Back, retrained....advice? 09/24/2013 09:36 PM CDT

So I just unbonded my 2x oldstyle claid and got myself a 5x perfect maul with max lightness...decided to use my fixskills.

Falicor (at level 56), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 240 140
Combat Maneuvers...................| 205 105
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 216 116
Ambush.............................| 105 25
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 50 10
Physical Fitness...................| 158 58
Dodging............................| 142 42
Harness Power......................| 122 31
Spirit Mana Control................| 5 1
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 15 3
Perception.........................| 70 15
Climbing...........................| 105 25
Swimming...........................| 70 15

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 3

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 35

Disarm Weapon disarm 3
Feint feint 4
Specialization I wspec1 4
Surge of Strength surge 1
Cunning Defense cdefense 4

Available Combat Maneuver Training Points: 10

Not sure how hard to go on the CMAN at this point, kind of want to get PF up to 1.5-2x for the redux, should I drop CM to 1.5x? Will I be able to open aim with this maul if I let it get any farther down?

Anything else I should plan for? Just waiting to fully bond this maul right now and all that cool stuff.

-Falicor
Re: Back, retrained....advice? 09/24/2013 10:35 PM CDT
As a general rule I train 1x and 2x at level+1.

This means at your level I would have 57 ranks of 1x skills and 114 ranks of 2x skills.

Except for Harness Power which I keep at the same rank as my level.

I am a casting sword and board paladin so I can't give you advice as a two hander. There are plenty of active paladins who can though. Expect to hear from them soon.

From my experience, you can open ambush with 1x CM and 1x Perception with a decent amount of accuracy without any ambush training. Maybe 65%. That accuracy goes way up when you set-up your opponent via spell, 1614/1615 for a kneel or knockdown, or combat maneuvers like feint.

You may consider dropping SMC and SL:B for valuable MPs to use elsewhere.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Back, retrained....advice? 09/25/2013 08:29 AM CDT
It looks to me like you are light on defense. I would recommend at least 1x in Dodge at a minimum if you are going to use a 2-hander and am guessing you may find you want even more. Drop the CMANs down to 1.5x or even 1x - for the cost of CMANs as a Semi, you can get a lot more bang for your TPs in other areas. Push your HP to 1x so you can cast your spells more frequently, look at some base training in lores to boost your skills and abilities. Push your MOC higher so you can strike more targets or get in focused strikes on the same target (plus this will help your defense against crowds).

I play a sword and board paladin but that's what I would do if I was going the 2-hander route.

-- Robert

Inside a woven copper strand basket with a partially melted handle, you see an indigo shade-newt, a scattering of deathstone granules, a miniature house-shaped topiary, and a carved miniature twisted tree with a jagged burn mark down the trunk.
Re: Back, retrained....advice? 09/25/2013 11:09 PM CDT
Surprised that no polearm paladins have chimed in. I agree with Robert and held back because I am not twohanded.

I think you could 1x CM, Dodge, and perception and be fine with aimed ambush and DS. Put extra PTs into PF for Redux and valuable HP and Stamina points.

My view of the advantage to playing a paladin means being able to cast in full plate. Don't underestimate 1602/1614/1615/1630. Or the defense you get from 101/107/120 not to mention 140.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Back, retrained....advice? 09/29/2013 03:58 PM CDT
Not sure how hard to go on the CMAN at this point, kind of want to get PF up to 1.5-2x for the redux, should I drop CM to 1.5x? Will I be able to open aim with this maul if I let it get any farther down?

Anything else I should plan for? Just waiting to fully bond this maul right now and all that cool stuff.

-Falicor

I'm a giant, I struggle with 202 ranks of CM for aiming mauls at smaller creatures. I always aim for head/neck though, used to be leg/head so your mileage will vary depending on your pattern.

I actually never recommend a twohanded/polearm build for <80 paladins. TPs just get too tight and your ability to actually have fun diminishes due to the cookie-cutter feel. Where sword/board provides greater defense and opens up way more options.

That being said, there's not many real things, training-wise, to improve a thw build. PT gives you "redux" and stamina points. The potential redux gain is really hard to quantify for me, so I discount it in my considerations. The stamina only means one thing, I can occasionally do an extra mstrike, which will only matter if I'm hunting something that I don't need to use the stamina for feinting/surging instead. I found that once I hit 130 stamina I stopped worrying about stamina juggling.

If you've hit that point, then I'd actually expect you to get more bang for your buck to take up spells or CM, possibly MO to 35 ranks. Until you hit 120, spells are one of the best ways to improve your defense and add utility - assuming you 1x dodge already. CM provides cman points (more skills/utility), improves your cman defense/attacks, and increases your AS.

Also, it's been a while since I've had to worry about it, but I believe you should aim for 150 ranks in armor as a paladin for spell hinderance concerns.

Dgry