TWC 12/19/2013 03:40 PM CST
Remind me again why I am training in TWC skill. Supposedly it helps with DS, but how much so? Trying to decide if it is cost effective.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: TWC 12/19/2013 04:02 PM CST
How much have you trained in twc? For defensive purposes only, .5x would be the magic number for a difference you would notice.

From KP,

A character's DS with an open off hand is calculated slightly differently:

[(TWC Ranks + trunc(STR/4) + trunc(DEX/4) + enchant bonus/2) * Stance modifier] + (5 or 15, depending on training)

Stance modifiers for empty off hand are 0.10 (in OFF), 0.15 (ADV), 0.20 (FOR), 0.25 (NEU), 0.30 (GUA), 0.35 (DEF). The +5/+15 at the end of the formula depends on your TWC training;

>a character with at least 0.5x TWC per level receives the +15 modifier.
This part would be the noticable benefit. That and as you train in more TWC your left hand will parry more incoming strikes. You do also gain .1 DS for each rank of TWC while in offensive stance. At some point this skill is worth having since the benefit adds up, albeit slowly.
Re: TWC 12/19/2013 04:03 PM CST
<<<Remind me again why I am training in TWC skill. Supposedly it helps with DS, but how much so? Trying to decide if it is cost effective.>>>

I forget the exact details, but as I recall, minimally training .5x in TWC would give you roughly a +15DS bonus. This is about what I keep my brawling bard at (maybe a tad more). More training obviously gives you more DS, but I find the bump from .5x adequate.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: TWC 12/19/2013 04:46 PM CST
I am keeping at 0.5x for now. Hmm, so the offhand can parry incoming weapon strikes, even when empty? Is this TWC benefit additive with something like parry mastery?

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: TWC 12/19/2013 04:52 PM CST
Current skills; 11 ranks TWC at level 12. Does the TWC effect round up or down?

Guinlin (at level 12), your base skill bonuses, ranks and goals are:
Skill Name | Actual Actual
| Bonus Ranks Goals In-Game Time to Goal
Two Weapon Combat..................| 54 11 11
Combat Maneuvers...................| 108 26 26
Brawling...........................| 114 28 28
Physical Fitness...................| 142 42 42
Dodging............................| 142 42 42
Harness Power......................| 30 6 6
Perception.........................| 15 3 3
Climbing...........................| 70 15 15
Swimming...........................| 50 10 10

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 7 7
Training Points: 0 Phy 3 Mnt

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: TWC 12/19/2013 05:16 PM CST
> Hmm, so the offhand can parry incoming weapon strikes, even when empty?

Once you have Brace (1214) it can.
Re: TWC 12/19/2013 06:21 PM CST

> Hmm, so the offhand can parry incoming weapon strikes, even when empty?

>Once you have Brace (1214) it can.

I've invested a single rank in twc so far on my level 49 monk, just for this benefit. I imagine my left hand rarely parries much of anything but I wanted to at least have the possibility.

Lochiven

Heh if singling in a skill gives you a 5% chance to outright avoid an attack then I guess I currently have a .1% chance to parry with my left hand.