New Monk - advice needed 04/09/2015 09:24 AM CDT
Name: Cainthelas Race: Human Profession: Monk
Level: 3 Gender: Male Age: (Select your age)

Skills:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Combat Maneuvers...................| 50 10
Brawling...........................| 50 10
Ambush.............................| 25 5
Physical Fitness...................| 50 10
Dodging............................| 66 14
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 5 1
Perception.........................| 20 4
Climbing...........................| 15 3
Swimming...........................| 15 3

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 1
Training Points: 12 Phy 0 Mnt (18 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

Spell Ranks:
Minor Spiritual :1

Stats: Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 91 (25) ... 91 (25)
Constitution (CON): 91 (20) ... 91 (20)
Dexterity (DEX): 71 (10) ... 71 (10)
Agility (AGL): 91 (20) ... 91 (20)
Discipline (DIS): 91 (20) ... 91 (20)
Aura (AUR): 51 (0) ... 51 (0)
Logic (LOG): 51 (5) ... 51 (5)
Intuition (INT): 61 (10) ... 61 (10)
Wisdom (WIS): 41 (-4) ... 41 (-4)
Influence (INF): 31 (-9) ... 31 (-9)

First question is, why don't I have any mana? I have a spell that I cannot cast because I have no mana to use. Will I have to reroll and adjust stats just so that I can actually use my spells?

Second question is, is this a decent build? Anything missing I should be training in?

Thanks in advance!
Re: New Monk - advice needed 04/09/2015 10:09 AM CDT

>why don't I have any mana?

you're not training in harness power

>Will I have to reroll and adjust stats just so that I can actually use my spells?

you get 5 stat adjustments in your first 30 days. You have to check in at an inn to do this. You also get unlimited skills adjustments with no migration time during the first 30 days, this can be done through the GOALS website interface.

I recommend checking out https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/New_player for more new player information.
Re: New Monk - advice needed 04/09/2015 10:48 AM CDT
>you're not training in harness power

ahh! That would explain it, alright. I'll need to do some adjusting, then.

>you get 5 stat adjustments in your first 30 days. You have to check in at an inn to do this. You also get unlimited skills adjustments with no migration time during the first 30 days, this can be done through the GOALS website interface.

That is a relief. Thanks so much!
Re: New Monk - advice needed 04/09/2015 10:57 AM CDT
>>Second question is, is this a decent build? Anything missing I should be training in?

Why minor spirit instead of minor mental? What kind of path do you plan to take with your spells? Other then that the training plan is similar to what I did with my monk and is pretty solid. I do notice no MoC training which is something you'll want at least some of to mitigate force on force if nothing else.

As far as stats goes, are those what you plan to stick with or just using those for your 30 days? In the long run you are probably going to want more AUR/WIS for TD and LOG is how fast you absorb exp and your CS stat.
Re: New Monk - advice needed 04/09/2015 11:36 AM CDT

>Why minor spirit instead of minor mental? What kind of path do you plan to take with your spells? Other then that the training plan is similar to what I did with my monk and is pretty solid. I do notice no MoC training which is something you'll want at least some of to mitigate force on force if nothing else.

Not sure. I may have mistakenly done spirit when I meant to do mental. oops. Will change that.

>As far as stats goes, are those what you plan to stick with or just using those for your 30 days? In the long run you are probably going to want more AUR/WIS for TD and LOG is how fast you absorb exp and your CS stat.

This was just what the auto-generator did for me. I wasn't sure what monks needed at the time. I've read that starting physical stats high on monks is what I need to do because of growth reasons, but I have noticed my exp absorb is slow. I may do some tweaking there.
Re: New Monk - advice needed 04/09/2015 12:24 PM CDT
>As far as stats goes, are those what you plan to stick with or just using those for your 30 days? In the long run you are probably going to want more AUR/WIS for TD and LOG is how fast you absorb exp and your CS stat.

Don't set AUR/WIS at anything that doesn't end up at 100 by cap. This goes for most monk stats and consequently you don't want many higher than it takes to get to 100 at cap either.

LOG for the stated reasons, STR because encumberance, and AGI because DS at low level is poor are the only stats I'd set higher, and if I got enough levels in my first 30 days, it might only be LOG. LOG has to be 100 all the time. When you change your stats for the final time in your 30 days, set LOG so that it just reaches 100 at about the level you have got to then. In the long run, you'll need to FIXSTAT, because you'll really cripple yourself at low level if you set INF where it needs to be to use society powers at high level. Things like sleep and holiness are fairly hopeless with a tanked INF but sleep in particular is the only mass effect power available that works in group situations. If you are grouped and the group needs you to do something to multiple opponents, symbol of sleep is all you have.

>I do notice no MoC training which is something you'll want at least some of to mitigate force on force if nothing else.

There isn't anything else from MOC (aside from a fairly trivial effect in krynch, and mstrike for mutant builds) but FoF mitigation is more important for monks than any other profession. Train it at 0.5x for this reason but you can easily leave it until level 30 or so and catch up then.

The other missing skill is TWC. You should train either 1 rank or 0.5x in it for the DS bonus. I'd start at 0.5x and drop it down to 1 rank if you want the training points for something else around the time you get 1220.

If you only have 1 spell, you'd want it to be 101, but if you only had 20, you'd want them to be 1220. There are particular numbers of spells where its worth having 1,2 or 3 MnS and you can use the 30 day migration to shuffle them but in general having 101 means getting important MnM spells a couple of levels later than you otherwise would.
Re: New Monk - advice needed 04/09/2015 12:29 PM CDT
>I've read that starting physical stats high on monks is what I need to do because of growth reasons,

Wrong way round. Monks have higher physical than mental stat growth rates and consequently the growth settings for physical stats are lower. You may need to set physical stats above their growth values for low level playability issues, but the growth values are low.

Re: New Monk - advice needed 04/09/2015 12:32 PM CDT
>>This was just what the auto-generator did for me. I wasn't sure what monks needed at the time. I've read that starting physical stats high on monks is what I need to do because of growth reasons, but I have noticed my exp absorb is slow. I may do some tweaking there.

Not sure a good way to easily figure out monk stats. If you have an old enough version of excell you could the training spreadsheet found on gsguide.net to work. I'd suggest you set your stats to max out at cap. As a UAC monk there isn't anything you really need to set higher to make your 30 days any easier.
Re: New Monk - advice needed 04/09/2015 01:32 PM CDT
Best advice? Roll up a UAC using rogue.

::This space for rent::