I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/15/2017 08:47 PM CST
I started out with this guy as a GSIII cleric and made him a paladin because I liked the melee abilities of that old build. At first I had him THW because I like the idea of laying waste to rooms of bad guys in one swing. The problem is that he's slow and gets pasted too much. He was the proverbial Glass Cannon. I picked up a greatshield and morning star and switched him over to Blunt and Board.

My problem with him is this: He's so boring. It takes like 5 or 6 hits to kill a Reiver. I just got as much ambush as TP's allowed so I miss s shots, but even when I hit the neck or head it doesn't do much more than act as a hit. I'm hoping that theres a way to get him to kill faster.

He's wearing a metal breastplate for armor.

Cmans are surge and the TD one (focus?). He's got CoL.

I'd like him to be able to stay 1x spells but be able to fight like a warrior. Is it possible? Can I make him "fun" again like he was in GSIII as a cleric?

Race: Giantman Profession: Paladin
Level: 28 Gender: Male Age: 45

Experience:
Experience: 922154 Next level at: 960000 exp.
Exp. until next lvl: 37846
Fame: 687767 Deeds: 6 Deaths this level: 0
Your mind is clear.

Wealth:
Silvers: 0 coins

Skills:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 177 77
Shield Use.........................| 150 50
Combat Maneuvers...................| 120 30
Blunt Weapons......................| 160 60
Ambush.............................| 45 9
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 50 10
Physical Fitness...................| 120 30
Dodging............................| 70 15
Harness Power......................| 114 28
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 30 6
Perception.........................| 50 10
Climbing...........................| 50 10
Swimming...........................| 50 10

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 3

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 26
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

Spell Ranks:
Minor Spiritual :3
Paladin Base :26

Stats: Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 94 (37) ... 94 (37)
Constitution (CON): 84 (27) ... 84 (27)
Dexterity (DEX): 78 (9) ... 78 (9)
Agility (AGL): 87 (13) ... 87 (13)
Discipline (DIS): 84 (17) ... 84 (17)
Aura (AUR): 67 (3) ... 67 (3)
Logic (LOG): 79 (9) ... 79 (9)
Intuition (INT): 60 (5) ... 60 (5)
Wisdom (WIS): 89 (19) ... 89 (19)
Influence (INF): 44 (2) ... 44 (2)
Re: I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/15/2017 10:52 PM CST
My recommendations:
- Drop Armor down to 2x training to free up some points. You just don't need plate that fast.
- 2x Shield Use training and use a Tower Shield. If you can, acquire a holy tower shield so you can cast 1604 on it for plasma flares with your shield bash (also add a spike to your shield for added fun).
- Something you may not be aware of, Shield Maneuvers. Type SHIELD in game to get basic information on this. I would recommend training Tower Shield Focus and Shield Bash early on. If you get a spike added to your shield then look at Shield Spike Focus and Shield Spike Mastery.
- Training Combat Manuevers at 1x early on worked well for me but look to boost it later on. Early on yourr 1611 spell helps offset this some.
- I like having at least 1 point in surge of strength for most of my characters. Feint and Specialization are good as well.
- Blunt weapons: I use a warsword but no reason why blunt shouldn't work as well. What are you using for a weapon / weapon base?
- Ambush: Assuming you are using this to open ambush - keep training until you are happy with your accuracy on the head / neck. You'll probably want 25-35 ranks.
- MOC: You'll want to push this up some - look up MOC on the wikki and set different thresholds as your next goal. At 30 ranks you can get two swings on the same opponent.
- Physical Fitness: 1x works for me.
- Drop Dodge training completely, 2x Shield is sufficient defense with a tower shield.
- Harness Power: Train this to level as you are now.
- Lores: I would shoot for 25 ranks of SL: Religion to maximize 1615/1630 kneel. After that take a look at some of the other lore benefits for paladins, I think there are some decent benefits for minimal lore training in SL:Blessings and SL:Summoning.
- Perception, Climbing, Swimming: These were all 'hobbies' for my paladin early on. Train what you must have for where you are hunting and otherwise look to beef them up later in life.
- 1x spell training is doable. You might consider letting it slide back to .75 once you hit key goals (I wanted 1640 and 120 as my targets, some people would stop at 1635).
- You'll want 25 ranks in SMC if you shoot for 1640 but that's down the road.

My paladin is 90 and I've had a lot of fun with shield bash through most of those levels. Once you get 3 ranks in shield bash you should find it starts working fairly well for you with even better results at 4/5 ranks. I took Feint later in life to work on things that I couldn't shield bash.

My paladins training at 90:
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 250 150
Shield Use.........................| 284 184
Combat Maneuvers...................| 237 137
Edged Weapons......................| 284 184
Ambush.............................| 140 40
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 155 55
Physical Fitness...................| 192 92
Harness Power......................| 190 90
Spirit Mana Control................| 105 25
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 105 25
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 105 25
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 54 11
Survival...........................| 90 20
Perception.........................| 124 32
Climbing...........................| 192 92
Swimming...........................| 180 80
First Aid..........................| 82 18

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 30

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 43

- currently focused on bringing CMANs to 2x between training and 1611) and paladin spells to 1650 to improve my CS (and in anticipation of a 1650 spell eventually being released).
- I hit plate mail at around training 55 or so but I didn't make the push to go above 2x in armor until after 50. There were times where I thought I would have been better off in lighter armor.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask questions around tactics or whatever.

-- Robert
Re: I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/16/2017 01:03 AM CST
Not sure what spells you're currently using to hunt with, but I started using quite a few different ones when I got to OTF.

If you're hunting in an area that swarms using an open web can be fun. With 150 ranks in armor, 4 ranks of armor fluidity, and 40 ranks of spirit summoning I have 2% spell failure with minor spiritual spells. The web lasts awhile and catches a few critters which is handy.

I have 4 ranks in feint, but I tend to open cast aura of the arkati more now. It has a much greater effect against critters in DS stance and bypasses the lesser constructs golden aura if open cast.

From level 40-60 I used a sword and shield and pretty much just beat things to death. I think I switched to polearm around level 60 and had fun with charge for 15 levels or so. Then I switched to two handed weapons when I won the no-dachi at the auction.

In summary, try switching up your hunting style, try a different weapon when you have a fixskill available, and experiment with spells when you get to a new hunting ground to keep things fresh.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/16/2017 07:27 AM CST
This is what he has for weapons and maneuvers. If I drop the armor to 2x and dodge to 0 He’ll have 277 physical and 21 mental TP’s to start migrating. I will lose some shield points though. Not sure if I should take that from bash or Tower shield focus.

I’d have to find him some augmented chain or drop down to his old Brig until he levels up enough to get back into plate. At least that’s working with what I have in my locker. What do you think of going back to brig for a while until he can move up into armor I already own? Is it worth it to buy Augmented chain?

-Vultite Morning Star (I have an acid flaring 4x mace that will give him more speed)

-You carefully inspect your white vultite greatshield.

Your careful inspection of a rectangular spiked white vultite greatshield allows you to conclude that it is a tower shield that protects the bearer if carried in the left hand. You also notice that it is spiked.
You carefully inspect your white vultite greatshield.

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Combat Focus focus 2
Surge of Strength surge 3

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 3
Tower Shield Focus tfocus 4
Shield Bash bash 4

Available Shield Training Points: 2

Here are his current available weapon and armor options.

On an armor stand:
some full plate
some scratched mithril arm greaves
some studded brigandine armor
an etched vultite chain hauberk (registered)
a full suit of brightly polished steel platemail
a thick spiked mithril metal breastplate

On a weapon rack:
a teak-handled vultite war mattock
an exquisite kelyn-hilted vultite flamberge
a well-crafted maoral-hafted vultite maul
a superior maoral-hafted vultite mattock
a haon-hafted vultite mace
a metallic vultite shield
a pearl-inlaid black alloy mace (4x with acid flares)
an acid-stained glaes katana with sapphire blue spidersilk wound about its hilt
Re: I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/16/2017 08:47 AM CST
Armor: Since you are close to 60 ranks at 2x training it might be worth picking up some 4x augmented chain from the town armor smith or also check player shops and you might find something at 5x on the cheap or maybe with some temp padding/enhancives (totally not needed but if it's there why not use it). Then leave your training at 60 in armor and put the new points to use elsewhere until you are ready to train up to 80.

Weapon: I think morning star is a good weapon base. Once you play around some and figure out what you want to do longer term it might be worth finding a perfect weapon and getting that enchanted up some (my paladin uses an 8x perfect warsword).

Shield: Nothing wrong with your shield - the spikes will give you a penalty with the shield bash (-10) until you take shield spike focus. Shield spike mastery really is a lot of fun for down the road. I'd still recommend looking for a holy / eonake version so you can cast 1604 and get the plasma flares when you shield bash - this will probably set you back around 500k for a 4x version without spikes (based on current playershops market) - these were offered at the last EG for 100k but that was the first time in a very long time that they had been offered (no idea when we will see them offered again).

Hunting: I would suggest disabling your opponent in some way (shield bash, Feint, 1614) and then trying an open ambush to the head or neck. You should get some pretty good results with this although you may find you miss your target location more often than not until you add a few more ambush ranks.

Also I neglected to post my CMANs/SHIELD training for reference:

Combat Focus focus 1
Disarm Weapon disarm 2
Feint feint 5
Specialization I wspec1 5
Combat Toughness toughness 1
Surge of Strength surge 2

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 23 (saving up to 30 points for Tainted Bond)

Tower Shield Focus tfocus 5
Shield Bash bash 5
Shield Push push 1
Prop Up prop 2
Shield Forward forward 3
Shield Spike Focus spikefocus 2
Shield Spike Mastery spikemastery 2
Block the Elements eblock 2
Protective Wall pwall 2

Available Shield Training Points: 2

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/16/2017 08:57 AM CST
I'll keep working at it. Below is what I'm running into today. It's aggravating to have to get healed up so much and so damaged hunting. I've always played rogues and rangers so rarely have stood in the open getting blasted like this. It seems I have to cut all my hunts short to get back to town for healing or find a place to hide out while I eat herbs. This character barely seems survivable at this point.

*note: only self spelled and signs

You swing a pearl-inlaid black alloy mace at a veteran reiver!
AS: +288 vs DS: +103 with AvD: +18 + d100 roll: +28 = +231
... and hit for 32 points of damage!
Torn muscle in the veteran reiver's right leg!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
A veteran reiver swings an old claidhmore at you!
AS: +207 vs DS: +169 with AvD: +47 + d100 roll: +75 = +160
... and hits for 26 points of damage!
Shot to your neck scrapes away skin.
Some nasty bleeding.
You are stunned for 3 rounds!

You swing a glistening vultite morning star at a reiver!
AS: +209 vs DS: +131 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +33 = +145
... and hit for 18 points of damage!
Blow raises a welt on the reiver's right arm.
A reiver swings a broadsword at you!
AS: +222 vs DS: +150 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +81 = +189
... and hits for 22 points of damage!
Stomach shot lands with a hollow thump.
Re: I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/16/2017 12:14 PM CST
*note: only self spelled and signs
You swing a pearl-inlaid black alloy mace at a veteran reiver!
AS: +288 vs DS: +103 with AvD: +18 + d100 roll: +28 = +231
... and hit for 32 points of damage!
Torn muscle in the veteran reiver's right leg!
A veteran reiver swings an old claidhmore at you!
AS: +207 vs DS: +169 with AvD: +47 + d100 roll: +75 = +160
... and hits for 26 points of damage!
Shot to your neck scrapes away skin.
Some nasty bleeding.
You are stunned for 3 rounds!
You swing a glistening vultite morning star at a reiver!
AS: +209 vs DS: +131 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +33 = +145
... and hit for 18 points of damage!
Blow raises a welt on the reiver's right arm.
A reiver swings a broadsword at you!
AS: +222 vs DS: +150 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +81 = +189
... and hits for 22 points of damage!
Stomach shot lands with a hollow thump.

It's been a while since I hunted reivers (by "a while", I mean, years. I hunted them with my rogue and an old warrior I no longer have...can't remember what account or character name it was on) and I don't recall having issues with reivers. You time their swings - once they swing, you stance offensive and attack. Then stance to defensive. If I know I can't get back to defensive in time before they swing again, I'll perhaps only stance up to advance or forward so my DS is higher in hopes to avoid taking damage.

As for spells, simply ask around for any mass spells or elemental defense. An extra +20 to +35 DS from 401/406/414 would go a long way in helping. Also, pick up a small statue and give it a rub before you head out. Small statue rub will last you 20 minutes if you have zero MIU. 1 rub and 401/406/414 and your DS would be 60 points higher.

-Drumpel
Re: I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/16/2017 01:16 PM CST
Wizard spells are generally easy to come by and you can find charged small statues (30+ uses) in a number of player shops.

I didn't have your experiences when hunting with my pally (he was pretty much a tank) but I did tend to always have wizard spells and COL signs on (I generally don't use statues).

Waiting until they swing and / or opening with shield bash would also potentially stun or knock down your opponent giving you a better result on your swing as well (lower critter DS, higher AS/Damage result, higher chance of a crit).

Also give open ambush to the head/neck/back a try after knocking them over with a shield bash as well and see how you like the results.

-- Robert

Re: I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/16/2017 06:03 PM CST
Veteran reivers all wear full plate. Except for steel golems, they are much tougher defensively than anything near their level. They wield a slightly dulled version of a claidhmore, which still kills on low endrolls. If they are prone, and not stunned (and in plate they won't stun long), they kip up and attack immediately. This can be very dangerous. Might consider using 1602 before your regular opener, if you can ward them. The reivers in the north side of the compound tend to gen with plate and the reivers in the south tend to gen in leather or chain. You can use that to your advantage for awhile, until they start wandering. If you see one, look at him before you attack.

As an alternative, cyclops in Solhaven are pretty easy to hunt at 28. They are usually dirt poor but you'll learn better off them, and they swing slow and don't have much in the way of armor. The most dangerous things in cyclops are the script zombies.
Re: I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/16/2017 08:24 PM CST
Sounds good. A like level warrior took my guy out hunting today in Solhaven and at the spider temple. I'll keep at it.
Re: I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/18/2017 10:47 AM CST
It's going a lot better now. I'm getting used to the spells and open with 1602, 14 or even divine strike. I'm using this successfully against warfarers that are lower level, but less successfully against bandits. Same for shield bash. Just going to keep practicing. Also able to get AS self spelled and signed to 300 and keep it up. I've really like getting this mace out and using it. Keeping the Morning Start blessed and fighting mostly with the acid flaring mace.

Thanks for the tips. Going to level up to 29 today and I have one fixskills left. Might come back and ask questions about using that.

You swing a pearl-inlaid black alloy mace at a krolvin warfarer!
AS: +288 vs DS: +174 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +34 = +179
... and hit for 36 points of damage!
Mighty blow cracks several ribs.

Your black alloy mace releases a spray of acid!

... 35 points of damage!
The krolvin warfarer screams! The krolvin warfarer's right leg is reduced to a puddle of bubbling slime!
The krolvin warfarer glances down at his mangled right leg and falls over!
The krolvin warfarer is stunned!
R>
You swing a pearl-inlaid black alloy mace at a krolvin warfarer!
AS: +288 vs DS: +117 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +31 = +233
... and hit for 89 points of damage!
Awesome shot collapses a lung!
The krolvin warfarer rolls over on the floor and goes still.
The deep blue glow leaves a krolvin warfarer.
The bright luminescence fades from around a krolvin warfarer.
A krolvin warfarer recovers from being rebuked, regaining his composure.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
Re: I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/18/2017 11:26 AM CST
Good news! Enjoy!

-- Robert

Re: I hate my Paladin, but I still have hope 02/18/2017 12:34 PM CST
I may need a refresher on migration. I'm migrating out of dodge. I just leveled up but all those points are waiting to get assigned until my migration is done. Is that correct?

If I were to fixskils right now would it end the migration and put everything in the way I have it selected?

A second question I have is on spells. I'm darn tempted to drop MnS for Paladin base. Of course I don't have the weapon yet that I want to bond with so it's no hurry but if I did that I'd use skill goals, make all the changes I want to see then fixskills right?

As far as armor goes, I'm not sure yet what to do. I may just leave it and not train armor for a while until I catch up. Mostly because I don't have coins for Augmented Chain and I hate to scrounge up the money through simucoins or a locker sale for a temporary set of armor. It's really tempting to get those points back though.

Shoot, thought of another question. Getting ready to do more hunting on the glacier. Any idea how much survival he needs to walk through there without falling a lot? I'll put his stats below also.

(at level 29), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 177 77
Shield Use.........................| 150 50
Combat Maneuvers...................| 120 30
Blunt Weapons......................| 160 60
Ambush.............................| 90 20
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 50 10
Physical Fitness...................| 122 31
Dodging............................| 50 10
Harness Power......................| 114 28
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 30 6
Survival...........................| 10 2
Perception.........................| 50 10
Climbing...........................| 50 10
Swimming...........................| 50 10

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 3

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 26
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

91 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2017.

You started this migration period on Wednesday, 2/15/2017 at 19:48:57 EST. You have 27 days, 6 hours, 20 minutes remaining in your current 30 day migration period.

You're currently migrating at a rate of .010 skill points per pulse, and have converted 20.500 training points this migration period.

Further information can be found in the FAQs.
s>skill base
Wolve (at level 29), your base skill bonuses, ranks and goals are:
Skill Name | Actual Actual
| Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
Armor Use..........................| 177 77 77
Shield Use.........................| 150 50 60 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
Combat Maneuvers...................| 120 30 31 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
Blunt Weapons......................| 160 60 62 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
Ambush.............................| 90 20 20
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 50 10 10
Physical Fitness...................| 122 31 31
Dodging............................| 50 10.674 0 3 days, 18 hours, 42 minutes
Harness Power......................| 114 28 29 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 30 6 6
Survival...........................| 10 2 5 ASAP (will rise when points are available)
Perception.........................| 50 10 10
Climbing...........................| 50 10 10
Swimming...........................| 50 10 10

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 3 3

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 26 26

91 days remain until the annual FIXSKILLS is to be granted, on 05/20/2017.

You started this migration period on Wednesday, 2/15/2017 at 19:48:57 EST. You have 27 days, 6 hours, 20 minutes remaining in your current 30 day migration period.

You're currently migrating at a rate of .010 skill points per pulse, and have converted 20.500 training points this migration period.

Further information can be found in the FAQs.

Race: Giantman Profession: Paladin (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 94 (37) ... 94 (37)
Constitution (CON): 84 (27) ... 90 (30)
Dexterity (DEX): 78 (9) ... 78 (9)
Agility (AGI): 87 (13) ... 87 (13)
Discipline (DIS): 84 (17) ... 84 (17)
Aura (AUR): 67 (3) ... 67 (3)
Logic (LOG): 79 (9) ... 79 (9)
Intuition (INT): 60 (5) ... 60 (5)
Wisdom (WIS): 89 (19) ... 89 (19)
Influence (INF): 44 (2) ... 44 (2)
Mana: 91 Silver: 0