So...new Bard...some hints 11/10/2011 03:49 PM CST

I recently came back after a long (5 year) absence, and while Drexla is fine, taking a look at a few of my younger alts - I noticed my Bard is pretty much unsalvagable (He's only 17 - so it's no biggy rerolling him)

What I'm looking for is mainly a few tips. I have read everything available to me in this forum - but well...you should see my 'scratch' sheet with tips - it's a mess ;P

I haven't rolled a new character in..forever...if reroll him - do I get that 30 day 'do-over' stuff (you can tell I have no clue what I'm talking about :D - he has no enhancives to worry about)
I think I'd like to try Polearms (Drexla has a few squirreled away in a locker somewhere) - This still a good option?
What else is 'needed' (I have some decent Brig for him (7X decent crit pad) - is Sonic Armor better than that ;P?)

Not really interested in a 'caster' bard - already have Drexla,mage, empath and cleric
Not really interested in TWC (rogue) or ranged (ranger)

Just even some general thoughts and ideas would be helpful

THANKS!!!
Re: So...new Bard...some hints 11/10/2011 04:10 PM CST
>>I think I'd like to try Polearms (Drexla has a few squirreled away in a locker somewhere) - This still a good option?

This is fine and actually an easy route to go.

2x poles
1x dodge, combat maneuvers, armor, spells, lores (air and telepathy totaling 1x), PF, HP
.5x MoC, climb and swim, perception, MMC and scrolls or MIU

likely I missed something but I believe that covers any basics.

>>What else is 'needed' (I have some decent Brig for him (7X decent crit pad) - is Sonic Armor better than that ;P?)

sonic augmented chain might be better than that, but early on (about 30 ranks of armor) that'll be superior to what you can sing. It'll be armor you can wear, as a bard, for a long time. The trick is finding the right cman for you. You will want something to help with takedowns so that mana issues don't crop up from overusing 1005. I would suggest charge. At the same time sweep is excellent, too. Some love feint, but I think the other two are generally better. Cheapshots is fun and broad but a little less effective than charge/sweep. If you group hunt side by side is nice but has requirements (cmove rank 2). My suggestion is that you simply take the time to peruse what cmans are available to bards and just take what you think sounds both fun and effective.

Welcome back.

~Galenok
Re: So...new Bard...some hints 11/10/2011 04:34 PM CST
I don't think you really missed much.

Spell order is important I think though.
I'd suggest this order.
414 If you have ready access to this one, shoot for 1019 before worrying about elementals
1019(or 1120)

That obviously should last you a while.

Starting out train points are a bit limited. I'd say to hold off on cman, lores, MMC, scrolls and MIU at first.
MoC, I'd suggest getting the first 5 ranks so you can hit two creatures at once then leave it for a while to work on other things.
As you get the points fill in cmans first, then lores, MMC, scrolls, MIU as you see fit.
For the lores telepathy is going to help increase time between renews and the bonus you get with kai's.
The air lore is going to increase sonic flares and the reduced RT from tonis.
In the end I believe the idea is 27 ranks telepathy(one of the break points for the bonus to kai's) and 75 ranks air lore to get the max reduction from tonis.
Re: So...new Bard...some hints 11/10/2011 04:42 PM CST

Thank you both for the suggestions! That's exactly what I was looking for :D!
Re: So...new Bard...some hints 11/10/2011 05:00 PM CST

Poles are very viable, If you enjoy using them and avoid bolting critters, you'll have a grand time.

As to sonic gear, it is quite awesome all around but at lower levels well money can buy decent armor but it can't (as easily anyway) buy more mana for hunting. Also, you won't have +35 sonic armor until you reach 40 spellsongs. Unless you are one of the wee races, I'd use your permanent armor for awhile. As to cman choices, wouldn't trip be a good one? I seem to remember that being a very powerful knockdown for pole users, and again saving you mana from having to 1005. Slightly less stamina costly then charge...though again not sure the last time I've used either so someone else will have to chime in with clips of success/failures.

Not sure how familiar you are with the spells, but 1001, 1002, and 1005 are all very very powerful low mana cost spells. Makes hunting melee style critters with weapons quite easier.

WB

Lochiven

Re: So...new Bard...some hints 11/10/2011 07:16 PM CST
Polearm DS is surprisingly good. Just get both blues and resist elements for bolt protection and you'll be fine at 1x dodge. Nothing below level 40 bolts very well, any way.

I would never recommend skimping on CM for a polearmer. As a bard, the only training plan I ever was forced to skimp on CM was a TWC bard or a THW bard. Polearms don't suck up the mtp that those two do. You should be alright with the CM. If you need to go light on something for points, then the suggested MMC and MIU/AS is a good place to start.

I'm not a fan of dumping cman points into trip. You can use it without doing so just with polearm training, if you want. Charge has superior crit-kill ability, flares, modifies stance along with possible prone/seated results and stuns. That's a lot for one cman to do, which is why the stamina cost is high. Not saying trip is ineffective but perhaps inefficient.

~Galenok