PM CDT
It's viable. But I'm not sure I would make that my first choice given the criteria you laid out.

Archery tends to be a bit more complex for combat than a lot of the other combat styles (meaning you will likely spend some time setting up some macros to make it easier). Also my experience is that their Defense is a little light (although a lot of that depends on how you train). If you can manage to get a regular spellup of wizard spells and throw a small statue into the mix you'll likely be fine though.

Archery does become very powerful pretty quickly. One shot death crits are very gratifying. Grab a 4x bow and some ebladed arrows and you'll be in pretty good shape on the equipment side of things.

If you have some patience and don't mind struggling as you get the hang of open archery combat then I would say go for it anyway. Rangers are a blast to play!

-- Robert
Re: Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 03:11 PM CDT
Actually, until they're in their late teens or early 20's, pretty much all archers are open archers since staying hidden while shooting yer bow is very unreliable until that point... though rangers are able to snipe at a slightly earlier age due to their spells.

Using archery from day one is perfectly viable, I've done it with both a ranger and a rogue... though you will have the headache of lots of arrows getting lost in the shadows/distance until you get some levels under your belt. You'll want to buy a stock of the cheap ones from the fletchers shop and use those until around level 10, that way you're not losing anything expensive if you get sick of searching them out or they get lost in the distance.

I'd also write or get ahold of a couple simple scripts early on: one to pull out an arrow, put you in stance offensive, and fire at the critter, and one to search your kills and GATHER your arrows. This will save you a LOT of typing and frustration.

Also, make sure you give yourself decent STR when you create your character, esp if your ranger is going to be a smaller race like a halfling or gnome (for those two races, I'd suggest giving them an STR of at least 85 to start, others can get away with lower). If you don't, you'll be stuck with a high firing RT. Phoen's Strength can help with that once you gain access to it, but I still wouldn't make STR so low that you have a negative bonus.

Lastly, I'd strongly recommend training at least 1x in ambush and 2x in Stalking and Hiding even if you plan on doing the majority of hunting from the open. It's always useful to be able to pop into the shadows in sticky situations or make use of 608 when something's proving difficult to kill.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 03:31 PM CDT

So as a relatively new player (I've got a level 15 empath also), would you recommend that I go with a sword and shield over archery? Archery seems more the style of a Ranger. Is there a way to be an edged user and not use a shield?

I may just give both a try with the same character and see which is more fun/fitting. I've seen dozens of archery builds on the forums, but what is the "core" training of an edged using ranger?

Thanks for the replies!
Re: Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 04:11 PM CDT
I'd recommend sword and board for your first 30 days and power-hunt. Don't get fancy and don't worry about much. Stack your str, dex and agi to be favorable for fighting and get after it. No build is really better than another at this point because it takes secondary skills to flesh out a typical "build". You just won't have the time or TP's for that now.

Basically what I'm saying is don't agonize over these decisions from lvl 1-20. Get as much exp as you can as easy as you can and fix stats before time runs out.
Re: Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 04:13 PM CDT
A standard plan for sword/board is something like this:
1x shield
2x edged
1x armor
1x PF
1x cman
1x dodge
1x stalk/hide
1x ambush
1x spells
Harness power equal to your level
1x climb/swim
Perception/MIU/AS/ect as you see fit.

I was recently helping someone and ended up dropping the dodge in favor of raising stalk/hide and ambush up to 2x. Likely a more favorable approach as this allows one to more easily hunt a wider range of creatures. You could, of course, just stand in the open and attack things but most people don't have the patience for it.

If you wanted to get ride of the shield you could likely gain a rank of brawling then train in two weapon combat to receive the benefits of an empty left hand. You'd have less DS then if you had a shield but you'd still likely see a gain of 15-20DS as long as you were at least .5x in two weapon combat.
Re: Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 05:51 PM CDT
>If you can manage to get a regular spellup of wizard spells and throw a small statue into the mix you'll likely be fine though.

That's really all you need to do to make ranged easy at the lower levels. Your DS will be low at first, but will improve a great deal once you get 103, 613, and 618 under your belt. You'll want to use a short bow or composite bow to help with firing times. The minimum RT on ranged is 3, and you should take advantage of that. 606 helps reduce firing times by 1 second, by the way, by giving you a +10 strength bonus.

For more info on ranged, and if you haven't seen it, check out my ranged guide: http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_the_Bow_(guide)

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 06:31 PM CDT
>Assuming that a player is not very experienced in GS4, and not able to fund oneself with the best gear (just the basics, nothing frilly) or to even get outside spells is it viable to play a ranger from creation as an open archer or would I just be creating a pointless headache for myself?

Extremely viable character, definitely does not need outside spells if trained well. The following will make your life much easier:

set up sloot2 to gather your arrows when you use them
learn how to ready ammo in your quiver
have someone help you set up a script to stance off/shoot/stance def
your first time around, do NOT choose a small race and make sure you have good strength
don't obsess about fletching, master fletched arrows are not expensive

Player of Zeek
Re: Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 07:44 PM CDT
Macros work fine. Here's how I do it.

To begin with, I keep two bundles of arrows in my quiver, one blessed, one flaring.

ALT-F = stance offensive\r --- You can combine this with your fire macro if you want. I'm just used to working this way.

ALT-D = take 1 arrow from my quiver\r fire\r
I set my target with the TARGET command. Fire will attack your target, or default to a random enemy.

TAB = target --- I leave a blank space and no carriage return, so I can simply hit TAB and type the critter I want to hit. Easy.

ALT-B = gather arrow\r put my arrow in my arrow in my quiver\r -- This works like magic. There is one caveat: If your ammo gets mixed up, you'll have all kinds of headaches getting it sorted out. So make sure you use only 1 type of ammo at a time. Sometimes the messaging is a little weird, but it works.

ALT-W = take other arrow from my quiver\r put my arrow in my quiver\r --- This simply swaps between my blessed arrows and flaring arrows.

ALT-H = hide\r

CTL-H = inc camouflage\r

ALT-Z = stance defensive\r
Why Z? I haven't the foggiest notion. I'm just used to it. :)

I have ALT-F5 through F9 mapped to aim at various body parts, for example ALT-F5 = aim right eye\r

Some of my key combinations may seem a bit baffling, but I'm used to them. My first character was (and is) a sorcerer, so ALT-D was my main attack macro (mana Disrupt) and the habit stuck. I have no idea about ALT-B...it may have been the only key left, I can't remember. :) Bottom line, map them any way you want.

And that's about it for bow mechanics. No scripts necessary. Not to say you can't put all that in a script, but I personally find it much more satisfying to hunt with macros. It's also more flexible since you can quickly adapt to a changing situation. This becomes more important as you start using your spells more often.

I should also mention I'm a rather speedy touch-typist, so my macros assume both hands are in typing position. They might be less than ideal for a hunter-and-pecker. :)

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 10:08 PM CDT

Ok, so I'm still looking at archery, but I'm also playing around with other ideas...

Is a TWC ranger viable? I'm having a hard time finding any information about TWC that makes sense/is clear to me. The playstyle would be: Ambush the first strike and hopefully TWC them down! :)
Re: Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 10:15 PM CDT
TWC is plenty viable and lots of fun. Has the same DS problems as ranged at lower levels.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Open Archery from day 1 05/24/2013 11:25 PM CDT
I just brought a couple of characters up from level 1. Open archery is by far my favorite build.

#1 - It has more defense then a THW or Polearm (might be the same) build.
#2 - You can easily get 3 second RT with a bow.
#3 - Eblade scales with you until level 20 with a 4x bow. That's 8x total.
#4 - No encumbrance issues, get as many boxes as you want!

I tried Claidhmore for awhile but I was getting hit in stance defense. Then I switched to polearms and I was constantly having RT issues because I kept picking up boxes. I switched to Archery and have not looked back since. I can hunt at level with my Sorcerer fairly fast. But my Bard really destroys (2x ranged.)

I also recommend you do not fletch for now. Just buy 100 arrows from the shop and when you lose em, buy some more. It's not worth the headache of trying to track precious arrows that may have flown away and/or become hidden in the room.

You also won't be able to AIM at anything for a long time. So I'd just get the biggest bow that has a 3 second RT and run with it.