In-Game Time to Goal 10/17/2010 06:50 PM CDT
I switched some skills around on my locksmith and am now waiting for skills to migrate. The problem is that every time I look at the SKILLS BASE, the in-game time to goal has increased since the last time I looked. Isn't it supposed to decrease as time passes by?
Re: In-Game Time to Goal 10/17/2010 06:57 PM CDT
Not saying that this is what happened, but it might have: at some point, your rate of skill migration decreases, I forgot the exact numbers, but the original estimate does not take this decrease into account. Once you cross over the decrease point, the estimated time actually increases.

This resets every 30 days of real time, so if your skill migration takes longer than 30 days real time (out of game time), it will again go to the faster rate, at the 30 day mark, and your skill migration times will drastically decrease. Then, once you have migrated a certain number of points, you will again fall into the slower rate, and your estimated time will again increase.

Make sense?

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: In-Game Time to Goal 10/17/2010 07:09 PM CDT
>I switched some skills around on my locksmith and am now waiting for skills to migrate. The problem is that every time I look at the SKILLS BASE, the in-game time to goal has increased since the last time I looked. Isn't it supposed to decrease as time passes by?

Its an estimate. The main source of error is due to the slowing down as you pass thresholds of points migrated in each month. If you are migrating a lot of points it doesn't know whether you will spend a long time migrating them this month, or a short time in game migrating them over the next two months.

The estimate of time going up happens because it doesn't know how much time you are going to spend in the game this month. The more time you actually spend, the more time it assumes you are going to spend, and the greater the proportion of your migration that will be under the slower rates. This can cause your estimated time to sit still, or increase.

The estimated time will eventually start going down, but it won't be accurate until you are in a position to migrate all the remaining points at the highest rate.

Its a bit like estimated times to complete file downloads. If the rate starts fast but then slows, you see those going up too.
Re: In-Game Time to Goal 10/17/2010 07:22 PM CDT
OK, thanks for the detailed explanations. That actually does make sense.
Re: In-Game Time to Goal 10/17/2010 08:02 PM CDT
It's probably best to migrate one skill at a time; easier for both you and the game engine to keep track.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: In-Game Time to Goal 10/17/2010 08:25 PM CDT
The skills that are going away aren't that important anymore; and once her S/H gets to an acceptable level, I can hunt while she continues to migrate.