Shield maneuvers 02/15/2016 12:22 PM CST
Returned a month or two back on my 78 paladin, kind of at a loss for what to do with my shield maneuvers. Any suggestions? This is all the further I've gotten.

Raliver, your Shield Specialization training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Tower Shield Focus tfocus 5
Prop Up prop 3
Protective Wall pwall 2

Available Shield Training Points: 72
Re: Shield maneuvers 02/15/2016 01:05 PM CST
Here is my current shield training at 81:

Shield Bash bash 5
Prop Up prop 2
Shield Forward forward 1
Shield Spike Focus spikefocus 2
Shield Spike Mastery spikemastery 2
Block the Elements eblock 2
Protective Wall pwall 2

Available Shield Training Points: 6

I originally had Shield Bash as a CMAN and then moved it over via a FIXSKILLS once I had enough free shield points. When I made the switch, I used the new pile of available CMAN points to learn FEINT.

While maybe not super powerful, spikemastery is really a lot of fun given I spend most of my time running around in offensive. I've had critters impale themselves and die on my shield while just standing there more than a few times. Having a spike on your shield is also a nice benefit when using shield bash. I highly recommend getting a spiked eonake (or otherwise holy) tower shield and keeping 1604 cast on it!

Block the elements was very useful when fighting fire mages but I haven't really seen much use for it since then - I may re-evaluate at cap depending on where / what I end up hunting but will leave it for now. 2 ranks was more than sufficient for the fire mages.

For now, at cap I plan to have the following:

Shield Bash bash 5
Shield Push push 1
Prop Up prop 2
Shield Forward forward 3
Shield Spike Focus spikefocus 2
Shield Spike Mastery spikemastery 2
Block the Elements eblock 2
Protective Wall pwall 2
Steely Resolve resolve 2
Phalanx phalanx 1

I played around with Shield Push for awhile back when Shield Maneuvers first came out. It was enough fun that I added a rank of it back into my cap training plan but not something that I was able to make good use of.

Likewise, I had Steely Resolve for a short while but didn't find that many situations where I actually used it. I'd probably like this CMAN better if it activated on STUN or something. Once I train it back in again I may play around with it in combo with (the now working) 1608-Beacon of Courage.

Hope that helps!

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."
Re: Shield maneuvers 02/15/2016 01:40 PM CST
Thanks for the tips. I was actually looking at shield spike mastery/focus with adding bash. Unfortunately, I do not have a spiked or sancted shield, will have to keep my eyes open for one I guess. Adding bash and shield forward may be helpful in the intermediary.
Re: Shield maneuvers 02/15/2016 01:50 PM CST
>> Unfortunately, I do not have a spiked or sancted shield, will have to keep my eyes open for one I guess.

For some reason holy tower shields are exceedingly rare in this game.

The sancted tower shield is the hard part to come by (I ended up having to acquire a holy shield and having it re-sized to tower via the fairly rare shield re-sizing service). Once you have acquired a holy tower shield, getting spikes added is a reasonably achievable goal thanks to Felthrop!

Alternatively keep an eye out for (an also super rare) sanctification raffle where you can get your ordinary tower shield sanctified. Best of luck in your quest whatever direction it turns!

It would be super cool if there was a paladin quest to have their shield sanctified.

-- Robert

Bazzelwyn says, "Maul maul maul maul maul maul maul."
Bazzelwyn says, "The answer is maul."