Monk Question RE: TWC 03/04/2013 08:39 AM CST

Hey guys,

Trying to figure out this monk stuff before I roll up a newbie to screw around on. One thing I'm kind of confused on is TWC and open hands requirements. I've read so far that open hands while trained in TWC will allow offhand DS benefits similar to using a sai or main gauche.

1) What's the case if you're using UAC capable weapons? A pain grip, for example? What if you use two pain grips? How does that impact DS?

2) I'm under the impression if you use one or two paingrips or other similar UAC capable weapon, that it will act as the UAC system as normal? You can still punch, grapple, kick, etc but the DF will be altered and it has some sort of hit pentalty as well, is that correct?

3) Does using a UAC capable weapon change the types of damage done at all? I'm thinking along the lines of like...a tiger claw might peirce whereas fists crush.

4) Is using UAC capable weapons worth it in your opinion? Or is general consensus not so much.

5) What's the deal with everyone training in MOC? Just for the FOF benefits? UAC can't use mstrike, can it? Or does MOC help with flurry or krynch stance?

thanks!
Re: Monk Question RE: TWC 03/04/2013 09:03 AM CST
1) Two-weaponing brawling weapons will give you the normal two-weapon DS, but not the main-gauche bonus (+10 DS), since you're not using a main-gauche or sai. Being empty-handed only gives you the main-gauche bonus if you're at least .5x TWC.
2) UAC-compatible weapons will increase your DF and thus raw damage, but decrease your MM, which reduces your hit chance.
3) UAC attacks have their own crit tables -- they don't technically do crush/puncture/slash damage at all.
4) The system is designed to give completely empty-handed fighters a general advantage in UAC -- brawling weapons are included partly just to grandfather, and partly in case you want a character that uses both normal AS/DS and UAC.
5) Krynch's effectiveness on critters above your level or critters that differ in level is controlled by MoC. That's the only real benefit for UAC fighters, I believe.
Re: Monk Question RE: TWC 03/04/2013 09:36 AM CST
Thanks!

To clarify the first response - If I chose to use one UAC capable weapon and left my left hand free, 0.5x twc would give me the +10?
Re: Monk Question RE: TWC 03/04/2013 10:07 AM CST
One paingrip is worth it at low level under some circumstances e.g. you can get the flare you want that way, or you can use CMans like feint or disarm that you don't have the ranks to use empty handed, and you get an outright parry chance if you haven't learnt Brace. The bonus and penalty more or less offset at low level, but the penalty increases with level and the bonus doesn't. Beyond level 30 its hard to find a situation where you won't be better off with empty hands.

I have MOC for FoF. It does give some help to krynch, but its the FoF that determines how much I train. Not much early on, but I am pushing it up fast now I have 1220 and 107.

There's a substantial boost to field experience for empty hands. You'll advance around 10-15% faster (maybe 25% if you do a lot of hunting while fried) if you keep your hands empty rather than using a weapon.

>To clarify the first response - If I chose to use one UAC capable weapon and left my left hand free, 0.5x twc would give me the +10?

I don't know. Try it and see.
Re: Monk Question RE: TWC 03/04/2013 01:24 PM CST

Be sure to check out the Krakiipedia article on the UAC. This bit comes from a link at the bottom of it listing some GM posts, it will clear up some of your questions regarding TWC ds bonuses.

http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Unarmed_combat_system

In response to concerns about Unarmed Combat, some changes have just been released.

1.) Armor penalties for UCS attacks are now half of their former value.

2.) Held item penalties for UCS attacks have been divided into two components. All non-UCS items held in the hand impose a base penalty. Weapons and shields impose an additional penalty which may be mitigated by training in the appropriate skill. A training regimen of 2x ranks per level in the appropriate weapon or shield skill will fully eliminate the additional penalty, and 8 magical ranks per level will fully eliminate the additional penalty for a runestaff.

3.) UCS compatible gloves now add their enchant bonus to parry DS in the same way as a one-handed weapon.

4.) An empty left hand now provides parry DS similar to that of a main gauche or sai, for those characters trained in brawling and Two Weapon Combat.

5.) Brace (1214) now allows two chances to outright parry an attack for double open handed combatants trained in two weapon combat.

6.) The Punch, Grapple, and Kick Mastery combat maneuvers are now available to warriors and rogues as well as monks.