New monk question about fighting multiple mobs 05/01/2017 03:52 PM CDT
I am guessing that monks do not have much ability regarding crowd control.

I generally feel exposed when attacking will fighting multiple mobs. At low level it is not a problem. Going forward does it become a problem? Stance dancing and unarmed fighting would be very slow. I have noticed since I picked up first level of evasion mastery mobs are not hitting me often. Again I am concerned it is just not a problem because of low level.

How do older monks deal with multiple mobs? GOS missions seem especially difficult.

Re: New monk question about fighting multiple mobs 05/01/2017 04:24 PM CDT

Monks have a much greater ability to dodge melee, ranged, and bolt spells than most classes. Your primary weakness will be TD. So just take out, avoid, or disable any CS casters and you'll be fine.
Re: New monk question about fighting multiple mobs 05/02/2017 07:14 AM CDT
Apart from bandits, its a problem I reckon you have no good solution for other than RUN AWAY. (and then take them out one at a time as they come after you)

Monks have a DS advantage from mid-level to near cap that means being swung at is not a problem, and if there is nothing with a crit-kill ability from manoever or CS spell you can take on lots of them at once. However almost all hunting grounds have critters that you can't afford to let have an action on you in them, and you can't afford multiple active critters in the same room with you then.

Generally, if there are two critters in a room, don't go there. If a second walks in on your fight, you've normally got time for one attempt at controlling it before you need to run away (and train krynch or ki focus so its a good chance of success), but if two walk in, or your attempt whiffs, run away. I used PEER an awful lot, not just to avoid walking in on swarms, but so I knew where there was an empty room to run to.

Join Voln not GoS. You don't have multiple casters running in on you simultaneously all the time, and you do get the only crowd control ability available to a monk. Its too expensive in favor to make much use of, but for the situations I had to have crowd control, SYM SLEEP was it.

Group with someone that does have a crowd control ability, i.e. almost anyone else bar another monk. Bard or a wizard is particularly effective because it doesn't take much of a haste effect to turn krynch from not quite good enough to absolutely murderous in a swarmy area.
Re: New monk question about fighting multiple mobs 05/04/2017 10:01 PM CDT
I don't normally have an issue with crowd control. once you get enough moc and train in telepathy ranks you can mstrike non-stop with mind over body running and combine that with rolling krynch you will end up hunting alone a lot and using provoke. once you get enough spell ranks 1219 works rather well but I usually only use it if I am in a group for fun. I also made sure to get all 3 ranks of the masteries for grapple, kick, and punch. 135 ranks of moc is a great place to rest and finish training your other skills.
Re: New monk question about fighting multiple mobs 05/05/2017 05:33 AM CDT
>once you get enough spell ranks 1219 works rather well

What do you find is enough to qualify as working well? I estimated it at 1.5x (i.e. all spells in MnM and full LOG enhancement) and never tried to get close.
Re: New monk question about fighting multiple mobs 06/15/2017 04:09 PM CDT

As a Monk, I dont know that I ever run away. At some point, you'll realize UAC is good enough that using 102 doesnt hinder it, so your DS against multiple mobs will not really hurt too much, and you'll want to make use of MOC for UAC Multi strike.

As Trish pointed out, TD will by and far be the biggest problem you have to face.

Currently, At Cap, as a monk, I dont run from groups of like leveled mobs until they get to be greater than 10. Normally, with cman weave, and mstrikes, along with cman krynch, I can clean out a room of 10 mobs pretty quickly.

Run away? heh, yeah, right.

Russ
Re: New monk question about fighting multiple mobs 06/15/2017 08:47 PM CDT

Yeah td is the big issue. getting 36 ranks in monk spells and 40 ranks in minor spir helps, but you are still lacking. that's with tier 5 on your robes. I never use 102 as my DS and dodge are great so I never get hit physically except from cmans, but the spells can be an issue depending on where you hunt, especially with critters that strip your spells. I don't even use barrier of force anymore, almost always sticking to mind over body for the never-ending moc which really depletes the enemies quick when combined with krynch
Re: New monk question about fighting multiple mobs 07/23/2017 01:46 PM CDT
There's some truly bad advice in here. And some good advice. I guess it balances out.

Fighting multiples for Monks is generally easier than most other professions. As was stated, disable the casters first, or tank up your TD with skills and gear to resist it, but that's never 100% effective. Between your massive amount of force on force from multi opponent combat, your 5-6 unfocused plus a free jab attacks on everything in the room, your insane maneuver defense from being in robes, your insane dodging from being in robes with an optional evade mastery, you will thrive in swarms.

Unless you're looking at two or three CS using critters, there's no reason to run ever. Or ever leave stance offensive. And even then, UAC has a tendency to knock stuff down and stun it with very minimal ending rolls, which you'll be able to make and then some while the critter is in stance defensive, much less offensive.