Human monk stats 08/15/2012 08:47 PM CDT
Well, my 30 days are almost up, which means it's time to permanently assign my stats.

I've got a human monk, level 19 (hopefully 20 before my timer is up), with the following skills:

06032x Brawling
15092x CM
06002x PF
06063x Dodging
0019.5x spells
0003.5x Harness Power
0006.5x Transformation Lore
3346Total

I'm not averse to converting points if necessary, and I'm not sure I'll want to keep my spell training up to this rate forever. I've also picked up a negligible amount of Perception/Climbing/Swimming, just to get around. I don't care about Climb/Swim until I actually need them (60s-ish?), but I wouldn't mind finding room for 1x Perception in there as well (an additional 0/2 per level).

So how would you all suggest I place my stats? Assume I want to get this guy to at least level 50.

~ Lumi
Re: Human monk stats 08/15/2012 09:24 PM CDT
Your training looks similar to my monks, except instead of 2x CM I'm 1x in ambush and TWC as well as .5x in swimming and climbing (he's in RR though). So far I haven't missed the extra CMANs or UAF (I'm assuming CM helps there), but the extra DS from TWC definitely helps. I can't help on stats, I just used the stat cruncher.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Human monk stats 08/15/2012 10:12 PM CDT
<<I can't help on stats, I just used the stat cruncher.>>

You may wish to be careful with using the cruncher. The GIs that control how stats grow likely changed between what they were when first announced and now. You may be dealing with inaccurate data. I'd recommend using the updated spreadsheet that Brinret's been working on since monks were released for beta: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Training_Spreadsheet

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Human monk stats 08/15/2012 10:35 PM CDT
Eh, I'm not interested enough in getting the "perfect" stats that I'm going to spend $100+ to get the software just to be able to use spreadsheets for GS. It's why I've never used Tsoran's either, even though I understand they're exceptional.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Human monk stats 08/16/2012 01:14 AM CDT
>Your training looks similar to my monks, except instead of 2x CM I'm 1x in ambush and TWC as well as .5x in swimming and climbing (he's in RR though). So far I haven't missed the extra CMANs or UAF (I'm assuming CM helps there), but the extra DS from TWC definitely helps. I can't help on stats, I just used the stat cruncher.

I think you're gonna end up missing those CM ranks when you start running into more unavoidable spellcasters. I'm not quite there just yet at 34, but I'm sure I'll be very glad to have three ranks of harmony when I move to the next group of hunting grounds. Slippery mind can't follow quick enough.
Re: Human monk stats 08/16/2012 02:21 AM CDT
Alright, here's what I'm thinking:

STR80
CON26
DEX58
AGI58
DIS70
AUR69
LOG79
INT87
WIS74
INF59

Lets me juuuuuuust scrape by with my current plan, plus .5x Perception, at level 20. Am I missing anything too critical with this setup?

~ Lumi
Re: Human monk stats 08/16/2012 05:17 AM CDT

Try it out and see. Does a CON that low make for encumberance? Is your AGI high enough for self spelled hunting comfort?

When I shifted my dwarf to growth values for stats the answers I didn't like the carrying capacity and DS so I withdrew another 20 points from the INF tank for STR and AGI. With other professions I put the prime stats higher, but monk prime stats aren't good for training points.

There's very little difference in training points between stats for monks, because the prime stats are physical but monks have to convert physical to mental. Either you have the TPs for your plan or you don't, shifting stats around makes very little difference.
Re: Human monk stats 08/16/2012 10:33 AM CDT
>Your training looks similar to my monks, except instead of 2x CM I'm 1x in ambush and TWC as well as .5x in swimming and climbing (he's in RR though). So far I haven't missed the extra CMANs or UAF (I'm assuming CM helps there), but the extra DS from TWC definitely helps. I can't help on stats, I just used the stat cruncher.

How effectively is this letting you aim?

With 30 Cman and no ambush I can't do much better than legs (I miss openings when going for the head with the critter stunned and prone) and I am wondering if a few ambush ranks would make enough difference to be worth it.
Re: Human monk stats 08/16/2012 10:46 AM CDT
<<How effectively is this letting you aim?>>
<<With 30 Cman and no ambush I can't do much better than legs (I miss openings when going for the head with the critter stunned and prone) and I am wondering if a few ambush ranks would make enough difference to be worth it.>>

I'm not the original poster, but I can mention that at level 32 with 30 ranks of ambush and 66 in combat maneuvers, I never outright miss an opening, and I'm hitting the right area semi-reliably. I've noticed that it's been pretty reliable for a few levels as well, since I took up ambush in the mid to late 20's.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Human monk stats 08/16/2012 01:17 PM CDT
60 CMAN + 30 ambush is an aiming skill of (160+120)/2=140+DEX, while mine at the moment is 85. I get a decent fraction of heads punched in but more missed openings than I like, and wondered whether people with more like 100 or so in aiming skill were avoiding those. I'd train the ambush to push it that far, but 1x is too far at the moment.
Re: Human monk stats 08/16/2012 03:30 PM CDT
<How effectively is this letting you aim?>

Honestly, I'm not at a stage where I need to be aiming much yet. However, my goal is to be able to ambush limbs and from prior experience with other professions, 1x in CM and Ambush will be plenty for that. With what I'm going to be hunting and the speed of UAC and ease of critting with it, I don't anticipate the need to be going straight for the head, getting them on the ground and stunned will be fine for my purposes.

Starchitin

Re: Human monk stats 03/05/2013 06:50 PM CST

I'm late chiming in on all of this. really really late. As far as aiming goes. I dont think I ever miss. No ambush at all. Doubled in cmans. I was a convert. Now i'm at level 84 or so. I miss the utility of being a warrior. having all the secondary skills. And I miss plate armor. Even 3x in pt, and3x dodge, i take some really bad hits. The worst thing I've found though, like the other high level monks, is in not being able to ward against magic.

My skills and breakdowns are pretty simple. For cmans, i've got 4 ranks in surge and burst. 5 ranks in perfect self. With those, and with enhancives, i've got 140's or so in strength, dex and agility. While my cmans are active. The extra 24 points i save from going from rank 5 in surge and burst I then put towards getting a rank in iharmony, 2 ranks in toughness. I have 3 ranks in krynch, which I almost use soley. I switch to iharmony at night in the old city, as it gets me out of webs, and binds. I find with 3x dodge, that my bolt DS, and DS vs 2 or less targets, means i wont get hit. Being in a burst environment, I find with 30 ranks in MIU and 55 in harness, I can wear all the extra elemental spells except blurs and mass guards, and i can wear both blues, as well as dims and the powerful look. This leaves me 6 points under, for haste if I need to use it.

I found that I dont hardly ever need to aim while using the UAF. It has enough built in knockdowns and armbars and limb removers, as well as throat chops, that I dont have to deal with things casting very often.

The things that kill me most are the instant kill things. Either spells I cant ward, things with hidden checks, or manuevers. It's crazy to see my DS tank from 575 against a single apponant, to barely over 325 with 5. I only have 5 ranks in MOC. Things are just really expensive. I have 38 spells, and 15 ranks in mental lore. This gives me chain armor. Though with no CVA, i dont know if it's worth it. If I could wear padded arm and leg accessories, then I might enjoy it more. My gear is 4x robes, 4x gloves, 5x boots. I never hold any weapons.

I've noticed my UAF seems to go up 5 points per level, as apposed to 3 for melee users. I can hit everything. but, I cant tier up on everything. Krynch helps with that, as I will normally just tier up on something else, and then switch back to the baddy. Soemtimes I just need to haste and pummel things to death.

I can also cast spells on anything under a 100th level. Normally anyway. Once they start ticking into the 110's and higher i have problems.

My skills are as follows, currently migrating down on my pt and dodge to pick up survival and first aid. Once the anual fixskills comes around, i'll pump them back up and forget fa and survival, depending on my level at that time. I left sunfist to master voln so that i could rescue people. Not having an ability to fog was detrimental. And there was no way I was going to spend the tp's for spell 130. But I miss the added padding of major protection.

lvl 83 | Bonus Ranks
Combat Maneuvers...................| 266 166
Brawling...........................| 276 176
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 25 5
Physical Fitness...................| 352 252
Dodging............................| 350 250
Magic Item Use.....................| 117 29
Harness Power......................| 155 55
Mental Mana Control................| 78 17
Mental Lore - Transformation.......| 70 15
Survival...........................| 126 33
Perception.........................| 130 35
Climbing...........................| 140 40
Swimming...........................| 140 40
First Aid..........................| 117 29

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 38

cmans are:

your Combat Maneuver training is as follows:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Combat Toughness toughness 2
Surge of Strength surge 4
Evade Mastery emastery 3
Duck and Weave weave 1
Burst of Swiftness burst 4
Perfect Self perfectself 5
Internal Power ipower 1
Punch Mastery punchmastery 3
Inner Harmony iharmony 1
Rolling Krynch Stance krynch 3

stats are:

Name: Kiel Seer Race: Human Profession: Monk (shown as: Guardian of the Lost)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 100 (30) ... 140 (50)
Constitution (CON): 100 (25) ... 110 (30)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (25) ... 139 (44)
Agility (AGI): 100 (25) ... 140 (45)
Discipline (DIS): 99 (24) ... 109 (29)
Aura (AUR): 91 (20) ... 101 (25)
Logic (LOG): 100 (30) ... 128 (44)
Intuition (INT): 89 (24) ... 99 (29)
Wisdom (WIS): 79 (14) ... 89 (19)
Influence (INF): 53 (1) ... 63 (6)
Mana: 171