Using points but skills aren't changing 01/07/2011 12:40 PM CST
I'm in the process of a 30 day skill migration. I go to check in with the points are currently have from hunting. I train in a skill and then leave the inn. Skill hasn't changed. It's migrating. However I just 'trained' this skill with points I had. I'm not migrating anything.

what's up with this?

Player of
Relvar
Re: Using points but skills aren't changing 01/07/2011 01:08 PM CST
It's been a while, but if I recall, 30 day skill migration is pretty fast. But, my recollection is that if you actually use TPs during that time period, they will be used for the migrating skills first.

If you still have one or more 30 day skill migrations left, you can fine tune your skills again when they finish migrating. I haven't had a new character in many years, so things might have changed in the interim, but I remember my skill changes took effect in around 5 minutes.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Using points but skills aren't changing 01/07/2011 01:23 PM CST
If you are in the 30 day fast migration period for new characters, then migration is fast, but not instantaneous. You just have to wait a few minutes for the migration to finish.

If you are doing a normal migration (which also operates on a 30-day cycle) then it gets a bit more complicated to explain.

All you do in the inn is change your target. Your points from hunting are applied to the targets immediately, so you don't see any change in the inn.

Example: you decide you want to increase lore ranks from 0 to 16 (costing 0/6 each = 0/96 total) and will untrain spell ranks from 63 down to 60 (costing 0/32 each = 0/96 total) to get points for them.

You go to the inn and change your targets. Spell ranks start slowly creeping downwards while you sit at a table migrating. When they have crept down enough to release 6 MTP, you get one lore rank.

Your skills now look something like this

Lore 1 (target 16)
Spells 62.783 (target 60)

You decide to go hunting and absorb enough experience to get you another 3 MTP. With some more migration time, another 3 MTP are made available and that total of 6 is enough so you gain another lore rank towards your target.

Your skills now look something like this

Lore 2 (target 16)
Spells 62.668 (target 60)

You go to the inn and decide that what you want with those 3 MTP from hunting is actually a rank of trading. Your skills now look something like this

Lore 2 (target 16)
Spells 62.667 (target 60)
Trading 0 (target 1)

You don't get the trading rank immediately because the points from hunting have already been put towards your lore target. If you want to make sure you get the trading rank next, you need to go to the inn and drop your lore target down to 2, wait until you have enough points from hunting and migration to get the trading rank, and then put the lore target back up.
Re: Using points but skills aren't changing 01/07/2011 03:53 PM CST
oh, and you don't have to go to the inn anymore.. you can type 'goal' and a magic window opens and you can click on things..
Re: Using points but skills aren't changing 01/07/2011 10:46 PM CST
I appreciate you guys responding. I understand trading points and it takes forever. But after I set up the new training goals I began gaining more TP's from hunting and gaining exp. They were available to use immediately for training. I used them to train some new skills and now it appears they somehow are being forced to 'migrate' also even though they weren't part of the migration changes I made. Make sense?

Player of
Relvar
Re: Using points but skills aren't changing 01/08/2011 01:27 AM CST
I can't remember exactly why, but I go by the rule "don't train in any skills, or level up while migrating skill ranks down".
Re: Using points but skills aren't changing 01/08/2011 02:58 PM CST
>I appreciate you guys responding. I understand trading points and it takes forever. But after I set up the new training goals I began gaining more TP's from hunting and gaining exp. They were available to use immediately for training. I used them to train some new skills and now it appears they somehow are being forced to 'migrate' also even though they weren't part of the migration changes I made. Make sense?

Training and migrating aren't two separate systems -- migration is working with the same dynamic pool of training points that your new exp gains are contributing to. So while migrating skills, every new TP you earn from experience gain is going directly to the skills you've told the system you want to migrate your points into (thus shortening the overall migration time, but preventing you from training new skills in the meantime).

Only after your migration "goals" are fully achieved will any new TPs be available to dump into new skills. Even though your exp readouts in-game may say you have points available, if you're currently migrating a large amount of skill ranks your available points are effectively 0/0 until the goals have been met. The game just isn't quite smart enough to tell you this in a clear way.

However you can, as a previous post explained, trick the system into training your new choices first.

Hope that helps,

Dave, Brandain's Bard
Re: Using points but skills aren't changing 01/08/2011 11:05 PM CST
ok, Thanks

Player of
Relvar