Starting Over 09/16/2016 09:59 AM CDT
So, I think I want to redo my Paladin because I think he has a terrible name. Only level 12, so not much of an investment. So I might as well see if I was onto a good plan with what I had.

Basically, I want to beat the crap out of undead and also use a shield. Chose Giantman for that reason, but if there's another race that would work, I'm open to it.

Stats at level 0:
Strength (STR): 30
Constitution (CON): 58
Dexterity (DEX): 77
Agility (AGI): 77
Discipline (DIS): 62
Aura (AUR): 82
Logic (LOG): 88
Intuition (INT): 64
Wisdom (WIS): 62
Influence (INF): 60

Merekin (at level 12), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 108 26
Shield Use.........................| 108 26
Combat Maneuvers...................| 62 13
Blunt Weapons......................| 108 26
Physical Fitness...................| 62 13
Dodging............................| 30 6
Harness Power......................| 58 12
Spirit Mana Control................| 35 7
Perception.........................| 20 4
Climbing...........................| 62 13
First Aid..........................| 54 11

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 1

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 12
Re: Starting Over 09/16/2016 10:01 AM CDT
VICIMER
So, I think I want to redo my Paladin because I think he has a terrible name. Only level 12, so not much of an investment.

Good to know I'm not the only person who does that. :)

GameMaster Estild
Re: Starting Over 09/16/2016 10:35 AM CDT
To this day, "making level 11" is the point at which my characters have "proven out", and I deem them to be keepers.

Dating back to when I re-rolled my very first Fighter, at 10th level, because I realized that literally everything he could do, a Thief could also do (for very similar Development Point cost)... and also train in (for much cheaper than the Fighter) Hide, Ambush, Disarm Traps, and Pick Locks, for a net savings of points.

Sure, I later rolled up another Fighter (when I had a good RP hook for him; and later, two more when I had good reasons) but in combat he/they was/were always a lot less effective than the Thief. Thank goodness for the CMan list and other recent improvements!
Re: Starting Over 09/16/2016 01:31 PM CDT
Darn, so I have to keep this guy, pet Krakii's decree.

In that case, on a completely unrelated note, I am going to roll up a brand new Paladin! Please see my previous completely unrelated post for possible stats and training plan!
Re: Starting Over 09/16/2016 01:52 PM CDT
Just my personal opinions,

Dump the dodge as you're training in shield and will one day be wearing full plate. It's not worth the cost. I would put these points into MoC to have 30 ranks by level 30 so you can do a 2 hit focused Mstrike and survive 2 - 3 mobs at once. At level 65 I have 55 ranks in MoC for a 3 hit focused Mstrike and will probably stay there till well after cap.

I think spirit mana control is another area to get rid of until after level 50 which is the earliest you can wear full plate armor without terrible spell hindrance. Once you get 150 armor use ranks at level 50 (and yes you have to sacrifice quite a bit of secondary skills to accomplish this, but man is it worth it) you can really start fleshing out your Paladin between level 50 and 60. With beseech and full plate at level 50 you really won't be experiencing many deaths at that point. I stopped training a few things 1x each level like combat maneuvers, shield use, weapons training, physical fitness, harness power, perception, and first aid in order to wear full plate, have 1635 for beseech, and 120 for lesser shroud at level 54 I believe. For me, it was worth missing out on +8 defense from shield use, and +10 attack from cm and weapons to gain +15DS/20TD from lesser shroud and all the spells in between (water walking to hunt in marsh keep for example).

I'd recommend these goals for spells:

Stop or get 1640 if you just have to have it.

Other than that the rest looks good to me so far.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Starting Over 09/16/2016 02:31 PM CDT
<poke> Silly giantman. :)

I was just waxing nostalgic.
Re: Starting Over 09/16/2016 02:49 PM CDT
>> <poke> Silly giantman. :)

>> I was just waxing nostalgic.

I can spend literally days pondering a character's name and personality before I'll even try rolling it up. Then, if I can't get the name I wanted, they might not get rolled up for quite some time until I can come up with another name that really fits / works for me.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Starting Over 09/16/2016 03:04 PM CDT
When I was rolling up my Two-Weapon 1HCrush Fighter, I was looking through various stuff--Okay, alright, I was slobbering over the powerful goodies in "Treasures of Middle-Earth" from Iron Crown--and wanted to name him after the whip used by the Balrog of Moria. (Which is a named weapon in MERP.)

Name was already taken. Dad-gum-it.
Re: Starting Over 09/16/2016 03:06 PM CDT
No, wait! <snap!>

That's what I did wind up naming him...

I wanted to name him 'Grond' (The Hammer of the Underworld [when used by Morgoth], see also the battering ram that broke into Minas Tirith [when used by Sauron]). THAT was the name that was already took.
Re: Starting Over 09/16/2016 08:13 PM CDT
Halfling paladins are one of the best race/prof combinations in the game.

Paladins don't need AS. Speed and massive elemental TD is sweeter.
Re: Starting Over 09/17/2016 07:58 AM CDT
I'd have to agree. Only trouble I encounter as a shield using Paladin is with maneuvers and elemental TD.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

Re: Starting Over 09/17/2016 09:46 AM CDT
>> I'd have to agree. Only trouble I encounter as a shield using Paladin is with maneuvers and elemental TD.

Longer term, as a shield using paladin you have an additional TD buffing resource at your disposal.

T5 Ensorcelled armor +10 TD
T5 Ensorcelled shield +10 TD

+20 goes a long way towards addressing this issue!

I did have TD issues when I first visited the rift and that's how I addressed them.
I haven't noticed maneuvers being a horrible issue to date though.

-- Robert

Re: Starting Over 09/17/2016 03:46 PM CDT
Appreciate the advice, but I have a Halfling Wizard and that's enough hairy feet for me.
Re: Starting Over 09/17/2016 05:34 PM CDT
I went human primarily to support the character background I had in mind but I LOVE all the health he has. Between 1616 and a rank in Combat Toughness he has 222 Health. That is significantly more than most of my characters have and makes him very crunchy in combination with the plate armor and shield. he usually only dies to (infrequently) from random lucky crits of some sort or another.

-- Robert

Re: Starting Over 09/17/2016 10:44 PM CDT
Looks like I'll be going with this:

Armor 3x
Shield 2x
Blunt 2X
MOC 1x
PF 1x
Harness 1x
Spells 1X
Climb/Swim as needed
Re: Starting Over 09/19/2016 03:44 AM CDT
>Between 1616 and a rank in Combat Toughness he has 222 Health.

LOL. My halfling paladin has 176 health I think, without even using Toughness. CON and Max Health enhancives are dirt cheap. Paladins are pretty funny in that sense.
Re: Starting Over 09/20/2016 02:46 PM CDT
176 is decent as well. Most of my characters run around 130 or so health.

I don't use many enhancives at all but that would be a good way to buff your halfling paladin!

-- Robert

Re: Starting Over 10/01/2016 07:12 PM CDT
Got a few armor and shield points now- what is recommended for armor and shield skill?
Re: Starting Over 10/01/2016 07:30 PM CDT
Armor Fluidity is the only real armor option for paladins.

I'll post my shield training when I have an opportunity to log in and pull it.

-- Robert

Re: Starting Over 10/01/2016 07:41 PM CDT
Tower shield focus and then prop up for both ranks. Prop up will negate a big chunk of the DS penalty for being proned, kneeling, or sitting. In my opinion it's the major reason to uses tower shield.

Re: Starting Over 10/01/2016 07:48 PM CDT
>shield info
Your Shield Specialization training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Tower Shield Focus tfocus 5
Shield Bash bash 5
Shield Push push 1
Prop Up prop 2
Shield Forward forward 2
Shield Spike Focus spikefocus 2
Shield Spike Mastery spikemastery 2
Block the Elements eblock 2
Protective Wall pwall 2

Available Shield Training Points: 6

I open with Shield Bash or Feint (CMAN) depending on what I am fighting. Block the elements (2 ranks) did wonders against fire mages. Spikemastery is just plain fun to have with a spiked shield. Protective Wall seems like a good investment for 10 points. My current goal is to train shield forward to rank 3 - worthwhile for me since I open with shield bash whenever feasible.

-- Robert

Re: Starting Over 10/01/2016 07:50 PM CDT
>> Tower shield focus and then prop up for both ranks. Prop up will negate a big chunk of the DS penalty for being proned, kneeling, or sitting. In my opinion it's the major reason to uses tower shield.

I believe you are referring to Protective Wall:

Description: You are a tower of steel and know how to share your strength to best cover the temporary vulnerabilities of those around you.
Mechanics: At Rank 1, you halve the Defensive Strength (DS) penalty imposed on stunned, webbed, immobile, unconscious, rooted, or prone group members. At Rank 2, this benefit also applies to yourself.

-- Robert

Re: Starting Over 10/01/2016 08:50 PM CDT
Derp. You are correct sir. Protective wall is what I meant to suggest.