Savants can meditate. 06/02/2011 01:20 PM CDT
So this might not be news to folks (can't search the archives of the forums), but I noticed when I mediate it says:

>> Only a Cleric, Empath or Savant has the natural ability to gain true benefits from meditating.

So Savants will be able to meditate. Monks won't be able to.

That is all.
Re: Savants can meditate. 06/02/2011 01:32 PM CDT
Out of curiosity, can Paladins meditate?

If they can, then perhaps it would be safe to say that in game messaging might be a bit outdated, as in worrying about the Y2K bug dated, if not before.

But if Paladins cannot meditate, then, well, perhaps it would be accurate that monks couldn't either? I dunno!
Re: Savants can meditate. 06/02/2011 04:49 PM CDT
Paladins cannot meditate. How it was explained to me is that Clerics are a legacy hold over for meditation. It is supposed to be a mentalist act, not a religious one. That being said, it would make sense for Monks to be able to meditate, as they have access to MnM.
Re: Savants can meditate. 06/02/2011 05:43 PM CDT
Thanks for that respnose. Interesting! I had just assumed OOCly it was somehow tied to MajS.
Re: Savants can meditate. 03/14/2012 07:22 PM CDT
Wait. Monks won't be able to meditate? Meditation is absolutely fundamental to BEING a monk. If you can't meditate, you're not a monk. All the mental discipline, and a good part of the martial arts prowess, COMES from meditation. Otherwise you're just wearing a robe and waving your arms and legs about.

Sure, suspension of disbelief and all that. But the idea of monks who can't meditate is completely jarring to me. How about simply adding functionality to the meditate verb, so that monks have a different form of meditation from empaths and clerics? It doesn't even have to be functional, necessarily, but it should be distinct from other classes.

Secondly, since this is the Savant folder...WHY can savants meditate? That actually makes no sense, as a savant's mental control is supposedly inherent, rather than learned. A savant shouldn't NEED to meditate, as his or her abilities are innate. In fact, a true savant might find meditation very difficult or even impossible, as the mental chatter they experience is part of their power. Maybe I misunderstand the concept of savant, but I can't see how it fits.

Monks practice true meditation to silence the mind, freeing themselves from hesitation, judgement and grasping that would hinder their fighting ability. You simply can't perform the amazing martial arts feats monks are known for without plenty of meditation. It's fundamental. Obviously, physical training is still the real meat of the profession, but strict control of the mind is what makes superhuman feats possible.

By contrast, if there's one verb I think Savants should RULE it's the SENSE command. They should be able to use SENSE to glean information from players and monsters, such as available mana, the presence of certain mind-related spells and effects, maybe even hidden info like society affiliation. They're the true "psychics" of the world, right?

Food for thought? :)

Heathyr and friends
Re: Savants can meditate. 03/15/2012 11:39 AM CDT
>>But the idea of monks who can't meditate is completely jarring to me. How about simply adding functionality to the meditate verb, so that monks have a different form of meditation from empaths and clerics? It doesn't even have to be functional, necessarily, but it should be distinct from other classes.<<

Actualy, any character of any profession can meditate, they just don't get any benefits from it the way clerics, empaths (and possibly savants, assuming they will ever even be released) can. The main benefits of meditation is increased mana regeneration rate. If monks are designed as not primary spiritual spell casters, then they won't get this effect. You want a seperate messaging for monks meditating that others can see? OK, that's a reasonable request, maybe it will come to pass.

The bells of Hell
go ting-a-ling-a-ling
for you but not for me
Re: Savants can meditate. 08/31/2012 02:23 PM CDT
>>Actualy, any character of any profession can meditate<<

Incorrect
Re: Savants can meditate. 08/31/2012 06:34 PM CDT
Only a Cleric, Empath or Savant has the natural ability to gain true benefits from meditating.
You begin to meditate on your lot in life.

Correct.

~James
Player of Septimius