Fun build to try out. 11/08/2015 05:19 PM CST
I was going through old emails and found where I had made a sylvan TWC build for a friend in 2012. I have always wanted to try it out myself but never have. And I hate seeing the bard folder this dead, so if anybody wants to try out a fun and challenging new character or just wants to talk about build options, here it is.

Level 0:
STR 70 (10)
CON 77 (13)
DEX 49 (10)
AGL 62 (11)
DIS 88 (14)
AUR 58 (9)
LOG 88 (19)
INT 82 (16)
WIS 53 (1 )
INF 33 (-8)

Level 50:
STR 86 (18)
CON 89 (19)
DEX 80 (25)
AGL 83 (21)
DIS 94 (17)
AUR 83 (21)
LOG 94 (22)
INT 92 (21)
WIS 72 (11)
INF 75 (12)

Level 100:
STR 100 (25)
CON 100 (25)
DEX 100 (35)
AGL 100 (30)
DIS 100 (20)
AUR 100 (30)
LOG 100 (25)
INT 100 (25)
WIS 87 (18)
INF 100 (25)

CORE SKILLS

2x Edged
2x TWC
1x CM
1x PF
1x HP
1x Spells
1x Lores

OTHER SKILLS

1x armor until 35 ranks for brig
.5x climb and swim until 30 ranks
.5x MMC to 30 ranks
35 ranks MOC at level 36
Starting at level 36 put all spare TPs into dodge - will catch up to 1x at level 82, finish 1x to cap
All spare points into MOC starting at level 82 until 60 ranks at level 93
193 PTPs left over

LORE OPTIONS

52 air/50 telepathy

Air:
1012 - 24% chance for extra flare
1035 - +14 extra dodge ranks, additional -1s rt (2 total)

Telepathy:
Songs - Additional 1m 40s to song renewal
1007 - +7 AS
1011 - Reduced chance of failure on cast and chance of being broken after cast
1015 - +3 seconds RT, -14 additional TD
1016 - +4 to max target level
1035 - +35 seconds to duration
1040 - Group Stun/Immobility effect removal 117% (meaning 100% chance on 5 second stun/immob or less, -3% per added second of stun/immob)

75 air/26 telepathy

Air:
1012 - 30% chance for extra flare
1035 - +17 extra dodge ranks, additional -2s rt (3 total)

Telepathy:
Songs - Additional 52s to song renewal
1007 - +5 AS
1011 - (Unquantifiably less) Reduced chance of failure on cast and
chance of being broken after cast
1015 - +2 seconds RT, -10 additional TD
1016 - +2 to max target level
1035 - +23 seconds to duration
1040 - Group Stun/Immobility effect removal 108% (meaning 100% chance on 2 second stun/immob or less, -3% per added second of stun/immob)

I don't tend to use scrolls or magic items very much at all, so having MIU/AS in the build isn't a must for me. But if somebody did want them you have some spare PTPs you can convert for them, or you can use those PTPs and maybe drop some climb/swim to get heavier armor, especially if you're in GoS.

So, what do you guys think?
Re: Fun build to try out. 11/09/2015 08:49 AM CST
I think you need to decide to train up the other ranks of your Lores. (Lore is where a great deal of the power of a Bard comes from.)

The first 'split' you showed is do-able at 50th level, and that version isn't even fully singled in Mental. The second 'split' you showed will take until 73rd level, but only because Bards can only single in a Lore.

You should plan to be at 101 Elemental:Air and 101 Mental:<some mix of your choosing> when you cap.
Re: Fun build to try out. 11/11/2015 01:24 AM CST
Well Krakii, it looks like we are the only bards left.

When I made this build for my friend back then, one of the things that he really wanted was to focus on MOC as much as he could while still maintaining good defense and some tertiary skills. Unfortunately, that second round of MOC going from 35 to 60 ranks really eats up the TPs that I would have otherwise spent on some more lores.

I'm a fan of lores myself and while my pure bard will be as close to 1x mental and 1x air lores as I can at cap, I don't think it is right to say that any bard NEEDS to be 2x lores at cap. The difference between 50, 75, and 101 air lore is a roughly 7% and 5% increased flare chance per jump, and I think that's a perfectly acceptable place to take a little loss in effectiveness in order to spread the TPs.
Re: Fun build to try out. 11/11/2015 01:28 AM CST
And the -1 RT from Tonis, of course. Can't forget that.
Re: Fun build to try out. 11/11/2015 09:11 AM CST
Is the player wanting to go for the MStrike just for style points?

Because honestly, having the additional possibility of the flares will probably more than make up for losing out on another tap with the weapon.
Re: Fun build to try out. 11/11/2015 10:45 AM CST
You two aren't the only ones left! I haven't played a swinger since gs3 so I feel under equipped to comment on non-standard builds is all but I definitely enjpy listening to what's being said.

Taluric.
Re: Fun build to try out. 11/11/2015 09:11 PM CST
I fixskilled to TWC two years ago and I love it; however, I never could find an interest within me for mechanics so I'm pretty confident that my skills are FUBAR. Therefore I enjoy reading other people's success stories so I can shamelessly copycat them =) Please, by all means continue!

That said, at cap, here's what I'm at and my thoughts:

OHE 2x
TWC 2x
Armor use 35 ranks for brig
MOC 30 ranks for focused Mstrike
CMAN 103 ranks
Dodging 1x
PF 1.8x, working up to 2x
HP 1x
EL: Air 73 ranks, working to 75
ML: Telepathy 38 ranks, on hold
ML: Manipulation 15 ranks, on hold
EMC 25 for mana spellup
Climb/Swim 50 ranks
MIU 10 ranks
Arcane symbols 15 ranks
Perception 1x

I will probably drop Arcane symbols at the next fixskill because I rarely remember to use scrolls and probably will bump up MIU. Will probably also reduce climb/swim unless a new hunting area requires it.

Lots of people say I should switch to MMC but I haven't been convinced it's better than the mana spellup benefit I get now with EMC. I never use the song of unravelling and pretty much never have mana supply issues at cap. My next goals after I finish PF and EL: Air will be to get dodge to 2x.

Basically all my deaths currently result from crits, I'm hoping that being 2x in PF and dodge will mitigate that someday.

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Re: Fun build to try out. 11/11/2015 10:54 PM CST
The primary benefit for MMC is actually not 1013 for melee builds, but a better ability to shake effects via 1040. The more ranks you have, the better the odds to break long duration stuns, webs, binds, etc.

Climbing is very good for getting out of the higher planes of the rift with boxes as well as reducing confluence movement RT (exact fashion unknown). Swimming is good for getting in/out of the temple on Teras, as well as a 'drowning' maneuver in both there and the confluence.

For dodge.. keep in mind it only helps with DS. Despite the name it does nothing to help dodge boils, lava blobs, tackles, sweeps, or anything that isn't an AS/DS resolution. If it's maneuvers killing you it's PT is better than CM and CM is at least as good as perception (varies by stance), the only other consideration would be overtraining armor use for armor AP reduction. You probably know all that, but it's worth stating anyway.

All that said, nothing you have looks 'bad' by any stretch, one way or another.

Taluric.
Re: Fun build to try out. 11/12/2015 08:02 AM CST
Thanks for the explanations and for the reassurance!

I suppose that's a good benefit.. but I still like having mana spellup! Perhaps I'll add getting some MMC ranks to the long term plan.

I'll have to experiment with leading my groups when I go into the confluence, I noticed we have RT when my hunting partner leads... perhaps it will be reduced if I lead.

Unfortunately it's not maneuvers but straight up crits that get me primarily-- ambushing bandits, critical damage from spells, etc. I have 5 ranks in cunning defense, which definitely helps against maneuvers.

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Re: Fun build to try out. 11/12/2015 10:27 AM CST
Confluence RT seems to be generated for each individual in a group uniquely. I go there with a ranger from time to time whose much better trained to deal with the RT and there will be moves where I have 0 RT and they do generate some (and plenty vice versa). Climbing is also the 'secondary' skill for the reduction, with survival being primary... but it does help.

For the maneuver defense thing all of that was for a SMR style of them (think griffin ride of doom and boil, spells and effects where you typically don't see a roll). Cdefense helps with combat maneuvers which, while named similarly, use different formulas.

Tal.