Paladin build for a returning player 04/05/2018 03:37 PM CDT

I just recently returned after a break of five or six years and feel more than a little overwhelmed concerning a character I'm trying to plot out.

I have one of the old style 3x coraesine weapons in Platinum, the no-dachi, so I thought it would be a lot of fun to put together an erithian paladin focused around two-handed weapons.

My problem is that I have no idea what I'm doing! I understand that the formula to reduce the weapon backlashing is 50 minus the character's discipline and influence bonuses and that I also need to keep the bonuses for agility and dexterity in mind for roundtime. My problem is that I don't know how to balance all of this and still come up with a viable paladin character. Math is also not one of my strong points.

Should I shelf the coraesine weapon until my character is more advanced? I did play around with a spreadsheet and figured out that I could use it as an erithian at around level 20. It just seemed pretty costly. Now I don't mind sacrificing and using a fixstat potion in the future. I'm more or less worried that I'll make my character unplayable, if that makes sense.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-B
Re: Paladin build for a returning player 04/05/2018 04:28 PM CDT
20th level took my little Monk almost exactly 3 months, but I frequently get in for an hour or less each day (much of which may be on the Bard, not the Monk at all), so many of those days would be "fill the head once and logout to absorb."

Not sure what level you're at now, but things like a 125k greathelm that gives +6 to INFluence bonus (in Sorak's shop of Platinum Landing) can go a LONG way towards making those weapons more manageable.
Or he has a (non-crumbly!) headband that gives +4, for only 75k (and usable at 24th rather than 30th).
Re: Paladin build for a returning player 04/05/2018 05:55 PM CDT
You can change stats up to 5 times before you hit level 20 and skills at any time before 20 so it's pretty easy until then. You can play with discipline and influence until you find a good threshold.

I thought those weapons eventually attune to you though so do you always need those two stats high or won't it eventually be pointless?

Also, why do you want to be a paladin? That weapon on a war wizard or a war empath would be pretty cool. I have a capped paladin in platinum so I'm a fan of the profession but some folks consider them fairly boring as they're really straight forward and very easy to play.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4