Must have CMs for weapon using monks 08/09/2013 01:55 PM CDT
I'm pretty clear what my must have CMans are for UAC, but not for weaponry.

Are there any and if so which? Or is it like semis and pures, setup is all about the spells.

I have come to the conclusion that UAC is not viable for me from at level 60 until at least close to cap (because UAC only works solo and the hunting is too tedious to play through that range solo) but haven't definitely settled on a which weapon yet. If CMan is only needed for the AS, then its a rather lower priority than if there are important uses for the CM points.
Re: Must have CMs for weapon using monks 08/09/2013 10:14 PM CDT
Quarter staff!

~ Heathyr the dreamer
Re: Must have CMs for weapon using monks 08/10/2013 04:09 PM CDT

I do plan on making my monk a weapon user for at least a chunk of time simply to try it out. Here is one of my possible paths

1. Perfect self 54 (all around benefit, but would keep either burst up for RT reduction, or surge up for AS)
2. Sidebyside 35
3. Mobility 5
4. Ipower 2 Cheap heal, saves me 2 spirit and I refuse to carry herbs on my monk.
5. Emastery 24
6. Toughness 24 I'm a gnome
7. Slippery 24
8. Coup 30
9. 4 pts left.

This is for a burghal gnome that hunts with a warrior. My vision of him has always been lightning fast reflexes and if he was to use a weapon it will be a katana for precision with a sharp blade. An alternative to Coup would be stance of the mongoose which I really like as a concept but haven't used in practice (since it sucks with uac..I do not want to jab in retaliation)

Kifocus would also be one to consider depending on how large of a weapon you intend to wield. But aside from Ki/Coup/Mongoose there weren't any that stood out to me as offensively beneficial for a weapon user.

Lochiven
Re: Must have CMs for weapon using monks 08/10/2013 04:09 PM CDT

I do plan on making my monk a weapon user for at least a chunk of time simply to try it out. Here is one of my possible paths

1. Perfect self 54 (all around benefit, but would keep either burst up for RT reduction, or surge up for AS)
2. Sidebyside 35
3. Mobility 5
4. Ipower 2 Cheap heal, saves me 2 spirit and I refuse to carry herbs on my monk.
5. Emastery 24
6. Toughness 24 I'm a gnome
7. Slippery 24
8. Coup 30
9. 4 pts left.

This is for a burghal gnome that hunts with a warrior. My vision of him has always been lightning fast reflexes and if he was to use a weapon it will be a katana for precision with a sharp blade. An alternative to Coup would be stance of the mongoose which I really like as a concept but haven't used in practice (since it sucks with uac..I do not want to jab in retaliation)

Kifocus would also be one to consider depending on how large of a weapon you intend to wield. But aside from Ki/Coup/Mongoose there weren't any that stood out to me as offensively beneficial for a weapon user.

Lochiven
Re: Must have CMs for weapon using monks 08/11/2013 10:51 AM CDT

I respec'd into a THW/MOC user which worked out pretty well. I had to drop CM down a bit but I went with pretty much the same cman's as with my UAC build, perfect self, emastery, feint. I was planning on picking up a defensive stance after a few levels (slippery mind or inner harmony).

However I ran into problems with being disarmed by acolytes in the spider temple, so I wish I'd picked up rank 3 of disarm at least. I'd definitely recommend adding it to any weapon using monk build, you sort of forget about it with UAC. :)

I also think a OH-/TWC/MOC monk build would work well.

All that being said I think monks really need access to some of the warrior/rogue cman's for weapon users, particularly at least one or both of the weapon using offensive stances; Whirling Dervish for sure. Right now monks are in a weird limbo of being not a square but not a semi, not great at UAC and not great at regular weapons, almost pure level costs for armor/shields or almost square level costs for lores for 1202 (with no cva).
Re: Must have CMs for weapon using monks 08/11/2013 06:29 PM CDT
Side by side is one I'll need to add, but not disarm. GMs generally turn that off in invasions, and in any case my experience of playing weapon users is that its being cursed rather than the CMan thats a lot more likely to cause me to drop a weapon.

Is TWC any use in invasions? I thought that even with 2x TWC you started whiffing the second attack when critters were 5 levels over you. That's the way I'm leaning, but if it is in practice only one weapons when it comes to invasions or group hunts, thats a big negative.

Monks: less magical than paladins, and less square too.
Re: Must have CMs for weapon using monks 08/12/2013 12:10 AM CDT

At 2x TWC you'll have a chance to miss with the off hand over 5 levels above you, but its a chance that scales up so you won't just start missing every attack right at level 6+.

I generally stay out of invasions since there's no way to tell when I'm dealing with something my level or 50 levels above me. :)
Re: Must have CMs for weapon using monks 08/12/2013 01:48 PM CDT
If you are in a militia group, it doesn't matter whether its 50 levels over you or not. ;)

Unless you are using UAC :( then you might as well log off if its 15 levels over you.

Its essentially a style for solo play only. I start to have issues with it if I'm not the only character in a hunting ground, and they become serious the moment I'm in a group.