Return from an abscence... 12/28/2011 10:09 AM CST
This is what I look like at the moment, level 47. I really love lances, so I'd like to hear that lances are still viable, I seem to be fine hunting, some touchy situations for sure, but overall seem fine. I'm going to go up the bard spell tree now to tonis' song for the haste. Then go back to the elements for the bonuses.

I have feint and precision at the moment for combat stuff, still not sure what else would do me well, I'm guessing I should go for DS/TD gains next, charge seems situational, but the round time is 7 seconds which is hefty for someone with limited defence. Thoughts?

Armor Use..........................| 149 49
Combat Maneuvers...................| 149 49
Polearm Weapons....................| 198 98
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 35 7
Physical Fitness...................| 149 49
Dodging............................| 149 49
Harness Power......................| 148 48
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 50 10
Mental Lore - Manipulation.........| 50 10
Mental Lore - Telepathy............| 82 18
Perception.........................| 148 48
Climbing...........................| 105 25
Swimming...........................| 105 25
Trading............................| 149 49

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 30

Spell Lists
Bard...............................| 19
Re: Return from an abscence... 12/29/2011 01:04 PM CST
>>I really love lances, so I'd like to hear that lances are still viable<<

OK, lances are still viable (why wouldn't they be??)
Re: Return from an abscence... 12/29/2011 01:23 PM CST
L 21 bard ...

>> se
[Under Crypt, Tunnels]
This area looks like a ghoul's larder. Bodies and parts of bodies lie buried in ice that was scraped off the walls and ceiling then covered with layers of the gruesome pink icicles. Not a pretty sight. In one corner of the room you see some roughly carved stairs leading upwards. You also see an arch wight.
Obvious exits: northeast, southeast, southwest, northwest
> stance off
You are now in an offensive stance.
> at
You thrust with a sonic lance at an arch wight!
AS: +214 vs DS: +95 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +2 = +158
... and hit for 45 points of damage!
Well aimed shot, punctures calf!
Roundtime: 6 sec.
R>
An arch wight chants an evil incantation.
R>
An arch wight gestures at you!
CS: +120 - TD: +105 + CvA: +3 + d100: +42 - -5 == +65
Warded off!
R> at
AS: +214 vs DS: +105 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +85 = +231
... and hit for 97 points of damage!
Well placed strike to back shatters vertebrae!
The arch wight is knocked to the ground!
R>
An arch wight stands up with a grunt.
> at
AS: +214 vs DS: +115 with AvD: +37 + d100 roll: +76 = +212
... and hit for 77 points of damage!
Shield arm mangled horribly.
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the arch wight's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The arch wight falls to the ground motionless.

Re: Return from an abscence... 01/03/2012 01:24 AM CST
Mechanically you could make this bard a lot stronger with a quick fixskill. Suggestions below if you'd like 'em.

Sonic Weapon Enchant = 10 + (bard base/2). Right now you'd swing a 4x sonic lance. If you reorganize you can bring it to it's maximum of 7x with 47 ranks (actually tops out at 50, but you'd be close).

Song of Kai gains AS increases based on Telepathy Lore. Not sure what you're using the 10 Manip Lore for. I'd dump it and push Telepathy lore to 42, which is the closest breakpoint you can get for a lore boost.

I'd drop dodge ranks and all your MOC ranks to get the TPs for the above. You'll have +50 phantom ranks of dodge with Song of Mirrors + Song of Tonis. You'll gain roughly 65 AS.

Then you'll need to try to push Air Lores. I'd take that to 42 as well. That will give you significantly more dodge ranks from Tonis and give you a 21% chance of a double flare on hit - instead of your current 6% chance.

You can alternatively stop at 30 ranks of Air Lore, which gives you an extra -1 RT reduction on the song.

To find all the TPs for that stuff I'd drop:
-CMANs to 0.5x unless you want charge to hunt. I prefer Lullabye though :D

-MOC to 0 (was this for defense or mstriking?)

-Drop MnE to 25. Tonis > all other damage or defense gains from any skills you can have. Get Tonis.

-Dodge to 10-20. Right now you aren't running Tonis. With Tonis and Mirrors + Lores you'll have more dodge ranks than you have currently with this training setup.

-Trading seems like a waste at this point.

Not 100% sure the reworks I'm suggesting will give you the necessary TPs, but it would get you close. With this build you'll swing 2 seconds faster with nearly the same DS and a higher AS.
Re: Return from an abscence... 01/03/2012 01:30 AM CST
Sorry, also, regarding the CMANs. If you're using a pole I'd snap up charge. With Tonis you can charge pretty quick and if you max the rank on it it's crazy powerful vs. a single target. Puts them in RT, prones, stuns.

I'd worry less about self-spelling TD increases. The gains from MnE are minimal. Get some spirit spells, imbeds, whatever, rather than clinging to 430.
Re: Return from an abscence... 01/03/2012 09:22 AM CST
Pretty sure that Sonic Shield & Sonic Weapon max out at 49 Songs known (and Sonic Armor--which starts at +15 rather than +10 like those two--at 39) due to rounding. This is why all of my characters that train in CM have an odd number of ranks in it, too. :)
Re: Return from an abscence... 01/03/2012 10:40 PM CST
Yessum. 49, rounding FTW!