cm x1
TWC x1
PF x1
dodge x2
pally spells x.50 ( maybe less )
HP x.25
Lores Blessing x.50
summon x.50

Now in my head I think this will work. All extra TP's will be going into dodge. I'll pick up MOC as I can. Most likely stop at 15 ranks. Any thoughts or problems I don't for see?
Re: Thoughts 01/17/2015 09:01 AM CST

Oh He's a dwarf and I let Simu generate my stats. I'm planning on changing my srtats for growth when my 30 days is up.
Re: Thoughts 01/17/2015 10:56 AM CST
Purposely no armor in your training? And I'm too lazy but you'll probably want to compare the cost of dodge to TWC. At .5x twc you get a +10 DS but ranks after that are only giving you .1 DS. I'd also suggest seeing what kind of DS and other benefits you get from spells and compare that to going above 1x dodge. You'd likely find that you can load up on spells now and get more dodge later.
Re: Thoughts 01/17/2015 12:10 PM CST

.5 training in pally spells and no armor is a big nono. At least get 1 spell per level and keep 2xing in armor and PT (health). Dodge x 2 is okay though I, myself just do 1x. CMing x 1 is a bit expensive. I'm not sure why you are wanting to x1 in TWC when you are 2xing in brawling.

Lores are nice, but they should also be secondary / fillers

Maybe try this:

Armor x 2
PT x 2
Weapon x 2
TWC x 2 (assung a pally can do this x 2 but if not then don't bother with this)
Dodge x 1
Spell x 1
Harness Power x 1 (For mana)

Fillers:
CMs
Climbing
Swimming
Lore
Multi Ops
First Aid
Mana Share

Later on in life you won't be using spells so much nor will you need to keep training in armor.. but that is WAY down the road after you are in Plate and have at least 35 trains in Paladin Spells and whatever amount of spirit spells you'd like.

Hope that helps or at least gives a good guide line. You have to remember a paladin is a Divine Champion of an Arkati and thus use their spells.

If it helps: This is me at almost 87 trains (1k til).

Falvicar (at level 86), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 276 176
Combat Maneuvers...................| 189 89
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 276 176
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 160 60
Physical Fitness...................| 276 176
Dodging............................| 188 88
Magic Item Use.....................| 90 20
Harness Power......................| 188 88
Spirit Mana Control................| 102 24
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 140 40
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 70 15
Perception.........................| 120 30
Climbing...........................| 140 40
Swimming...........................| 140 40
First Aid..........................| 140 40

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 30

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 40
Training Points: 60 Phy 0 Mnt (272 Phy converted to Mnt)

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Thoughts 01/17/2015 01:34 PM CST

If you want armor just get 8 ranks of armor and wear double leathers.
I see you getting those advocates for heavier armors already but those people tend to just look at the DS portion of dodging being lost when you train in heavier armors.
The problem with their assessments are always they never take into account you are also decreasing your evade % chance when you train in those heavier armors. So Robes with 1x dodge would give you 5% evasion. Plate with 1x dodge would give you 1%.
Most of the time they will also argue that you take hits alot better in plate, however when you're in lighter armors you get hit less. Only thing you have to really worry about is Spells, but with the release of Ensorcell the CvA problem is not so much a problem anymore.
So go for whatever armor you feel comfortable in I say.
Re: Thoughts 01/17/2015 01:48 PM CST

Thank you for the feedback everyone. Just a couple of questions. WHat is Ensorcell, and how do I choose a Diety?
Re: Thoughts 01/17/2015 02:06 PM CST
>>Thank you for the feedback everyone. Just a couple of questions. WHat is Ensorcell, and how do I choose a Diety?<<

Ensorcell is a spell sorcerers have that can be used on shields, armors and weapons. There are 5 tiers. Each tier gives you a CvA bonus of 2 when put on armor or shields so a maximum of 10 on each. The price of getting an ensorcell depends on tier you are getting.
You can choose a deity by using the CONVERT command.
Re: Thoughts 01/17/2015 09:43 PM CST
If you want armor just get 8 ranks of armor and wear double leathers.
I see you getting those advocates for heavier armors already but those people tend to just look at the DS portion of dodging being lost when you train in heavier armors.
The problem with their assessments are always they never take into account you are also decreasing your evade % chance when you train in those heavier armors. So Robes with 1x dodge would give you 5% evasion. Plate with 1x dodge would give you 1%.
Most of the time they will also argue that you take hits alot better in plate, however when you're in lighter armors you get hit less. Only thing you have to really worry about is Spells, but with the release of Ensorcell the CvA problem is not so much a problem anymore.
So go for whatever armor you feel comfortable in I say.

A paladin not wearing plate or just wearing leathers is just.. silly (My opinion). Personally, if you're not wanting to wear heavy armor then I'd stick with a monk or a rogue as they would "dodge" the hits. A paladin with crit padded plate and redux is a walking tank.. you can afford to take the hits and then cast yourself 1607 shortly after a Beseech (1635). Without plate, when (Not if but when) you get hit, you will be stunned a lot longer and take more damage. A paladin isn't designed to play "dodge". The only time a paladin wouldn't be in plate / hauberk / breast plate is while they are young in trainings but that will catch up them in the long run as they train.

Re: Thoughts 01/21/2015 08:35 PM CST

A paladin not wearing plate or just wearing leathers is just.. silly (My opinion). Personally, if you're not wanting to wear heavy armor then I'd stick with a monk or a rogue as they would "dodge" the hits. A paladin with crit padded plate and redux is a walking tank.. you can afford to take the hits and then cast yourself 1607 shortly after a Beseech (1635). Without plate, when (Not if but when) you get hit, you will be stunned a lot longer and take more damage. A paladin isn't designed to play "dodge". The only time a paladin wouldn't be in plate / hauberk / breast plate is while they are young in trainings but that will catch up them in the long run as they train.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

True to a point, but then again many classes aren't designed to do certain things but they still go other routes.
Sure I get get that a paladin is desiged to be a walking tank, but if you're gonna be a tank then it would only make more sense to just go sword or bashing and board as that is more of a tank thing and closer to what paladins are designed for.
However when you are talking about going without a shield and doing a two handed or TWC build you are closer to a DPS build and your defense is essentially dodge. The whole point with these builds is to kill first before you get hit in the first place. Sure in lighter armor you will get stunned longer and take more damage, but i think the risk is well worth the reward, also take into consideration stance dancing and hunting wisely. The best bonus to lighter armor is definately the lower manuever penalties as well. Plus you can also pad lighter armors as well, it's not like plate is the only armor in the game that can be... :)
Re: Thoughts 01/21/2015 11:55 PM CST
That's just it though.. There's no real "DPS". You have 5 second (average) RT. You will get hit, not if, not when. Thus the paladin should ignore dodge and work towards heavier armor. Not to mention it helps on Redux... But tis your own choice at the end how to train a paladin. My theory: When you get to about 40 trains (being optimistic) it'll catch up to you as you'll find the critters have a lot more health and require a lot more hits to be placed upon them and I think that's about the beginning phase where you see combat manuevers used by the critters if I'm not mistaken. Things such as Roa'ters going under ground and then hitting you. Yes, dodge will help you avoid some of it, but not all the time thus why the armor is needed. I very seriously doubt a paladin can take a 300 roll, and take 40 damage but only be in padded robes and of course.. not stunned. Yes, Beseech.. but with plate you wouldn't have to and thus save the mana. Yes, my build is a 2 hander weapon, but you'll see I do have dodge but I 1x it. Arguably I probably could start 2xing it if I really wanted to, but I see no point in it.

Re: Thoughts 01/24/2015 09:42 AM CST
here is my thought. If you really want to brawl, i would suggest

2x armor dont be in a huge hurry into plate as higher armor = higher mm penalty that cant be trained off.

2x shield use...much higher ds, no need for dodge, alot of cmans and shield mans to pick from included shielded brawler plus get a sancted shield cast 1604 at it and shield bash with "flare"

2x brawl well just because thats what you would do

1.5x cman or more if you can because cm is directly related to your UAF

1.5x pf you will want stamina for cmans/shield mans/ society benefits if you use GoS

1x HP you will want mana for spells and society benefits

.8-.9 x paladin spells. i personally find the benefits of training only in paladin circle and using lores are a more cost effective way for ds/td than training minor circle, plus the added benefit to cs is huge.

lores 1x
(24 religon first)
(10 summoning)
(then blessing for life) the blessing benefits to you ds/td/shield blocking ability, are huge IMO

.5x climb swim perception.

this is almost my exact training plan except i use ohe/shield instead of brawl/shield and i hunt self spelled in high casting areas (im lvl 60) (the citadel in rr and skull temple in tallistim) i can hunt with maneuvers and weapon when im low on mana or with spells when im low on stamina due to higher cs from spell training and am in GoS
Re: Thoughts 01/26/2015 08:25 AM CST
>.8-.9 x paladin spells. i personally find the benefits of training only in paladin circle and using lores are a more cost effective way for ds/td than training minor circle, plus the added benefit to cs is huge.

>lores 1x
>(24 religon first)
>(10 summoning)
>(then blessing for life) the blessing benefits to you ds/td/shield blocking ability, are huge IMO

This is similar to what I'm doing now, much to my surprise. I got to 1640 and stopped training spells, mainly to get into plate. Now I've been training lores instead of 100s. The only MnS spell I really want is 120, which while I'm sure to get at some point, I haven't been rushing towards.

But, I'm straight training to 40 Summoning Ranks. The benefits to 1605 and 1630 are quite good. The 9 ranks for 1625 with 1615 is very solid. Having 1603 give 0 hindrance is also nice. Mostly, I want to see how I like 1620 self-cast.

Either way, I have a fixskill to burn between now and May, so if I dislike this path (either the specific lores, or I decide it really is finally time to learn MnS), then I can go that more traditional route.

Otherwise, I like this last proposed training path the most. A brawling paladin should basically be a sword/board type, with a brawling weapon. At least 5 ranks of MOC is rather essential. Though, maybe more with such a low base weapon RT.

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Thoughts 01/27/2015 07:29 PM CST

i did the 40 ranks for a while just for the same reasons you mentioned, well in 3 levels mid 60's i never died. so i trained it away for the blessing lore
Re: Thoughts 01/28/2015 09:50 AM CST
I'll admit, Daid, I'm toying with the idea of getting 40 in Summoning although I'm currently at 15. What I don't know is if this would work at The Rift and where I should anchor. But.. I rarely die there anyway so it's kinda moot <shrug> although it would come handy if I died on the 5th plane and thus could avoid getting all those needed scars and having to eat many herbs just to escape from Birthing Sands and back to the Icemule or Pinefar to heal up, recover, and restock on herbs.

Re: Thoughts 01/28/2015 12:26 PM CST
I'm not at all sure Summoning Lore is the right call for my paladin, but I decided to run with it.

I actually had planned to go for Religion for the extra raises, Zealot, and those really cool titles.

Blessing is also really very solid. Those benefits can weigh against the value of training to 120 for the DS/TD perks.

Overall, the Paladin Base is just amazing with the wonderful lore options. Any time you feel crunched between lots of appealing options is a sign of wonderful design.

As to the self-1620, it's for the Citadel. That can be a tough place for rescues because people cap-out of RR after that. That and ridiculous DF.

Re: Thoughts 01/28/2015 01:46 PM CST

just yesterday i made the decision to leave RR after hunting non-stop for 45 minutes in the cellar and only ever having reached muddled. as sword and board 25 ranks rel, 10 ranks summon, 31 ranks blessing, self spelled with guards. i was nicked just about every place you could possibly be nicked, 3 minor bleeders, but very much alive
Re: Thoughts 01/29/2015 01:59 AM CST
My paladin is just getting into the Citadel. Last night at level 48 he did his first solo Citadel bounties and after 1 dangerous apprentice and a culling task, he had no more than a single minor leg injury.

But yeah, you can only stretch hunting swordsmen so far post-Citadel. It was okay for my sorcerer since I could one-shot implode them almost as soon as they spawned, but even that gets very tedious to get a full mind past about level 66. I think I used to get a camp opened to get fried, and then I'd just stay saturated on Gift, and I could stretch staying in RR to 70, asking for easier and easier bounties.

Probably your next obvious choice is the krag slopes, hidden plateau, and labyrinth in the Landing. That'll get you to late 70s.

Re: Thoughts 01/29/2015 01:08 PM CST

actually i find hunting the slopes and hidden plateau kinda boring, so i am heading to the skull temple for a while, then i will likely come back for a few levels of mino magi.
Re: Thoughts 01/29/2015 01:23 PM CST
The magi (maybe it's just me) didn't seem to be spawning much when I hunted there, usually twas just warriors. I went from Bonespear / Luukos Temple to Minos and then after I didn't learn much from Minos I went to Plane 1 of the Rift until and just gradually went up the planes from there as I saw fit and able to do. Right now, at 87, I'm handling Plane 3 by myself. When grouped, I can handle Plane 5.

Re: Thoughts 02/01/2015 07:53 PM CST
>actually i find hunting the slopes and hidden plateau kinda boring, so i am heading to the skull temple for a while, then i will likely come back for a few levels of mino magi.

>The magi (maybe it's just me) didn't seem to be spawning much when I hunted there, usually twas just warriors.

This is basically true. In my experience, the magi do not spawn in the maze that leads out of the Labyrinth, only in the other four. Also, the number of total magi which can spawn I believe is more limited (because of the number of spawning rooms). So if you want to hunt magi explicitly, you have to search for them. They especially seem to like spawning in the lower maze through the archway. They might also not spawn in the western maze either. Note, however, that the color-coding for spawning on the map included with Lich is definitely erroneous; the top maze leading out has warriors and lesser minotaurs, not magi. Also, on the staircase area before the labyrinth, I think only lesser minotaur spawn. Finally, in the main plateau, dwellers, yeti, and lesser minotaur all spawn I think.

Of course, that analysis is just my personal experience...but something about those maps is not right.

Re: Thoughts 02/02/2015 07:38 AM CST

Went to the skull temple, and am tearing them up. They swarm nicely at times, making it fairly fast paced, yet manageable for a solo hunter.
Re: Thoughts 02/02/2015 02:57 PM CST
Wait til you get to the Rift :-)