The coolest kill I've ever had 08/13/2013 04:54 PM CDT
>grap gob
You attempt to grapple a goblin!
You have good positioning against a goblin.
UAF: 38 vs UDF: 21 = 1.809 * MM: 110 + d100: 30 = 229
... and hit for 60 points of damage!
Lightning-fast gouge to left socket brings the eye along when it withdraws!
The goblin screams silently, shudders one last time and dies.
Roundtime: 4 sec.
>cack
You cackle!

Knowing this is possible, I may never play another class/style. Simply awesome!
Re: The coolest kill I've ever had 08/13/2013 05:50 PM CDT
What are some CMans a very young monk should grab first?
Re: The coolest kill I've ever had 08/13/2013 06:29 PM CDT
As much punch mastery as you can get (unless you are addicted to grapple crit messaging, in which case grapple mastery instead). Two ranks of krynch (because you if you think getting one message like that is cool, imagine doing it to 3 critters in a row).

If you get much past title you will probably want feint.

Evade mastery is worth fitting in at some point.

Some people like perfect self, but I reckon it's for the last 50 CMan points in your 202, not the first.

Otherwise whatever suits the idea you have of your monk style.
Re: The coolest kill I've ever had 08/13/2013 07:36 PM CDT

try aiming those grapples, and kicks, and punches, and jabs

For example:

grapple target left leg
grapple target right leg
grapple target left arm
grapple target right arm
(if target still lives)
'::target Hello Bob!
grapple target head
Re: The coolest kill I've ever had 08/13/2013 10:14 PM CDT
You left out my favorite finisher, "grapple neck". :)

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: The coolest kill I've ever had 08/14/2013 03:13 PM CDT
Would I be at a disadvantage if I chose the grapple mastery route? Those messages are amazing. I recently grabbed an orc by the head and pulled it down into my knee. I now have a clinch game. . . Awesome!

Few questions: I understand we monks are very strained for TP's and I'm feeling it. I'm 2x brawl and 3x dodge and 2x PF, and .5x TWC are most monks 1x CMan? I'm trying 2x Cman but it is killing me.
- I'm trying to play around with stances, Krynch is nice when it works, but i'm finding Flurry better.
- Is going grapple mastery going to be a disadvantage?
- I notice some people saying they are hitting 19/20 before their 30 days, how? I am lucky to hit 10. Am I the only one not hunting with scripts? And what is the best method to hunt and rest : wait till completely clear, wait to clear, wait to muddled ect? Maybe I'm missing something.

Any other new monk advice would be helpful I am in the Order of Voln, due to the fact that I can never find anyone to do Warcamps with, and I'm tired of CoL. How do monks fair against undead?
Re: The coolest kill I've ever had 08/14/2013 03:56 PM CDT
>>Few questions: I understand we monks are very strained for TP's and I'm feeling it. I'm 2x brawl and 3x dodge and 2x PF, and .5x TWC are most monks 1x CMan? I'm trying 2x Cman but it is killing me.<<

IMO monks are not hurting for TP's and they actually have a ton of TP's to spend because most do 0 armor training and although you can 3x dodge and PF it's not necessary. I went spells first so my monk was 1x minor mental at lvl 20. That did take up some TP's but he still was able to be .5x TWC, 2x brawl, 1x PF 1.4x cmans and more.

Grapple mastery (in fact all the masteries) are great but most people go punch because it's a great balance between speed and power. Usually punch is all you need anyway.

UCS is a slow way to hunt so that could be a factor in your exp gain. It is also an excellent way to uphunt so you may be able to counter the slowness by uphunting 5 levels so that each creature you kill = 150 points.

Voln is perfect for UCS monks.
Re: The coolest kill I've ever had 08/14/2013 06:34 PM CDT
Fastest exp gain comes from doing bounties while saturated and turning them in when you drop to fried. Maximising bounties is what counts rather than optimising how long you wait between hunts when you don't have a bounty.

Uphunting 5 levels is good for exp rate, but go much beyond that and the inability to tier will bore you to death even when you can take the critters.

If grapple works for you stick with it. I reckon punch hits harder, disables more reliably, and is faster. However, the grapple crits are more interesting.

If you habitually tank outside spells, you can easily slack off on the dodge. If you don't, I'd try to avoid it. Slipping 20 ranks to get spells faster is likely to be a good trade though.
Re: The coolest kill I've ever had 08/14/2013 07:02 PM CDT

So do bounties and turn them in when fried is the best way? Thanks, been playing for a decade now and only have one titled player. This info is very useful.

I'm constantly playing with my goals now. But am enjoying every hunt. The UAC keeps me interested, being so different from everything else.

I know nothing of the minor mental circle. I have up to 1204 now (currently lvl 5) what spells are a must have pre titled?
Re: The coolest kill I've ever had 08/14/2013 07:31 PM CDT
I don't think there's a consensus on the spells question. I did 1x spells because 1220 is very good. I set stats for cap so Perfect self is important to me and my monk doesn't even have masteries. He hunts just fine and doesn't get hurt. I do have access to free wizard spell ups and he's a GoS master.
Re: The coolest kill I've ever had 08/15/2013 10:06 AM CDT
The fastest way to gain experience is to do as many bounties as possible as fast as possible. The reason for being fried is that it doesn't pay to turn a bounty in while saturated. If you are clear, and its 10 minutes before you can get another bounty, hunt till fried. If you are clear and you can get another bounty now, turn it in and get another one.

Sooner or later you'll want to rush 1220. There were CMans I wanted first, and I was only 0.4x-0.5x in spells till I had them. I got 1220 in the early 30s.

1202 - Ironskin. better AvD and crit divisor is nice, but its not worth going beyond 5 ranks lore to get them faster.
1203 - slows down casting critters. Its better than nothing when you haven't got another disabler, but not by much.
1204 - DS. Mainly useful because its DS no-one else is likely to have, and you can barter it for a lot of other spells.
1207 - Single target version of ewave. Your key disabler (and only effective one, if it won't work, you can't control the critter). Not worth rushing because you won't have the mana to use it extensively, but when you do have the mana you will make massive use of it.
1208 - TD. Mental TD so less useful than the number suggests. You'll still be glad to have it though, and its your other swappable spell.
1209 - Offense buff. Not critical to have, but certainly worth using when you get it.
1214 - Defense buff. Like 1209, mostly fluff, not worth rushing, but worth having when you get it.
1216 - 30 Group DS. Focus spell, stays up till you stop it or you get stunned. Its worth rushing. You can cast one focus spell at a time, 1213 is the other focus spell, but you'll only want to be casting 1213 rather than 1216 when grouped with someone else that has 1216. I've never run 1213, but a Voln dwarf has more than enough stamina. A GoS dark elf might feel differently about which was best.
1219 - Useful for scaling down large bandit ambushes, but by and large its impossible to get enough CS to make any of the CS attack spells effective.
1220 - DS. Once you've rushed 1216, keep going to 1220.

101, 107 - TD and bolt DS
103 - DS
102 - DS traded for offense. Not worth using until after title, but the higher level you get, the less the offense loss hurts and the more useful it is when you want that little bit more DS.
120 - You'll want this for the TD but its a long way from 107 to 120, with very little return on the training points for 108-119.