Brawling Pally? 01/07/2015 12:03 PM CST

Has any tried a brawler pally?
Re: Brawling Pally? 01/08/2015 10:39 AM CST
Seems to me if you put some emphasis on also using brawling weapons and not only UAC, it can probably work well.

I understand one of the troubles with Monks is the low TD, which maybe is less a problem for paladins.

As far as UAC, it seems people like it a lot from ambushing; however, since Paladins have high costs for ambushing and hiding, and can only single-train, probably that approach would not be so successful.

Only my two cents, as I have no personal experience with UAC.

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Brawling Pally? 01/10/2015 02:16 PM CST
That's a thought. It's not like you can't already put your opponent in a kneeling position and possible stun them with Divine Strike but I don't know how much that helps with brawling and I'd be under the assumption you would be doing Voln Fu and likely a Kai paladin based off that.

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Brawling Pally? 01/10/2015 05:18 PM CST
>>Voln Fu <<

No longer exists; replaced by the UAC (aka UCS). Totally different mechanics. Best used from ambush.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Brawling Pally? 01/11/2015 02:46 AM CST
>Totally different mechanics. Best used from ambush.

Yar. And paladins basically blow at ambushing from hiding. Try being quiet and hiding whilst also being a loud mouthed, violent zealot.

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Brawling Pally? 01/11/2015 08:39 AM CST
While paladins likely have the highest potential UAF its less of a factor in unarmed combat than MM. Likewise, they dont have access to the UAC masteries to raise MM like the squares do which would make open UAC even more painful. Otherwise i'd imagine they would do as well the other classes when using UAC in the open meaning slower combat on average compared to every other combat form available.

The Paladin's unique advantages of massive attack strength and sanctified weapons is lessened when translated to UAC. However, its definitely possible, effective even, in some situations long as you are patient.
Re: Brawling Pally? 01/11/2015 12:55 PM CST
>> they dont have access to the UAC masteries to raise MM like the squares do which would make open UAC even more painful.<<

Hang on; Paladins are basically holy warriors with spells; they don't get access to punch/kick mastery and the like? Well, that certainly would reduce effectiveness even further :P

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Brawling Pally? 06/03/2015 06:34 AM CDT

I did a brawling pally till 90 where it became fairly hard to kill stuff because of issues warding stuff and stuff wearing full plate.
basically you want to focus on blessings lore, at least 1x Harness power up to 101 ranks because you'll need lots of mana.
Get some good chain hauberk. forget about plate. you need absolutely lowest spell hinderance you can get, and shielded brawler is a TP intensive build because you need more cman, spells and lores.

get some sancted brawling gloves and boots(optional) and a sancted (or bonded perfect) knuckle-blade. Don't use crit weighted, not for this build, unless it's just an outstanding amout of weighting. flares are optional but if you use a perfect or sancted knuckle-blade you get double plasma flares. this will give you 2 different chances for a single or double plasma flare on a 3 second punch, which is your main attack.

Since you're in hauberk your MM penalty is a little lower than in full plate, which is also good.
If you decide you want to zealot, get a smaller (medium is ideal) spiked shield for less of a MM penalty and get the shield cmans for reactive spikes. focus on the offensive.
If you decide to use 1609 instead, go all out and get a spiked tower shield and do the same. the MM penalty is a bit bigger and you'll need to train shielded brawler to get rid of it, but it's so worth it.

get both the gloves and knuckle-blade ensorcelled so you have 2 chances to restore stamina/mana/health on each punch.
use 1618 when you can so you have a chance for the attack to flare and minimum HDW added to the attack.

When you're fighting, if you plan on alot of solo hunting, which works well, set up the critter with web (118) and punch away. if you stay away from fire flares, the critter stays webbed usually till dead and you don't have to worry much about getting swung at.
Haste is essential. find a good wizard and have em make you some wearable haste imbeds or some of that wonderful bloodriven scotch that has 20 sips of haste. stowing your weapon isn't a big deal to take a drink of haste because you're a brawler.

To sum up, your flares are key.
double plasma from the sancted gauntlest with a cast of 1604 on them
double plasma from your knuckle-blade
both ensorcelled for 2x chance at heals and such, not to mention +5-25 AS or +3-15 CS (depending on ensorcell tier, and no, if both flare they don't stack or last for two swings but you do get regen from both.)
flares +HDW from 1618
other pally benefits like 1605 and such help too. If you decide to train summoning lore past 19 for more benefit to 1605, be aware that web will not work for you unless you stance down so zealot is not an option if you want to web, which is super effective and how i built nairdin to 90 hunting 15-20 levels above him, in nelemar on the third floor at 87 when i decided UAF was no longer the best choice for that hunting ground. it worked well in the rift and other areas though. never tried it in OTF.
voln is also awesome for a brawler, hunting non-corp undead kai's strike is brawling based and makes them crittable. plasma flares are really effective against most of them and death crit often.

you're punching hasted in 1 second, with chances for up to 5 damaging flares, 2 healing flares and your foe is stuck in a web with greatly reduced defense and no chance for evade/block/parry if you decide to add mstrike in there, which is fun because you do a little extra damage over punching against those pesky non-crittables.

Hope this info from my experience as a brawling pally from release day to november 2014 helps.
~Nairdin
Re: Brawling Pally? 08/10/2015 09:58 PM CDT

Is there an easy option for sancted gloves/boots? Or knuckle-duster?
Re: Brawling Pally? 08/10/2015 10:07 PM CDT
>> Is there an easy option for sancted gloves/boots? Or knuckle-duster?

a pair of thick leather gauntlets with polished eonake studs
a pair of thick eonake-toed leather boots

These were sold off the shelf at EG last year. Maybe they'll make a return visit this year.

-- Robert

"All wizards are beginners; some of us have just been beginning longer!"
Re: Brawling Pally? 08/10/2015 10:14 PM CDT

Would be nice to have some option - would much prefer something off the town store shelves like other weapon type. Brawling pally has me very interested with all these flares options.