SMANS - As Intended 06/14/2013 07:16 AM CDT

I am using a Medium Shield, which I am masterfully trained trained to use.

Medium Shield Focus 5 ranks.

I have -never- seen the following manuevers in action;

Skill Name: Shield Riposte

Mechanics: This is a Martial Stance. When you are struck by a melee attack while in a forward or greater stance, you have a chance to respond with a free reactive shield bash. This bash deals no damage, but instead knocks your opponent off-balance and into greater roundtime (RT). The chance to react is 50%/75%/100% at Ranks 1/2/3. Larger shields apply a penalty to the reaction chance (-5% per shield size above small), but apply more RT upon a successful bash. Shield Ripostes are limited to one every (6 - Rank) seconds.

This character has the following training in smans and cmans;

Shield Riposte 3 Ranks
Shield Bash 3 Ranks

This one as well;

Skill Name: Deflection Training

Mechanics: Upon successfully blocking a ranged missile or thrown weapon attack while in a forward or greater stance, there is a chance that the attack can be redirected against another enemy creature in the same room (or even the original attacker). This chance is 35%/55%/75% at Ranks 1/2/3.

Deflection Training 3 Ranks

In the world of math, I am aware that there is a chance that the correct answer has not been derived from a random roll. However, in the same world of probability I believe that after a month I should have seen these both occur at least once.

~
Re: SMANS - As Intended 06/14/2013 09:05 AM CDT
Assuming the shield specialization is working as intended (which it may not be), given you have three ranks in SHIELD Riposte an easy way to test would be to go stand with the rabid squirrels (or any low level creature), set your stance to OFFENSIVE, and log 5 or 10 successful shield blocks in a row. If you don't see at least a couple of successful Ripostes then it is probably broken.

-- Robert
Re: SMANS - As Intended 06/14/2013 02:57 PM CDT

Silly question but...as Shield Riposte is a martial stance, have you activated said stance and let it remain active for its full 4 hour duration?
Re: SMANS - As Intended 06/14/2013 10:21 PM CDT
Shield Riposte was used to activate the stance. I saw some really neat shield blocking messages after 15 or 20 minutes standing with a room full of squirrels, never saw any retaliation from the maneuver. So, I moved to Dwellers, which have a slightly better chance than a squirrel to actually hit me.

The maneuver worked as intended;

A krag dweller pounds at you with its fist!
Some bronzed mithril chain armor partially deflects the onslaught of the crushing attack.
AS: +391 vs DS: +295 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +49 = +187
... and hits for 10 points of damage!
Broken finger on your left hand!

Reacting instantly to the blow, you lash out with your red fireleaf shield at the krag dweller!
[Roll result: 154 (open d100: 59) Penalties: 12]
Your attack connects!
A krag dweller is knocked off-balance!

Your red fireleaf shield releases a blast of vibrating energy at the krag dweller!

... 20 points of damage!
Strike glances off the chest.

Thanks for the input.

~