Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 11/14/2016 06:19 PM CST
Something I've been thinking about lately. Considering the necrotic nature of ensorcelling, does anyone consider it to be evil or at least morally dubious to use? Would a righteous Lawful Good paladin use it? Would a selfish rogue think twice?
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 11/14/2016 06:58 PM CST
My elf stalwartly refuses to use that Faendryl blasphemy.

which is a shame cuz it'd really help
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 11/14/2016 08:20 PM CST

Pup does refuse to use it as he sees it as a slight against nature.
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 11/14/2016 09:03 PM CST
The Elf likewise refuses to consider it. The giantkin, however, enjoys it immensely.

Doug
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 11/14/2016 10:34 PM CST
Bah, let the white knights look down their noses, it's harder to fight with eyes crossed like that. They kill and/or release just as many as we do, the only difference is we waste less of our kills then they do.

We put the necrotic energy, which would otherwise be lost to the void, to work helping not just ourselves, but our fellow adventurers as well. They say we are doing unnatural work, but I would ask them which Arkati the energy of the undead or those working against civilization would benefit? The one they follow or their chosen Arkati's enemy?

Let them pin on their good guy badges and parade their ignorance where they will. Their moral certitude backed by ignorance makes them weak while our knowledge makes us strong!

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 11/15/2016 02:57 AM CST
My very righteous elven Voln cleric happens to use a T5 ensorcelled runestaff. It's actually an integral part of her roleplay and works brilliantly in keeping her backstory alive.

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Rohese
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 11/15/2016 04:16 AM CST
>Would a righteous Lawful Good paladin use it?

My Voln Zealot paladin uses an ensorcelled weapon. Using it to protect himself (armor or shield) might be dodgy, but as for the weapon that smites the undead, it can be considered like the freed souls assisting to release the trapped ones. If necromantic energy was only gained by sorcerers for slaying the living, it might be a different matter, but as it stands I see no issue for my character--but it's worth a thought at least.
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 11/15/2016 05:07 PM CST
>My very righteous elven Voln cleric happens to use a T5 ensorcelled runestaff. It's actually an integral part of her roleplay and works brilliantly in keeping her backstory alive.

Go on...
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 11/15/2016 05:56 PM CST
Leafi definitely refuses to go anywhere near ensorcelling. Ironically, it's not even so much that she feels uneasy about it as a cleric or even as a half-sylvan, but more that she's generally unfamiliar with sorcerers' magic and doesn't trust things she's unfamiliar with. (And she's also too impatient to bother learning about it.)

It's a lot of mechanical benefit to give up considering she's already fighting the gameplay tooth and nail by being a brawler, but I'll never compromise character integrity.

AIM: sweetleafiara@gmail.com
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 11/15/2016 07:17 PM CST
Seo also doesn't want ensorcelling. When it was first introduced, she was unsettled by it, and then when the Voln armor was introduced with its specific resistance against ensorcelling, she took that as a sign from the patron himself that frowned upon.

Other characters of mine probably would go for it if any of them could afford it-- it looks pretty badass ;)

/seo, wheels and skulls department/
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 11/15/2016 11:18 PM CST
>but more that she's generally unfamiliar with sorcerers' magic and doesn't trust things she's unfamiliar with.

This is a perfectly legitimate perspective.

Though it reminds me to further on the RP of my own paladin. He's the palestra of my main (a sorcerer), and in payment for his services, his armor and weapon were provided. (This fits well in a lot of ways, but is also an OOC means to understand how my paladin has ridiculously nice gear.) So it firstly removes any issue my Voln paladin has implicitly with sorcerers, and also I guess if my paladin had to try to "reason with" my sorcerer in a sort of debate it cannot go well. My paladin is younger than my sorcerer, but my sorcerer claims him as his grandfather. I wouldn't say crazy runs in the family by any means but, if it's going to be an 8x weapon for killing demons and undead, it's hard to see my paladin taking The Bane of Luukos (as it is named) and pouring an anti-ensorcell potion on it.

TLTR; I like that my paladin has an ensorcelled weapon and Voln armor. It's a good balance of what you should and shouldn't do :D
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 11/16/2016 10:05 AM CST
>>Go on... (Vicimer)

Long story short ...

IC version: Rohese was cursed by her older sister which left her mute. After years of soul-searching, she became an acolyte and devoted herself to Lumnis. In return, Lumnis offered to inhibit the power of the curse (not able to actually cure her) and duly gifted her with a pair of ice wings. The perpetual cold that now envelops her body keeps the affliction at bay and allows Rohese to live a fairly normal life. During moments of weakness however, when she's feeling most vulnerable, the curse will try to overcome her and she struggles daily to keep it under control.

OOC version: When I first rolled up Rohese she was mute. After a couple of years, I decided it was time to lift the "curse" and have her speak again (we didn't have chalkboards or writeable tomes back then and it was pretty hard trying to communicate through verbs alone). I was fortunate enough to acquire the ice wings in the EG auction back in 2009 and the idea of "perpetual cold inhibiting the curse" was the perfect opportunity to (a) explain how she was now sporting a pair of wings, (b) how she was now able to speak, and (c) finally have her looking more like Narnia's White Queen! As for the ensorcelling part, she wields a T5 ensorcelled/4x acuity runestaff when she "ventures into the wild" because, let's face it, the mechanical benefits are just too good to pass up, but also because the random messaging for both aspects when activated are a perfect representation of her daily struggle between light and dark.

Hope that all makes sense. Just click on the gsguide link in my signature if you'd like to read her full story!

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Rohese
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 12/08/2016 10:20 AM CST
I wrote a short IC essay on this topic, available here:

https://gswiki.play.net/The_Courtesan:_A_Reflection_on_Necrotic_Energy
Re: Ensorcelling from an RP Perspective 12/31/2016 05:58 AM CST
The trouble with a question like this is that we do not have an especially well-defined "science" or theory of magic for sorcery, so two characters can make very different metaphysical interpretations of what is happening with no real way of deciding the matter objectively. In DragonRealms "sorcery" is seemingly defined as what happens when you cross different kinds of essences, which are fundamentally incompatible, so this "unnatural" magic is generally violent or corrupting in some way.

The messaging on 735 refers to "unnatural" surges of power. There is not all that much you can infer from it. (The CMAN "Tainted Bond" calls it "tainted.")

(1) Sorcerers store whatever "necrotic energy" is like a battery, which does not dissipate or get used up when flares happen.
(2) Temporarily ensorcelled items will not dissipate, but it shrivels up after a time duration not based on necrotic energy.
(3) Permanently ensorcelled items will not dissipate, and pack more punch from concentrating more necrotic energy.
(4) Lower concentrations of necrotic energy get repelled by stronger concentrations.
(5) Necrotic energy does get wasted in failed attempts to actually transfer it.
(6) Sorcerers absorb it from killing whatever, not just the "living."

Additionally:
(7) This "draining" is weaker than the power from directly channeling and converting the severed "animus" of a single living target.
(8) Necromancy skill makes the sorcerer channel more of it, only possible from slaying similar or more powerful entities.
(9) Sorcerers pick up necrotic energy passively, just short of from the surroundings, in contrast to active Sacrifices.
(10) The concentration and capacity for channeling it is what matters. The amount a sorcerer has does not.

This leads me to suspect a temporary ensorcellment is channeling the sorcerer's own reserves as an ordinary mana-based spell, which would be why the "necrotic film" does not work for other classes, and that the action is the backlash caused by interaction of the necrotic energy which does not go anywhere. The weapon would just basically be a necrotic battery, which makes it give off a strange haze, fused to its material structure. The useful stuff that happens is just a side effect. This is masked by misleading messaging of necrotic energy flowing into you from the weapon. The flare is some "surge" which has consequences, boosting or restoring other energies.

I'm not familiar with whatever story event (if any) was involved with the spell release. Planar Shift was Illistim sorcery. I would not regard it as necessarily much different from the Confluence soulstones that are fueled by killing elementals, which Alusius said do not have "souls" and the objects are just absorbing elemental energy from them. Of course, this notion of "same level kills" adds the wrinkle that it isn't the power of the thing slain, but only things of enough power versus the necromancer.

Philosophize that as you will. One plausible interpretation would be that necrotic energy repels from itself in concentration gradients, so only beings of similar power can be passively sapped, and the sorcerer is limited in how much he can channel from a more powerful target (similar to how things are too powerful to Sacrifice.)

In contrast, my character has always (perversely) argued that Order of Voln members do not actually draw "favor" from the Liabo gods like Cleric spells, but instead are acting like vampires from being in the presence of souls being broken from their undead forms. And that energy gets used directly (dissipates) in Voln symbols. It is worth considering that Sacrifice has the premise of severing that kind of bond (only in living creatures) and converting the life force while being unrelated to the soul. It will be turned into more mana, heal the damage to animates, or become a dark haze of necrosis. Necrotic energy in 735 does similar things to the wielder of the weapon.

- Xorus' player

>Level: 46
>Strongest foe vanquished: an infernal lich