TWC Paladin? 06/27/2014 12:53 AM CDT
Has anyone wasted any time trying to make a Two Weapon Combat Paladin work? It seems somewhat feasible, albeit a bit tight for training points.

At Level 50, I was thinking something like this:

Armor Use: 90
Edged/Blunt: 102 (2x)
TWC: 102 (2x)
CM: 51 (1x)
MOC: 51 (1x)
PF: 51 (1x)
Dodging: 51 (1x)
Climbing: 12 (.25x)
Perception: 12 (.25x)
Harness: 51 (1x)

Spell Research
Minor Spirit: 7
Paladin: 35

Armor use I would hold at 90 for a while and wear a decent MBP. I'd stop MOC at either 55 or 60 ranks. I'd not research spells for a few levels to pick up some Lore and SMC.

Thoughts? Comments? Someone tell me what I'm missing.

Cheers,
Aenternoll
Re: TWC Paladin? 06/27/2014 05:33 AM CDT
It has been done, but it is very uncommon. I've seen it at the cap with a zealoting giantman paladin and was pretty darn impressive. That being said, it is going to be incredibly point intensive before finishing armor and the basic spells. Given the yearly fixskills now, I think I would start out with an easier build and work my way into TWC at some point between level 50 and 75.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: TWC Paladin? 06/27/2014 11:49 AM CDT
>Thoughts? Comments? Someone tell me what I'm missing.

Lores to make 1605 and 1617 better, since this is really how you can shine via this route. I was also never a big fan of approaching MOC as a per-level skill but a threshold skill. Offensively, there are thresholds at 5, 15, 30, 35, 55, and 60 in this range.

But of course, clearly I put this on the professional KP for a reason:

"As Paladins have the highest training cost for Two Weapon Combat among all the other squares and semis, they are not necessarily the best suited for the skill."

Still, it can be devastating with Arm of the Arkati and Zealot one supposes.

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: TWC Paladin? 06/30/2014 01:25 PM CDT

I'll admit, I toy with this idea time to time but I'd prefer to still be able to use my katana as a Two Hander in some situations. However; it simply costs too much at level 80 to find anything decent and even then... do I REALLY want to wield two katanas at once? I think the katana is best used as a two hander and really don't think it's worthwhile to wield two of them and even then it's just a better to get a gauche modified to be something else that makes sense with a katana in the other hand though no spell asides zealot really promotes it. I still think the Divine Shield spell should check for a shield and if no shield then to improve parry but that's just my two silvers worth and should be discussed in the spell section
Re: TWC Paladin? 06/30/2014 06:22 PM CDT
>>do I REALLY want to wield two katanas at once?<<

CAN you really wield two katanas at once? I was under the impression not, but I admit I have never tried it.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: TWC Paladin? 06/30/2014 06:27 PM CDT
Meh; the documentation isn't clear on this question. But even if it were possible, you would have to train in THW, OHE and TWC skills, which would seem prohibitive, to say the least.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: TWC Paladin? 06/30/2014 07:28 PM CDT

It's possible. GRIP command to change to OHE

Some say there's a new style katana but I don't know...

Even then... I still dont think it's worthwhile anyway. As you said, you give up WAY to much
Re: TWC Paladin? 06/30/2014 08:13 PM CDT
You can't use two katanas that inspect as katanas, but you can use one that inspects as a katana with another older weapon that inspects as something else or just two of the older weapons.
Re: TWC Paladin? 06/30/2014 08:41 PM CDT
Has anyone wasted any time trying to make a Two Weapon Combat Paladin work? It seems somewhat feasible, albeit a bit tight for training points.
At Level 50, I was thinking something like this:
Armor Use: 90
Edged/Blunt: 102 (2x)
TWC: 102 (2x)
CM: 51 (1x)
MOC: 51 (1x)
PF: 51 (1x)
Dodging: 51 (1x)
Climbing: 12 (.25x)
Perception: 12 (.25x)
Harness: 51 (1x)
Spell Research
Minor Spirit: 7
Paladin: 35
Armor use I would hold at 90 for a while and wear a decent MBP. I'd stop MOC at either 55 or 60 ranks. I'd not research spells for a few levels to pick up some Lore and SMC.
Thoughts? Comments? Someone tell me what I'm missing.
Cheers,
Aenternoll

Oof, this is a tough one. I can see why you would want 1635 over 120. But maybe do up to 1625 then try to get up to at least 120? After that I would go up to 1635. My reasoning... 1630 and 1635 are great spells that I am sure you would use quite often with this build but most of the spells up to 120 are fairly useful as well. Its a tough call. If you did go this route after 1635 I'd go to 140.

Someone else mentioned you might want to train MOC in thresholds. If you did it that way you could switch between spell goals and MOC threshold goals. In fact by 50 you may just want to stick with sitting at 35 ranks of MOC until you get your spells where you want them. 2 focused strikes, 4 open strikes, and FOF of 3 is pretty decent when you consider you'll also be using cmans and 1602/1614/1615 and possibly other attack spells from the 100s.

Seeing perception so low makes me a little sad. If you 1x perception and 1x CM you can be fairly successful with open ambush. I never trained in ambush but with 1x in both I can ambush head to great effect especially when the target is incapacitated in some way (stun, kneel, knockdown).

Hope my rambling had some helpful points to it. Good luck and post some combat clips!

Chad, player of a few
Re: TWC Paladin? 06/30/2014 10:39 PM CDT
>>You can't use two katanas that inspect as katanas, but you can use one that inspects as a katana with another older weapon that inspects as something else or just two of the older weapons.<<

Ah, I thought not. Most of the older GS3 katanas were falchion based, and unweighted, and hence are pure OHEs.

Re: TWC Paladin? 07/18/2014 02:02 PM CDT

Makes no sense still to me... both katanas I have are hybrid - can be either two hander or a one hander and I can use them both at once...

Maybe I'm missing something or overlooked?

But it doesn't matter.. I'm just curious though I have no intention to use two katanas at once. It would costs too much and for little outcome other than trying to be unique.. not to mention handicapping one self.
Re: TWC Paladin? 07/18/2014 05:31 PM CDT
Some weapon types (spear, trident, whip, whip-blade, katana) are simply not able to be used with TWC. This is intended although I think misguided.

AIM: GS4Menos

>Here lies the formless world we´re living in
>Gravity is finally giving in
>High altitudes and still upward we go
>I was never meant to lead but to follow
Re: TWC Paladin? 07/19/2014 07:01 AM CDT
>Oof, this is a tough one. I can see why you would want 1635 over 120. But maybe do up to 1625 then try to get up to at least 120?

Belated reply, but this won't work. You need to know up to the 1629 training to get rank 5 bonding. Stopping at 1625 means you can only bond to T1 level, which might be worthwhile if you really need something sanctified, but otherwise cut it at 1620.

Also, 1625 seems especially sad for two-weapon combat...

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: TWC Paladin? 08/04/2014 02:06 PM CDT

Would a splitting weapon mitigate this, as it helps warrior bonding? Double guiding light flares... although infuse could be problematic.

(Not planning on it myself)

Morden, player of.