Used Shield Points to make spikes... flare? 09/06/2013 01:47 PM CDT
tied all my points up in getting my spiked shield to flare, which it has, several times over the past few weeks. Nothing stronger that 10 points, breaking a fingernail. Most were 1 and 5 point flares doing less damage. Please tell me if this is by design so I can quickly dump this skill. Thanks.
Re: Used Shield Points to make spikes... flare? 09/06/2013 02:10 PM CDT
My paladin has had results from what you describe up to stun all the way to death. Most of the time the results are more mild. I hunt in full offensive in my current area so possibly see the spike 'flares' more frequently than you. As a passive skill, I think it works fairly well.

I'll take a look at my spike flare results from hunting the past day or two were and try to post them here.

-- Robert
Re: Used Shield Points to make spikes... flare? 09/06/2013 03:00 PM CDT
The below are all of the blocks with 'spike flares' from three trips out to wind wraiths yesterday with my hunting partner. The wind wraiths don't stun so 1) they got to swing at me more than a normal critter would and 2) you won't see any stun results from the spike flares. Results were between 15 and 30 points of damage and there would have been wounds/stun results as well if wind wraiths could be stunned.

We also made a couple runs out to fire sprites but in reviewing the logs we were stunning the sprites so fast there were only about three swings at me in total so no real opportunity for any spike flares to activate during those hunts.

My paladin is 2x trained in Shield Use, has 5 ranks in Tower Shield Focus, and wind wraiths are about 2 levels lower than me (63 vs. 61). I am not sure what all plays into spikemastery results but guessing those are likely the most relevant items.

-- Robert

>A wind wraith claws at you!
Amazingly, you manage to block the attack with your greatshield!
You manage to angle your eonake scaled greatshield just right so that the wind wraith comes perilously close to the spikes on it!

A spike on your eonake scaled greatshield jabs into the wind wraith!
... 15 points of damage!
The wind wraith glares maliciously as the strike slides through its left hand.

In the nick of time, you interpose your eonake scaled greatshield between yourself and the attack!
You manage to angle your eonake scaled greatshield just right so that the wind wraith comes perilously close to the spikes on it!

... 25 points of damage!
A fine blow splits the back of the hand.
Tendrils of vapor intertwine as the wound seals before your eyes.

At the last moment, you block the attack with your greatshield!

... 25 points of damage!

>A wind wraith whirls into visibility!
A wind wraith claws at you!
At the last moment, you block the attack with your greatshield!

... 15 points of damage!

In the nick of time, you interpose your eonake scaled greatshield between yourself and the attack!

... 25 points of damage!

>att wraithA wind wraith claws at you!
With extreme effort, you block the attack with your greatshield!

... 15 points of damage!

With no room to spare, you block the attack with your eonake scaled greatshield!

... 25 points of damage!

... 30 points of damage!
The wind wraith's hand explodes from the brutal strike!
Trails of ether spurt high into the air in all directions.

... 30 points of damage!
The wind wraith's hand explodes from the brutal strike!
Trails of ether spurt high into the air in all directions.

You barely manage to block the attack with your greatshield!

... 20 points of damage!
Hard blow to the right hand sends fingers flying.
Alas, they reform soundlessly from thin air.

You barely manage to block the attack with your greatshield!

... 20 points of damage!
Hard blow to the left hand sends fingers flying.
Alas, they reform soundlessly from thin air.
Re: Used Shield Points to make spikes... flare? 09/06/2013 05:04 PM CDT
Glad to know there's that to look forward to. I'm yet to see a stun, myself. The 25 and 30 pointers, I've not come close to. 10 max. 2x shield, tower shield, 1609... I'm a blocking fool, but the spike damage so far has been less than impressive. You're getting better results.

A red-hulled airship stained in tears crashes into Solhaven with a "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" sound.
Re: Used Shield Points to make spikes... flare? 09/07/2013 10:20 AM CDT
What critters have you seen the underwhelming results on? Maybe they could have some sort of puncture resistance.