Monks again 12/11/2015 09:40 PM CST
I was experimenting with a monk when they first were released, and gave it up as a bad job. In view of the recent revamps to the profession, I may give it another try. I have a fixskills. What would be recommended? I assume I should get some MOC? How about CM? Rolling Krynch perhaps? I may have gone a bit overboard with spells; I know I am above the intended spell ranks. Here's current training:

>ex
Level: 13 Deeds: 2
Experience: 204244 Death's Sting: None
Exp. until next: 25756 Recent Deaths: 0
Mental TPs: 0 Fame: 84947
Physical TPs: 4 Mana: 29/29 max
(4 Phy converted to Mnt)

Your mind is as clear as a bell.

You feel a strange sense of serenity and find that you are able to reflect on recent events with uncommon clarity and understanding.
>skill
Guinlin (at level 13), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 62 13
Combat Maneuvers...................| 111 27
Brawling...........................| 120 30
Physical Fitness...................| 143 43
Dodging............................| 145 45
Harness Power......................| 40 8
Perception.........................| 20 4
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 50 10

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 7
Training Points: 4 Phy 0 Mnt (4 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)
Re: Monks again 12/11/2015 10:32 PM CST
>I was experimenting with a monk when they first were released, and gave it up as a bad job. In view of the recent revamps to the profession, I may give it another try. I have a fixskills. What would be recommended? I assume I should get some MOC? How about CM? Rolling Krynch perhaps? I may have gone a bit overboard with spells; I know I am above the intended spell ranks. Here's current training:

MOC is good at least 5 ranks (for now) so you can hit two targets at once.

I would try to work single trained mental lore - transformation if you can...if you can get it to 15 ranks you will be in equivalent of leather breastplate with iron skin and 20% resistance from meditate.

You can probably cut back or cut out climb/swim for a while if you need more TPs also you probably don't need 2x CM yet...may be better to focus that into getting the transformation lore. Could also cut back on the TWC skill...it can give you some extra DS, but honestly if you 3x dodge you don't need more than a rank.

At level 13 I would be going with some of the UAC mastery lores
Re: Monks again 12/11/2015 11:26 PM CST

TWC is one of those things I've never played with. I don't have it on mine, at level 98. I believe it will affect Mongoose Stance, as well as parrying w/ 1209 (though if you don't have 1209, moot point) It helps with DS, but... in all honestly, I don't typically have a problem with DS even without the TWC.

CMans, in my opinion is high. I think these could go more into more spell points. In regards to possible CMans to focus on. Krynch is heavenly, and works well with mstrike. Burst of Speed and Surge of Strength are great, especially when looking to get Perfect Self. Eventually, Slippery Mind might be an option as well.

Both swimming seem high, at that level.

Both swimming seem high, at that level.

I'd try to get 15 ranks of transformation lore, when possible, via training or enhancives.

Training in MOC is pretty amazing, but I don't know that I would pain past the thresholds.

Just my thoughts.
Re: Monks again 12/13/2015 05:39 AM CST
MOC for defensive purposes, about 0.5x, but there's no need to hurry it yet.

MOC for offensive purposes, at least 1x, but only if you have at least 4s worth of AGIDEX or at least 4 targets. 3+3 might be worth doing, but unless you are an agile race, leave offensive use of MOC to higher level. (There's a 3s penalty on the MOC RT for UAC compared to weaponry so the RT from it is really silly compared to single shots unless you have a lot of AGIDEX or a lot of targets). It makes a nice show off move and its great if you are group hunting because even if it takes forever, you do get a chance at decent damage from your first action but I think the 0.5x for defensive use will cover you for occasional use in these contexts. UAC Mstrike RT is hardly affected at all by encumberance, so it also provides you with an attack mode when you are too heavily loaded to do single swings (which are massively slowed by encumberance).

As many ranks harness as I had spells, worked well as baseline for me. Then add a few if you feel short for some reason or leave it untrained if you don't. You will want more at high level. (e.g. 27 spells, 27 harness at level 50 but 40 spells, 75 harness at cap)

Drop TWC back to 0.5x which is the place to be for defense at low level. At high level you can drop it back to 1 rank if you feel short of points for something else.

Train CM heavily when you have a manoever you want the points for, and spells heavily when there's a spell you want to get sooner. (1207 is a key spell and worth stretching to, but its also one thats going to take extra harness to make good use of it) CM is about what you spend the points on, rather than the other effects of the ranks. My key 3 early ones were 2 ranks krynch, 3 ranks punch mastery and 5 ranks feint. Kick rather than punch is now a viable alternative, and 3 or 4 rather than 5 ranks of feint is now viable. I'm not sure about how flurry and krynch compare when you have the AGIDEX and MOC to do a lot of Mstrike, but outside of that krynch wins massively.

Get however much ambush you need to aim effectively around level 20 or a bit sooner. Probably about 5 ranks, but its a skill to train when you find you don't have enough to aim as well as you want rather than to keep training at a particular rate.

Lore is still horribly expensive for what it does, but you may get decent value for 1,3,5,6 or 10 ranks at low level and 15 ranks at mid-level. A lot at cap may be necessary to stay in robes, but not before then. You'll be far better off not being hit because of the extra TD and DS from the spells you trained rather than taking less damage when you are hit because of the extra lore you trained instead of the spells.

Climb/swim are dirt cheap, so you won't be able to buy much with the points if you do scale them back even though your need for them is less than any other profession.